Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

2 hours ago, YLF said:

I didnt realize so many people wouldnt have an AMC near by. I thought there would be at least one AMC locally to people.

Fun fact:  There isn't a single AMC in Northern California outside of the Bay Area or San Joaquin Valley (that's the southern half of the Central Valley).  There's only one in Oregon (in Corvallis) and in Nevada (Las Vegas).  Are a shit ton in Southern California and Washington, though.

And unless AMC buys out another small-ish chain, I don't see one coming to my neck of the woods any time soon as I just don't see any room for them locally. They'd have to buy out one of the smaller chains that's here like Cinema West.  Just don't see many areas in town that are underserved by theaters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fun fact:  There isn't a single AMC in Northern California outside of the Bay Area or San Joaquin Valley (that's the southern half of the Central Valley).  There's only one in Oregon (in Corvallis) and in Nevada (Las Vegas).  Are a shit ton in Southern California and Washington, though.

And unless AMC buys out another small-ish chain, I don't see one coming to my neck of the woods any time soon as I just don't see any room for them locally. They'd have to buy out one of the smaller chains that's here like Cinema West.  Just don't see many areas in town that are underserved by theaters.

Thats insane. I live in LA, so I guess thats why theres a ton near me. I always see headlines "AMC the biggest chain in the world," so I assumed they dominated most of the U.S, too. They did end up buying this small theater chain that is in LA and I believe there was one in SF. In LA it was called sunset cinemas. Not sure if that was the name for the theater they had in SF. So, it is a possibility they'll eventually buy out other small chains, too.

They also bought a local laemmles location near me. They seem to be wanting to expand.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just don't see many areas in town that are underserved by theaters.

*thinks about one area of town*

*checks*

Jeeezus.  Even the old down-on-its-luck Country Club Plaza is getting a new movie complex in Jan 2019. :lol:  The aforementioned Cinema West is gonna open up a 13 screen multiplex there.  That was legitimately one of the few areas locally I could think of that was slightly underserved and used to have a cheap second-run movie complex there.

About the only other place for growth might be out in the satellite cities in the area, but even there I'm doubtful.  With the new one at Country Club Plaza plus the new Century Arden Movie Bristo that is opening up next to Century Arden, that'll make six new/heavily remodeled theaters in town in the last three years with about 64 new/updated screens between them all. 

Yeaaaah.  Really not thinking I'll see an AMC in my neck of the woods any time soon. ;)

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, YLF said:

So, it is a possibility they'll eventually buy out other small chains, too.

Yeah, they've bought out a lot of smaller chains before.  That's how they could have gotten a foothold here, but both Regal (by buying out Edwards and getting the theater holdings of United Artists) and Cinemark (by buying out Syufy [which operated mostly under the still kept Century brand name]) beat them to the punch here.

There are still a couple of other small chains out in the boondocks and small cities, but Regal, Cinemark, and the up and rising Cinema West hold the cards here locally for everything outside of the art house/indie films. 

Edited by Porthos

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Seriously. I feel like I’m in a minority on here :lol: 

I only have 1 AMC theoretically close - and the enormous crazy traffic to get there means it's the equivalent of 60 miles away (I never go there, unless they give me free tickets...and even then, I don't even always use them:)...

C'mon Regal or Cinemark (do better) - come out with the FAMILY PLAN and take out all the competition who just can't seem to get this right:)...

• Like 1

I would rather keep a meh moviepass plan than a plan exclusive to a particular theater honestly. The sheer number of theaters in NYC that accept moviepass is enormous and a lot of them play either very select indies or screen older films that are not going to be at big chain theaters, which is a big reason why I got it.

• Like 4

I just got a*list and its amazing lol reserving seats in advance and seeing movies in premium even once per month makes it worth it. Dolby/Imax in LA can be 25-30 dollars depending on the amc theater you go to

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The peak pricing notice just went out. RIP!

Is it gonna be on Ant-Man this weekend, b/c that could matter for OW, especially since this is looking to be more walk up than presale vs usual MCU...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Is it gonna be on Ant-Man this weekend, b/c that could matter for OW, especially since this is looking to be more walk up than presale than usual MCU...

I think it's starting literally right now after that email was sent?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ooofff....well, I guess we'll see how this affects the weekend...

Is Ant-Man 2 upcharged for every showing if they are already upcharging an 8 week old movie on a Thursday night showing?

Avengers was just an example from their website. In theory early showings should not have peak pricing for Antman or if you buy ticket before noon. But i don't trust Moviepass at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Avengers was just an example from their website. In theory early showings should not have peak pricing for Antman or if you buy ticket before noon. But i don't trust Moviepass at all.

Yeah I really doubt they are doing this to distribute and help low days theater business, it is clearly a move to try to bleed so much money for when they big movies come out.