Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

When/if Sinemia becomes less convoluted/confusing to use (right now having to manually enter info, switch back and forth from apps to buy the ticket, enter a temporary credit card number, etc, is just not convenient at alland has a better app design, etc, then I will consider signing up with them. I would love to have a good subscription service for movies.

Moviepass and AMC Stubs A-list aren't available in Canada, so neither of those are options for me either, and obviously the whole surge-pricing situation with Moviepass is not ideal anyway.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

When/if Sinemia becomes less convoluted/confusing to use (right now having to manually enter info, switch back and forth from apps to buy the ticket, enter a temporary credit card number, etc, is just not convenient at alland has a better app design, etc, then I will consider signing up with them. I would love to have a good subscription service for movies.

Moviepass and AMC Stubs A-list aren't available in Canada, so neither of those are options for me either, and obviously the whole surge-pricing situation with Moviepass is not ideal anyway.

Peace,

Mike

Yeah thats weird re sinemia. I had them for about 6 months. They used to send actual credit cards to their customers, but im guessing it wasn't cost effective to do so.

This company is so stupid.  What's to keep a person from grabbing a ticket to whatever is not surge pricing and walking into whatever they want (assuming it's not full)?  Will they next want video of you watching the entire movie?

But in the end the people who ran this moviepass hype cycle made millions.  They didn't need this to succeed to do it.  They only needed to hype it enough to get naive investors to buy in for a time

Edited by Rumpot
  • Like 1

I guess I should cancel... now? I was keeping it because theres a local theater that places indie and international movies, but now it seems like moviepass will cease to exist.

UPDATE: just cancelled. doesn't matter though because the company is going under 

Edited by YLF

I will say, this saddens me. 

I bought a year sub last November for $90. So, from a financial POV, I am not out anything. I used my MoviePass like 50+ times.  And because of that, I have at least 6 or 7 comp tickets from the theater due to my loyalty card. 

I am saddened because: 

1. We’re up in New England. Unless our big local chain decides to create a sub program, I won’t see something like this for a long time. And with no AMCs I can’t just switch over to A-List. 

2. RIP your mid level films for the rest of the year. Looking at the schedule, there are five or six I would have seen with MoviePass. Now, I can either wait or will skip all together. I will probably be go back to Tuesdays (triple points) and Wednesday’s (discount prices), skip weekends and evenings, and probably only come out for Disney/MCU films on OW. 

I wish they would have just raised their prices or created a tier system (ala Netflix). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Just 

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I will say, this saddens me. 

I bought a year sub last November for $90. So, from a financial POV, I am not out anything. I used my MoviePass like 50+ times.  And because of that, I have at least 6 or 7 comp tickets from the theater due to my loyalty card. 

I am saddened because: 

1. We’re up in New England. Unless our big local chain decides to create a sub program, I won’t see something like this for a long time. And with no AMCs I can’t just switch over to A-List. 

2. RIP your mid level films for the rest of the year. Looking at the schedule, there are five or six I would have seen with MoviePass. Now, I can either wait or will skip all together. I will probably be go back to Tuesdays (triple points) and Wednesday’s (discount prices), skip weekends and evenings, and probably only come out for Disney/MCU films on OW. 

I wish they would have just raised their prices or created a tier system (ala Netflix). 

That sucks. Until someone mentioned it on this sub I thought at least one AMC was near most people. It seems more people have regals near them than AMC's. There is only one regal I know about in LA.

Edited by YLF

25 minutes ago, YLF said:

I guess I should cancel... now? I was keeping it because theres a local theater that places indie and international movies, but now it seems like moviepass will cease to exist.

UPDATE: just cancelled. doesn't matter though because the company is going under 

Yea I cancelled mine. The company is going under regardless so might as well cancel. 

I echo @captainwondyful sentiments though. I know I’ve said this a million times in this thread but I’m still sad to see that MP didn’t work out. Granted I knew it wouldn’t but it’s still sad because I definitely saw sooo many films this summer that I would have never given a chance to seeing without MP. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YLF said:

Just 

That sucks. Until someone mentioned it on this sub I thought at least one AMC was near most people. It seems more people have regals near them than AMC's. There is only one regal I know about in LA.

The nearest AMC is 80 miles away, and the nearest Regal is 40 miles away.

On the other hand, we don’t have a LIEMAX 

Not going to criticize people being disappointed in MP finally going under, because hey, getting pretty much unlimited movies for the last 10 months or so is a lot of fun.

But MP was always borrowed time.  They were either going to sink or change their pricing model, and it looks like they sunk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rumpot said:

This company is so stupid.  What's to keep a person from grabbing a ticket to whatever is not surge pricing and walking into whatever they want (assuming it's not full)?  Will they next want video of you watching the entire movie?

That's what I did when they first introduced surge pricing. But yesterday when I saw TTG, every single movie had a surcharge, so there was no way around it.

Like I said, though, I've seen almost $300 worth of movies since December, while paying only $80 to MP, so I can't say I'm either surprised or upset by how this turned out.

It's unlikely I'll be going to the movies much between now and that crazy October-December period where there's like two movies a week on average that I want to see so I'm gonna give it until mid-September to decide which plan I want to go with since I'm sure plenty of competitors will be stepping up in light of MP's demise.

• Like 1