filmlover

SAG Discussion thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

He probably still thinks mother! is gonna get an Oscar nom for even Sound Editing. 

Yes, it will.

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Yeah, last year you could have made the argument, "They didn't nominate La La Land because it didn't have an ensemble!" (And still remember, La La Land missed and lost the Oscar)

But when your movie is ensemble based like the Post (as well as Shape of Water, Dunkirk, CMBYN, and The Florida Project) and you missed, it does indicate a lack of support from a major branch.  That's especially true when your movie missed a lot of key nominations like CMBYN did with Hammer/Stuhlberg and The Post did with Streep and Hanks.

Also, I think the Big Sick (despite a Globe miss in comedy) is a strong contender for the ninth slot, if there will be nine, now.  I'd also say Mudbound, but I'm too skeptical of the academy shutting it out because of it being Netflix.  

How can a group support something when the vast majority of members haven't seen the film?

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2012 Supporting Actor lineup at SAG:

Alan Arkin

Javier Barden

Robert De Niro

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Tommy Lee Jones

Oscar winner:

85_PC_0003-2.jpg

Not saying it can't happen, but Waltz was picking up more precursor wins than Streep is right now.  If Streep gets both the BAFTA and Globe, I'd say she'd have a chance, but I don't think I'd predict that (maybe she gets the Globe, but I don't see her getting the BAFTA over Ronan or McDormand)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes, it will.

How can a group support something when the vast majority of members haven't seen the film?

Maybe that argument plays out.  But it is historically hard for late-comers in the race to become the major frontrunner.  Especially when The Post is a movie that's liked, but isn't getting massive amounts of acclaim.  It has a fair amount of people that don't like it, which is death when you're thinking of a preferential ballot that prefers the movie everyone likes and will place within their top 3 noms.

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Maybe that argument plays out.  But it is historically hard for late-comers in the race to become the major frontrunner.  Especially when The Post is a movie that's liked, but isn't getting massive amounts of acclaim.  It has a fair amount of people that don't like it, which is death when you're thinking of a preferential ballot that prefers the movie everyone likes and will place within their top 3 noms.

You also have to look at the current political climate. Giving The Post the win would be a huge middle finger to Trump, especially with one of his favorite actresses in it :lol: 

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You also have to look at the current political climate. Giving The Post the win would be a huge middle finger to Trump, especially with one of his favorite actresses in it :lol: 

I think Hollywood has moved beyond politics and is more focused on the sexual harassment cases that are happening right now. Given all of that, I think everything is really moving in Lady Bird's direction (if a "women's movie" is gonna win any year, it might as well be this one).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I think Hollywood has moved beyond politics and is more focused on the sexual harassment cases that are happening right now. Given all of that, I think everything is really moving in Lady Bird's direction (if a "women's movie" is gonna win any year, it might as well be this one).

The Me Too movement helps Three Billboards out a lot more than Lady Bird IMO

34 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Three Billboards, Get Out and Lady Bird are all politically relevant as well (and all of them would be answers to Hollywood controversies from this year and last year).  They awarded a similar film to the Post, Spotlight, just two years ago and there isn't much indication that the Academy is necessarily going to award a movie as a political statement.

Further, if the political statement aspect were true, you'd have seen SAG and other critics start following through.  There's obviously room for other precursors to start giving the Post awards, but as of right now I don't think it's in contention.

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, Best Actor is such a headache now. Call Me by Your Name is clearly losing steam, but it's not like Darkest Hour has much to begin with aside from Oldman. If the former also ends up missing Best Picture, that'll make it even worse.

Have faith in Tiny Tim.

Spoiler

Or perhaps Franco will swoop in and fumble his way to the win. :ph34r: (Get it? fumble? :ph34r:)

Late screeners or not Meryl missing for a well-reviewed "relevant" movie is kinda shocking. She will still make the oscar line-up. And I guess Chastain aint happening after all :(

I guess what I got from these nominations is that 3 billboards even after not winning enough critics awards is still the frontrunner of sorts and Lady Bird, Get Out look like the other real conteders.

• Like 1

I think Chalamet needed Call Me by Your Name to be a top 5 contender for him to have a chance at winning. But it clearly isn't.

I think it's a given at this point that Oldman is gonna win for a film that's not up for Best Picture. It has happened in the past decade (since the expansion, Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, Christopher Plummer, Cate Blanchett, and Julianne Moore all won for movies that weren't up for the top prize), it can happen again this year.

Edited by filmlover