Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Love my MoviePass. Because of it I have no plans of ever paying for myself a full price 2D standard movie ticket again. I crossed the Rubicon those days are over.  I respectfully understand the negative impact that sentiment, if widely shared, has on the ‘value’ of a ticket. 

• Like 1

How long does it take to hear back from someone via the in chat app? I just tried to check into a movie and my card didn’t work.

Im thinking about just canceling my membership and calling my credit card company to dispute the charge they’re gonna put on my card for this month. My membership starts on the 9th of the month and I haven’t watched anything so far during this billing period. 

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

How long does it take to hear back from someone via the in chat app? I just tried to check into a movie and my card didn’t work.

Im thinking about just canceling my membership and calling my credit card company to dispute the charge they’re gonna put on my card for this month. My membership starts on the 9th of the month and I haven’t watched anything so far during this billing period. 

i would call +1-877-646-2892

• Thanks 1

I'll probably switch to the AMC once MP goes under (whenever that is), because I go to plenty of non-AMC theaters. I do want to be able to go to Dolby Cinema though anytime I want to, it's as good (maybe better) than true IMAX.

Been using my MP a ton this past few weeks now that I'm unemployed, it's a godsend for someone like me right now.

Edited by Jayhawk

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

i would call +1-877-646-2892

Thanks for the number. Someone, I’m guessing a computer, responding back saying that it’s the payment processor that’s not working which is out of their control and to just check in later. 

But im thinking about calling that number cause I don’t trust what they’re saying in the chat :ph34r:

I'm considering signing up for A-List and ditching MoviePass but the closest AMC to me is 20 minutes away and not nearly as nice as the theater I frequent (a Cinemark). At the rate MoviePass is dropping though I might end up switching by the end of the year (when I'll definitely want one of these to be up to date on all the awards movies again).

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I signed up for A-List on Wednesday and have already used it at The First Purge and Sicario. Even though tickets are cheap where I live, I still go often enough to make it worth the subscription.

good choice. do your AMC's have dolby?

fyi, for those with better options on reddit mp customers posted saying they were hit for surcharges of peak prices for Jurassic World on Wednesday night for showings with 10 people in theater

so peak pricing is not just a weekend thing or ow thing, its whenever they want thing

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

fyi, for those with better options on reddit mp customers posted saying they were hit for surcharges of peak prices for Jurassic World on Wednesday night for showings with 10 people in theater

so peak pricing is not just a weekend thing or ow thing, its whenever they want thing

LMAO so its just popular/blockbuster movies 

13 hours ago, Nova said:

I think im going to cancel my moviepass membership. It was fun while it lasted but no longer worth it with the random surcharges. I understand limiting people to viewing a movie once, but charging people to use your service that you said would be $10 a month to watch movies is egregious. I looked on the moviepass reddit page and people are getting the surcharges for indie flicks, too.(sorry to bother you) It makes the service somewhat useless since I have a list now. After 3 surcharges you will be paying a higher monthly fee than a list or close to that price. 

Edited by YLF

Yea as I said, I am cancelling my membership. This will be my last month with the service. I am going back to school in 2 weeks so it'll be pointless to keep it but even if I wasn't, I would probably get rid of it because of the clusterfuck that it looks like it's becoming. 

It was good while I had it. I watched quite a few films this summer that I probably wouldn't have without it and I am glad that AMC is incorporating their own subscription service so it seems like while MoviePass is gonna go under, at least something good has come out of it. Hopefully other theater chains follow suite. 

• Like 1