Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Least surprising thing ever, simply took a few months longer than originally thought.  

I would say that more theaters are going to offer a subscription, but $9.99 or lower is a joke.  Anything worthwhile will be at least $20 and up with total fees included.  

That is more than fair.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Least surprising thing ever, simply took a few months longer than originally thought.  

I would say that more theaters are going to offer a subscription, but $9.99 or lower is a joke.  Anything worthwhile will be at least $20 and up with total fees included.  

That is more than fair.  

Yeah, I’m shocked it lasted as long as it did. 

$20-25 or whatever seems more doable for theaters and it is still a fair price for customers. 

I'm gonna try and use my pass to see MI or TTG:TTM tomorrow (theatre-hopping if I need to); that's if the ticketing system is still up. I honestly don't expect MP to last past Monday at this rate, but at least there's a couple of weeks before they charge me again so I have time to see what happens before I cancel. As shitty as their customer service has been, I can't say I haven't got my money's worth with seeing at least one movie a week since I joined. Wish I could switch to AMC's plan, but they only have one theatre near me and it's almost an hour drive.

• Like 1

I knew it wouldn’t last but it was cool while it did. I’ve had it for about 10 months now at $30/month(me, my wife and son) and it’s more than paid for itself. 

I do do have a Stubs Premiere membership so I guess I can upgrade to A-list and make use of those $5 Tuesdays lol. My local AMC only has Prime and 3D. Don’t care about 3D and I don’t need to see a movie in the Prime theater that badly. We’re good watching movies in regular old 2D digital haha. They upgraded the theater last year with reclined seats and implemented reserved seating, which we love! 

2 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

I'm gonna try and use my pass to see MI or TTG:TTM tomorrow (theatre-hopping if I need to); that's if the ticketing system is still up.

It supposedly still works for buying MI tickets for Landmark theaters.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That Game of Thrones/Netflix analogy sure is something.

Moviepass’s PR has been their biggest issue for sure (apart from the business model). A clear explanation before changes are made and making sure the users are informed in a timely manner would have helped a lot

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Moviepass’s PR has been their biggest issue for sure (apart from the business model). A clear explanation before changes are made and making sure the users are informed in a timely manner would have helped a lot

Yeah, arbitrarily changing the T&C every month with little to no warning, isn't the best of business practices.

Like, if they were just upfront about shit and/or a bit more transparent about things, it might be better (emphasis on might).  As it is though, "Not a Good Look" comes to mind.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mean, the explanation is that they're hemorrhaging cash and need to slow the bleeding. Not sure that would soothe their customers' concerns

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I mean, the explanation is that they're hemorrhaging cash and need to slow the bleeding. Not sure that would soothe their customers' concerns

Not in that sense specifically. For example when they introduced surge prices, most people accepted why that was the case, but the pricing being 6-8$ was crazy and then surges were from Thursday to Sunday for movies up to 3 weeks or more old..Instead, if they put out a clear message saying that a movie in opening week will be surged for 2-3$, that's an acceptable price point and would clarify the situation for users instead of them being blindsided.

• Like 1

What they should have done is not kept the $10 price point. They should have made it a limited time offer and available to folks who signed up for 12 months then after the 12 months, folks would pay the regular monthly fee which would be like $20 let’s say. 

They should have also included a sign up fee or something. 

Better yet they could have also had a variety of plans. Have folks to sign up for that $10 fee for a limited time (to get the subscribers they were trying to get) and then after that roll out a variety of plans. Have them range from $10 (if they wanna keep that price point) to $30-$35 or something. 

I dont know. Business isn’t exactly my thing but even my dumb ass self knows that this $10 a month thing was never ever going to work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova said:

What they should have done is not kept the $10 price point. They should have made it a limited time offer and available to folks who signed up for 12 months then after the 12 months, folks would pay the regular monthly fee which would be like $20 let’s say. 

They should have also included a sign up fee or something. 

Better yet they could have also had a variety of plans. Have folks to sign up for that $10 fee for a limited time (to get the subscribers they were trying to get) and then after that roll out a variety of plans. Have them range from $10 (if they wanna keep that price point) to $30-$35 or something. 

I dont know. Business isn’t exactly my thing but even my dumb ass self knows that this $10 a month thing was never ever going to work. 

They had a $50/month price point plan...really, no one wanted that...it was an abject failure...

The drop to $10/month took them from 10K subscribers to 3 million subscribers in 10 months...they showed the industry that price point was a spectacular success for getting subscribers and that $50/month was a spectacular failure for same...so AMC should probably thank them for all the market research into "what the perfect price point and plan is"...no way AMC would have offered 12 movies for $20/month without seeing how the low price point moved consumers...and unlike Moviepass, AMC has protected itself by paying studios a lower per movie price point (only giving $8 ticket value/movie, right), probably knowing how many movies typical Moviepass viewers watched/month (which, for the standard, I think was 2-3 once the "subscription newness" wore off)...

Now that AMC has entered the game, we'll see if Cinemark revises their plan or if Regal EVER comes in, especially if Moviepass dies completely (b/c if they do, I don't think Regal can stay on the sidelines anymore...consumers have gotten so trained, and I don't think Sinemia will be enough to drive them business)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

LMAO

so moviepass just isnt showing movies/showtimes in app for A lot of movies at a variety of theaters. The amount on display in app is limited if you check it doesn't reflect what the movie theaters have. Also, $6 was supposed to be their max for surge pricing how are they charging $8? They got rid of the unlisted showtime tab, too - which means this is all on purpose. What a joke.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1