Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

5 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

HMNY filings are extremely deceptive.  They cherry pick data/time intervals to show whatever they want*.  Their base has a high % of very heavy users...and there is no chance they are only watching 1.5 movies per month.  Defies reason. 

It is true that it make little sense:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/moviepass-poll-subscribers-see-far-more-films-go-alone-midweek-1104829

But it seem to be a lot of parents that never goes to the movies on the weekdays and not often, they can still save a lot of money:

MoviePass1%20(3).jpg

The fact that they do not want to say the actual number and present them that way....

Looking at the methodology, I could see what was misleading, an online pool like that, the non moviepass pooled people were maybe far from the average moviegoers (that see around 4 movie a year), so MP user seeing just 6 more movie in 6 month is maybe watching 16 of them and not just 6.

The fact they just didn't present the actual data and spinned result in those ways show how BS that was anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The funny thing is  you and some others here have been claiming it's "over for real!" for MP every month since March or so. So yeah, we'll see lol. 

Never said a set date before. And what's funny?...the stock is 30 cents, man.  Even the most basic awareness of equity should tell you it's over.  The money has been taken from investors every few months for life support. At a sub $1 stock it objectively IS over.  I'm betting the fumes last 6 weeks tops.  

Never said a set date before. And what's funny?...the stock is 30 cents, man.  Even the most basic awareness of equity should tell you it's over.  The money has been taken from investors every few months for life support. At a sub $1 stock it objectively IS over.  I'm betting the fumes last 6 weeks tops.  

Put another way - the people paying for your movie tickets are now broke.  Paid for the tickets and got nothing back

Put another way - the people paying for your movie tickets are now broke.  Paid for the tickets and got nothing back

yes, and this is why internal run subscription methods do work, because the cinema is not paying anything for the ticket, just taking in less $ per ticket, big difference.

I think this industry is missing the point. People pay for Netflix but they still go to IMAX screens to see the latest Marvel or Star Wars film. Moviepass should give you unlimited access to the regular screens (it doesn't need to include the premium tickets).

That way people would be going out more to the theaters to see movies they are not that confident or excited about and would otherwise wait for it to be available on Netflix. And they would still pay extra to see their Disney movies in IMAX.

A monthly subscription with so many restrictions like Moviepass and AMC's will never be as popular as Netflix, or as revolutionary as Spotify which is killing piracy and saving the music industry.

Just now, Avatree said:

yes, and this is why internal run subscription methods do work, because the cinema is not paying anything for the ticket, just taking in less $ per ticket, big difference.

? They will send to the movie distributor the same amount that if a regular customer buy the ticket no ? Or get some deal with studios to pay a little less, but they will still have to pay I would imagine. 

This might work for us.

We see every movie at an AMC Dolby or IMAX theater.  We are already a member of Stubs.

If I can have just 1 $20/month account that I can by 3 tickets to the SAME movie every week it works for us.

If I have to pay the $20/month for every family member then we don't see enough movies to make it worthwhile

• Like 2

Moviepass wasn't a scam, it was meant to be purchased by a theater chain or production company, but that didn't happen. The only reason they haven't shut down is they're hoping to get acquired, but bankruptcy is around the corner otherwise.

The larger picture is that until the movie producers or at least theater chains get on board, a subscription plan for unlimited movies cannot work. It will always have a death spiral, because of adverse selection. Whatever price you set, the only people who will purchase are the people getting free money. Charge $100/mo and the only people who buy MoviePass are people spending $150/mo on movies, etc.

1 hour ago, AndyLL said:

This might work for us.

We see every movie at an AMC Dolby or IMAX theater.  We are already a member of Stubs.

If I can have just 1 $20/month account that I can by 3 tickets to the SAME movie every week it works for us.

If I have to pay the $20/month for every family member then we don't see enough movies to make it worthwhile

It seems you can't have 3 tickets to the same showing, so you (like I) still are waiting for someone to get the family plan, right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Moviepass wasn't a scam, it was meant to be purchased by a theater chain or production company, but that didn't happen. The only reason they haven't shut down is they're hoping to get acquired, but bankruptcy is around the corner otherwise.

The larger picture is that until the movie producers or at least theater chains get on board, a subscription plan for unlimited movies cannot work. It will always have a death spiral, because of adverse selection. Whatever price you set, the only people who will purchase are the people getting free money. Charge $100/mo and the only people who buy MoviePass are people spending $150/mo on movies, etc.

That's true in the beginning for every plan, but then people get complacent and keep services that they stop using as much.  I mean, in the beginning, my family watched every Netflix series every day for hours on end.  Now, we watch maybe 1-2 series and 1-2 movies a month total (so about 20-25 hours of streaming for 30 days across 6 household members)...if someone ever did a family movie theater ticket plan, I'm sure we'd hit the same complacency and wouldn't cancel til we practically weren't using it as all, and we'd become the folks probably overpaying but still being happy (which is where I'm at with Netflix)...  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It seems you can't have 3 tickets to the same showing, so you (like I) still are waiting for someone to get the family plan, right.

Yep... just read the FAQ.

I see their issue... if you could buy 3 for one movie people would just bring their friends once a week.

On the other hand... 3 tickets per week is 3 tickets per week... shouldn't matter if that is 1 for 3 shows or  3 for one show.

Obviously they calculate that they will make more in concessions if 1 person goes to 3 different showing vs 3 people going to 1 showing.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

Yep... just read the FAQ.

I see their issue... if you could buy 3 for one movie people would just bring their friends once a week.

On the other hand... 3 tickets per week is 3 tickets per week... shouldn't matter if that is 1 for 3 shows or  3 for one show.

Obviously they calculate that they will make more in concessions if 1 person goes to 3 different showing vs 3 people going to 1 showing.   

What gets me is they could require the extra tickets to be used by family members - I'd be happy to even bring ID every time for my kids, if someone would just let them into these plans:)...

I would bet we'd have seen way more mediocre movies this year if they had these plans...but for now, if they aren't bugging me to see something, I'm not suggesting b/c I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so their stuff gets there eventually...I'm waiting to see if I2 or TTG is the 1st movie of the year they go to (yeah, it's also been a bad movie year for kids)... 

• Like 1

http://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-is-going-to-launch-surge-pricing-by-july-imax-and-3d-later-2018-6

"At certain times for certain films — on opening weekend — there could be an additional charge for films," Lowe told Business Insider.

So don't be surprised if you have to pay a few dollars more for that next Marvel movie. Lowe said this decision was intended to let MoviePass' theater partners attract more traffic for big blockbusters in the middle of the week and on weekends after the movie's opening weekend. It was also designed to "make sure that we can continue to offer a valuable service and support the whole enterprise," Lowe added.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

17 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

If this happens, I will definitely be switching to AMC's. They're my primary theaters anyways and it will no longer be much of a difference to pay an extra $10 a month if MP is surcharging new movies. Might actually be less expensive. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If this happens, I will definitely be switching to AMC's. They're my primary theaters anyways and it will no longer be much of a difference to pay an extra $10 a month if MP is surcharging new movies. Might actually be less expensive. 

it happens next month, unless you have annual subscription

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Then why the hell has it been working, with truly unlimited movies (only restrictions are max 3 advance bookings and a per ticket surcharge for IMAX) in the UK for nearly over a decade? The fact that AMC still restricted theirs to 3 a week is dumb

Edited by antovolk

5 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Then why the hell has it been working, with truly unlimited movies (only restrictions are max 3 advance bookings and a per ticket surcharge for IMAX) in the UK for nearly over a decade? The fact that AMC still restricted theirs to 3 a week is dumb

I would imagine theater chain are on board in the UK ?