Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

56 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Who will take a very expensive movie pass from the theater chain too ?

MoviePass impact will be to put a giant pressure on those price if theater chain want to put it away (could be cheaper to buy them out)

That's the important point...I think they already are starting to put that pressure on (late year Atom, Fandango, and T Mobile deals were enormous plus you have the Cinemark plan at a "lower than regular ticket price" price point), and it's only gonna get worse this year...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Whether MoviePass lasts or not, I ain't got no crystal ball as they say.

If they increased their prices (which I view as inventible), a question is will they do an universal price jump ($9.99 to $14.99 or $19.99) a month; or will they limit usage at $9.99 (i.e. you can only see a movie once, or you can only use your pass one a week), but for $14.99, you have unlimited assess?

The other factor -- which we probably will never have hard data on -- is the movie-going habits of MoviePass's user base.  How many are causal moviegoers, who see this as a deal, and use the pass once a month?  Are there people who view it like a Gym Membership -- go all the time at first than bail a couple months in?  How many (like myself) are just milking it?  I've seen 14 movies since I got in the mid-September.  I'm also on the Black Friday $89.95 annual special.  So I'm $74 ahead, and I have "free" movies all 2018.

I see a price change hurting "Causals" and "Gym Memberships" more than folks like myself, who even if it's $19.99 a month, it's still well worth it.

With 2018 so stacked (March, June, November, and December in particular), I'm really curious to see what films MoviePass will help the most.  If the data shows that Kids Movies aren't getting a boost, MoviePass might not help The Incredibles 2 v Jurassic World in their quest for families.  Yet!  It could help Deadpool 2 and Solo from not cannibalizing each other for the same male demo.  And will it help so-so films get more eyeballs?  More than once I went and saw something I never would've paid for, but I was bored so why not!  

Cross-post from the I, Tonya thread

http://www.slashfilm.com/moviepass-i-tonya/

In December, MoviePass announced that they’d signed a marketing and distribution deal with a mysterious “independent movie distribution company,” and now we have a pretty good idea of what that company is: Neon, the distribution company co-founded by Alamo Drafthouse head Tim League. Neon was formed in the early days of 2017, and quickly became a major player in the distribution game; over the last year alone, they released movies like Ingrid Goes West, Beach Rats, The Bad Batch, Borg vs. McEnroe, Colossal, and I, Tonya – the latter of which is the subject of one of MoviePass’s first major advertising pushes.

In a new e-mail sent to members, MoviePass praises Craig Gillespie’s Tonya Harding biopic/crime film by citing positive reviews from professional film critics and a random MoviePass member. After explaining the film’s premise and who stars in it, the e-mail goes on to offer ten 12-month MoviePasses as a prize for its membership. Here’s the relevant info:

We are giving one person ten annual MoviePass subscriptions, to be given to anyone of your choosing. See I, TONYA in theaters by Friday night and automatically enter to win ten 12-month MoviePasses. No catch here. See the film and we’ll automatically enter you. Winner will be notified by January 15th.

Is winning ten more MoviePass subscriptions a tantalizing prospect for people who already have a subscription themselves? Will winners be able to cancel their own paid subscription and replace it with one of the free subscriptions they just won, or will they be penalized with a nine month suspension if they cancel their original paid plan? Oh well – at least they’re not asking people to jump through hoops to enter; if you see I, Tonya in theaters, you’re automatically in contention for the prizes. But considering how MoviePass has actually shown a proven track record when it comes to improving a film’s performance at the box office, it seems like Neon may get their money’s worth out of this deal.

I think MoviePass is too big at this point to end up failing completely. There've been so many thinkpieces written about their business model at this point that I'm sure they have a Plan B in mind if they need to find a way to profit. 

Edited by tribefan695

Said this now in two separate threads, so I might as well say it in the right one. Gonna be real curious to see if MoviePass helps the filmageddon forming in May with Infinity War, Deadpool 2, and Solo: A Star Wars Story all coming out in May.

One of the things I think isn't thought of as much when it comes to competition is household entertainment budget. For instance we saw a noticeable dip in Nov and early Dec 2015 when it first became apparent that TFA was going to be a monster.  It was kinda poo-pooed at the time that folks were 'saving up' to go see TFA. But at the same time it makes a fair amount of sense that folks who might see a film every other month or three months might wait for a huge event movie if it is on the horizon.

With MoviePass, however, that might not matter as much. It's been speculated that Insidious 4 has benefited from MoviePass.  I'm wondering if some of Jumanji's run also is benefitting.

Either way, there might be more room for all three of these movies to co-exist if there are enough users of MoviePass out there to make up for the difference.

Of course, given there's no real way to falsify the theory, might not ever be able to know what would happen if MoviePass wasn't around.  We don't even know if they're going to stay at this price point or not, as noted by other folks in this thread.

But I for one will be damn interested to see if it helps at all.  Especially on Memorial Day Weekend, where families are out an about anyways.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Again, the U.K. has had our equivalent of the movie pass for more than 10 years and 2017 was one of the biggest years ever. 

The impact, of any, is definitely not negative. 

If you are talking about Cineworld unlimited, it only covers 2D and it has gone up in price a lot over that time.

Currently £17.80 and over £20 for London west end.

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Said this now in two separate threads, so I might as well say it in the right one. Gonna be real curious to see if MoviePass helps the filmageddon forming in May with Infinity War, Deadpool 2, and Solo: A Star Wars Story all coming out in May.

One of the things I think isn't thought of as much when it comes to competition is household entertainment budget. For instance we saw a noticeable dip in Nov and early Dec 2015 when it first became apparent that TFA was going to be a monster.  It was kinda poo-pooed at the time that folks were 'saving up' to go see TFA. But at the same time it makes a fair amount of sense that folks who might see a film every other month or three months might wait for a huge event movie if it is on the horizon.

With MoviePass, however, that might not matter as much. It's been speculated that Insidious 4 has benefited from MoviePass.  I'm wondering if some of Jumanji's run also is benefitting.

Either way, there might be more room for all three of these movies to co-exist if there are enough users of MoviePass out there to make up for the difference.

Of course, given there's no real way to falsify the theory, might not ever be able to know what would happen if MoviePass wasn't around.  We don't even know if they're going to stay at this price point or not, as noted by other folks in this thread.

But I for one will be damn interested to see if it helps at all.  Especially on Memorial Day Weekend, where families are out an about anyways.

I dont understand this dumb logic that people need to save for 2 months to afford a movie ticket.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Again, the U.K. has had our equivalent of the movie pass for more than 10 years and 2017 was one of the biggest years ever. 

The impact, of any, is definitely not negative. 

Uh you do realise unlimited cards are over twice the price right? Of course it has a more positive impact.

10 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

Because going to the theater can be expensive, and not everyone can afford to spend that kind of money on a whim.

A whole 10 dollars?

I think laziness is a far bigger reason why people avoid the cinema than money. Sometimes id rather filns just go straight to kodi

Edited by Mrwick
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kramerica1975 said:

Do I get it right that you buy a MoviePass for $8 a month and with this, you can watch as many films as you want for free?

That's insane!

Uk has been doing this for yeeeears son, not only that but after a year of membership you get a cool black cineworld card which gets you 25% discount on all food and every month or so they have secret screenings of films before they are released (which is a ball ache as you have to hope its not something shit) however they issue a free pack of minstrels during these events so you could always just go for the snacks. 

I cancelled mine as i can never be bothered to go cinema now, but for 18 quid or so you just need to go twice a month to make it worth it

Edited by Mrwick

13 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

Yeah. Totally. That's what it costs a family with 2/3 kids to go see a movie.

Id say the reason cinemas were quieter before TFA was due to saving for christmas rather than saving to see Star wars, and the fact there wasn't really any significant films released prior

1 hour ago, Mrwick said:

Id say the reason cinemas were quieter before TFA was due to saving for christmas rather than saving to see Star wars, and the fact there wasn't really any significant films released prior

Maybe you should have said that instead of calling it dumb logic, because you forgot more than single people go see movies, and that a family of 5 can spend upwards to a 100 dollars to go see a movie. Some people actually have to save up for things like that.

My best friend, a police officer who makes good money by working insane overtime too, has MoviePass and he’s the ultimate cheapskate. He has seen TLJ 3 times and he’s not a SW fan, but he just figured he wanted his money’s worth. He would never see a movie twice in theaters otherwise hahaha no way! He will order a Diet Coke instead of a beer even though he loves beer because “Diet Coke has free refills.” He’s just that kind of dude. I love him but he’s the cheapest guy I know. MoviePass is like his heaven. He saw Jumanji and Greatest Showman with it too and he would have skipped both, for sure.

• Like 1