Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

On 6/16/2018 at 6:16 AM, ChrisTelclear said:

This sounds a lot like what happened during the Red Sparrow opening weekend.  They are doing another "experiment" to prove to the studios what kind of impact they can have on the market by blocking people in one area from seeing a specific movie with their MoviePass on opening night. It's done randomly and some people never see it.

Yes, it seems to be back to normal now, so don't know what was  up. I'll see if it happens again with JW nighttime showings this weekend. 

AMC is allegedly coming out with their own version soon. Apparently 19.95 a month for 3 movies per week, you can see the same movie, and some option for premium formats are available. Im not sure how accurate this is so take it with a grain of salt. 

Edited by YLF

7 minutes ago, YLF said:

AMC is allegedly coming out with their own version soon. Apparently 19.99 for 3 movies per week, you can see the same movie, and some option for premium formats are available. Im not sure how accurate this is so take it with a grain of salt. 

That’s $100 a month. Even if they come out with it, I can’t see it being all that successful given the price point. At my AMC a regular ticket is $14 but if I watch a matinee it’s $7 so this 3 movies for $19.99 a week is equal to watching 3 matinees and if I include the discount Tuesday price it would be the same thing. 2 movies for $14 plus the one movie for $5 on Tuesday which would equal $19 a week and that’s without committing $20 every single week 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

That’s $100 a month. Even if they come out with it, I can’t see it being all that successful given the price point. At my AMC a regular ticket is $14 but if I watch a matinee it’s $7 so this 3 movies for $19.99 a week is equal to watching 3 matinees and if I include the discount Tuesday price it would be the same thing. 2 movies for $14 plus the one movie for $5 on Tuesday which would equal $19 a week and that’s without committing $20 every single week 

I'm pretty sure it's $20 per month.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YLF said:

AMC is allegedly coming out with their own version soon. Apparently 19.99 for 3 movies per week, you can see the same movie, and some option for premium formats are available. Im not sure how accurate this is so take it with a grain of salt. 

Meh, don't know why anyone would do that over MP. Seeing the same movie multiple times isn't enough of a hook to pay $10 more per month and only have access to one theater chain instead of all of them. 

38 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm pretty sure it's $20 per month.

Mess at me misreading it :sparta:

I was about to say. What kind of damn deal is that. If that’s the case then I can def see it being successful once MP goes under. That’s 12 movies a month. Pretty good if you ask me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Meh, don't know why anyone would do that over MP. Seeing the same movie multiple times isn't enough of a hook to pay $10 more per month and only have access to one theater chain instead of all of them. 

Won't have a choice. Sinemia maybe.  Moviepass is desperately trying to raise money with a 20 cent stock...

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

Won't have a choice. Sinemia maybe.  Moviepass is desperately trying to raise money with a 20 cent stock...

Sinemia is worse than this though. You get roughly 2-3 tickets per month, and if you use it they try to raise the price on you after 6 months if you're on the monthly plan. Also, if you have the plan where you can see a premium movie in IMAX/Dolby once a month... its per every 30 days. So for instance if you wanted to see Jurassic world 2 in dolby and see Ant man in July in IMAX you couldn't because it hasn't been 30 days even though its two different months. its dumb.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Mess at me misreading it :sparta:

I was about to say. What kind of damn deal is that. If that’s the case then I can def see it being successful once MP goes under. That’s 12 movies a month. Pretty good if you ask me. 

A bit higher (52 week, only 12 month) a month is 4.33 week in average, it is 13 movies a month, for $19.99, close to $1.50 by possible watch.

Now they have many advantage over a movie pass that make this a much more sustainable deal, they actually get the full extra food&beverage commission if there is some, the client maximizing the deal cost them less, they only have to pay the 50% that goes to the studio and it is twice the price.  And they come from a better starting point to negotiate with the MPAA.

I’m already a Stubs member so I’d be interested in seeing what they come up with. We have an AMC where I live and that’s where we go to se pretty much every movie. I do like MP though. Just in the last month and a half me, my wife and son have seen IW, Solo and I2. My son and I saw DP2 and Upgrade while my wife and a couple of her friends saw O8. There’s plenty of movies still to come this Summer so I’m definitely getting my money’s worth. 

The only downside is that AMC doesn’t let you use the Stubs card toward the tickets that you get with MP. I can only use it at the concessions stand. 

7 hours ago, YLF said:

24phsoj.png 

This is a "leaked" pic. Again, It seems to be valid. This is better than any deal I imagined from a big corporation such as AMC.

I might even do this deal, considering a new AMC opened up near me with Dolby.  It's a bit expensive compared to the other theaters, but it's nice, and this plan would cover that.  I just don't want to have to commit to a singular chain.

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Would AMC really be that low in all markets. Its $25 for Imax tickets alone in big markets. Biggest drawback would be that most AMC theaters are terrible experience even if the theater is nice.

I have never had a bad AMC experience and they make up the majority of the theaters we go to. 

46 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Check out @MoviePass’s Tweet:

Haha, losers

lol @ Moviepass 

You fellas don't have a model.

You've been treading water from the start and now the sharks are finally going in for the kill. 

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

They know this is one of, if not the fatal blow. 

haha, yep.  They are implying they weren't motivated by profit...just wanted people to see more movies.  I wonder how their shareholders that lost 99%+ of their money would feel about that.  I tend to think they were in it to make money.  If they wanted to give money away, even the people on this website can agree ,there are more worthwhile charities (than a middle-class movie welfare plan)...