Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

^^^^^^

I literally take a picture as I'm walking to my theater. It takes 15-30 seconds to upload and then tells you it has been accepted. No time lost at all. 

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

Then I'm still unsure of what you're intent was.

To offer a possible suggestion on why Incredibles 2 was at peak pricing even a month after release. That is all. 

The stock is down to the prior equivalent of under 3 cents! After the 250 to 1 reverse split at $0.09 it has fallen from $22.50 to $7 in less than 2 days.  They have no way to pay for these movie tickets now because they can't sell their stock (no one wants it) so they are making the subscribers pay for it.  I guess you can say moviepass technically isn't dead yet, but I argue that yes $7.95-9.95/month moviepass IS dead.  If you continue to use it as you did before then you're gonna pay > $20/month.  

As soon as my sinemia runs out I'm probably going to switch to A-list

The peak pricing really is out of control. The first weekend I saw it show up, it was $3.75 and it was only movies opening that weekend, and not even all showtimes, which makes sense. 

Now, a couple weeks later, and it’s a Thursday night. Realistically you’d expect Mission Impossible and Teen Titans to hit peak pricing. But at my local Regal in Ohio, which I wouldn’t even consider a busy theatre except Fri-Sun, they’ve also got Mamma Mia (partially understandable), Skyscraper (wtf?), Equalizer 2, and Ant Man (3 week’s after release). And peak is now $6! The only shit that’s not on peak is Sorry to Bother You, Incredibles, Jurassic World, Sicario, and Ocean’s 8. All of which I’ve seen. 

Im fine not seeing things opening weekend, or over some holiday period between Christmas and New Years while I avoid peak pricing. But Ant Man and Skyscraper? There are 5 tickets sold between them an hour before showtime. Jesus Christ. Hell, 90 mins out and Equalizer only has 3 tickets sold, and Mamma Mia none.  How do these showtimes justify peak pricing? What data are they basing this on? And 2 hours out and Teen Titans has 9 tickets sold, while MI6 in 2.5 hours has zero sold. 

They want to institute peak pricing, fine, but at least make reasonable decisions based on actual data, not just some asshole in an office somewhere trying to milk every extra dollar they can before they close up show. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

The peak pricing really is out of control. The first weekend I saw it show up, it was $3.75 and it was only movies opening that weekend, and not even all showtimes, which makes sense. 

Now, a couple weeks later, and it’s a Thursday night. Realistically you’d expect Mission Impossible and Teen Titans to hit peak pricing. But at my local Regal in Ohio, which I wouldn’t even consider a busy theatre except Fri-Sun, they’ve also got Mamma Mia (partially understandable), Skyscraper (wtf?), Equalizer 2, and Ant Man (3 week’s after release). And peak is now $6! The only shit that’s not on peak is Sorry to Bother You, Incredibles, Jurassic World, Sicario, and Ocean’s 8. All of which I’ve seen. 

Im fine not seeing things opening weekend, or over some holiday period between Christmas and New Years while I avoid peak pricing. But Ant Man and Skyscraper? There are 5 tickets sold between them an hour before showtime. Jesus Christ. Hell, 90 mins out and Equalizer only has 3 tickets sold, and Mamma Mia none.  How do these showtimes justify peak pricing? What data are they basing this on? And 2 hours out and Teen Titans has 9 tickets sold, while MI6 in 2.5 hours has zero sold. 

They want to institute peak pricing, fine, but at least make reasonable decisions based on actual data, not just some asshole in an office somewhere trying to milk every extra dollar they can before they close up show. 

Every single movie at every single theater chain in my area was at peak pricing this afternoon. Needless to say I didn’t watch anything. Ironically, this is the first time I’ve seen peak pricing on my app. I thought it was going to be for MI or Teen Titans but nope every movie at every theater during every show time had it. 

Moviepass did serve its purpose - it brought domestic theaters into the "subscription" game (see Cinemark and now AMC) at a much more reasonable for the consumer price point, and it started a whole bunch of other outside competitors (see Sinemia).  It couldn't be the success story other "game changers" were in other industries, but it helped out the consumer greatly...and probably the industry, too, since it brought back a wave of movie goers and restarted movie going habits.

It will probably be in tons of business case studies, both pro and con, for years to come...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Guess I picked a good day to cancel 😂

lol seriously. Luckily I have some free movie passes that I haven't used because I was waiting for MoviePass to collapse so now I guess I can use them over the next few weeks for the few remaining films I want to see this summer.

• Like 2