Eric Atreides

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

MoviePass’ new subscription service won’t offer unlimited movies anymore, but will instead introduce a tiered subscription system, Spikes said. Similarly to fitness startup Classpass, MoviePass customers will buy credits that they can then redeem for movie showings. 

But Spikes also showed off another way that customers will be able to earn credits: watching ads and having their eyeballs tracked. 

Using a feature called “pre-show,” MoviePass customers will get credits in exchange for watching ads on their phones. To make sure they’re actually watching, the app will track users’ eyeballs, Spikes said.  

“What it does is it basically creates a transaction between you and the brand,” the CEO said, wearing a black turtleneck and pacing the stage in the style of Steve Jobs. 

“Your phone, your device uses your own facial detection,” Spikes added. “It doesn’t go to the cloud, nobody goes through anything other than you and your information in yours. And you opt in to do it on your own.”

https://nypost.com/2022/02/10/moviepass-is-back-and-its-going-to-track-your-eyeballs/

Business Insider

MoviePass will relaunch in beta in Dallas, Kansas City, and Chicago — with 5 movies max to see per month

Jason Guerrasio

moviepass logo

MoviePass.MoviePass
  • MoviePass had over 775,000 sign-ups to its waitlist, according to the company.

• The beta will launch in Chicago, Kansas City, and Dallas.

• For $10 per month you can see 1 to 3 movies; for $20, 2 to 4 movies; for $30, 3 to 5 movies.

MoviePass has chosen Dallas, Kansas City, and Chicago as the three cities to relaunch its movie-ticket-subscription service in beta form beginning on Labor Day, Insider can exclusively report.

Beginning on September 5, people who signed up to the waitlist in those cities will be sent an email invite that includes an access code that will allow them to create a MoviePass account and choose a plan for the service. More cities will be added in the coming months.

The service will have three tiers of pricing — $10, $20, and $30 a month — with a select number of movies to see per month.

The amount of movies you can see on all the plans will vary based on the showing times (and whether it is an opening weekend), but MoviePass did not detail the exact breakdown of days and times.

• The "Basic" plan, for $10 per month, allows 1 to 3 movies per month (based on peak or off-peak times).

• The "Standard" plan, for $20, allows 2 to 4 movies per month.

• The "Pro" plan, for $30, allows 3 to 5 movies per month.

Currently, all plans do not include IMAX showings or other large format offerings, only standard screenings. However, MoviePass CEO and cofounder Stacy Spikes told Insider plans are in the works to include that option in the future.

Insider was sent a graphic by MoviePass showing the price breakdown:

MoviePass graphic price plan

MoviePass

MoviePass launched a waitlist to its beta relaunch last Thursday and over a five-day period there were over 775,000 sign-ups, according to the company.

That included 30,000 sign-ups in the first five minutes of the waitlist launching, which resulted in the site's server crashing for nearly three hours. It had over 460,000 signups in the first 24 hours, according to Spikes.

MoviePass skyrocketed in popularity in 2018 after it lowered its monthly subscription price to $10, amassing 3 million subscribers. But it wasn't sustainable. After burning through hundreds of millions of dollars, MoviePass shut down in September 2019 and its parent company, Helios and Matheson, filed for bankruptcy in 2020.

In his first interview about MoviePass since the company shut down in 2019, former CEO Mitch Lowe told Insider this week that he "didn't have the energy" for what was needed to keep it afloat.

"When I was offered to be CEO of MoviePass, I felt my whole career had led up to this moment," he said. "I'm totally prepared to make this work. I later learned I was not up to the game."

Read the original article on Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-relaunching-details-how-many-movies-per-month-2022-9

This is...

This is actually non-insane.  Or at least not as insane as "see as many movies as you like, meaning we lose money nearly every time you see a movie".

Not entirely sure how it stacks up against other current theater plans tho.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

lol what why is the Basic plan the best deal? LMAO

I presume the "more than 1 movie a month" bit on the $10/1-3 movies plan is heavily restricted in regards to what movies one can see and when while the $20/$30 plans aren't as restricted, as the specifics on what/when weren't provided in detail.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/moviepass-relaunching-details-how-many-movies-per-month-2022-9

This is...

This is actually non-insane.  Or at least not as insane as "see as many movies as you like, meaning we lose money nearly every time you see a movie".

Not entirely sure how it stacks up against other current theater plans tho.

Agree it’s not quite the failed from the start program as before, but for chain-specific subscription plans, they get the direct benefit of 1) brand building and 2) opportunity for concession revenue during each visit. An outside sub program gets neither, so they’ll have to find other means (data tracking & sales?) as a way to recoup direct losses on tickets vs subs (which is likely already being done with the MTC plans anyway)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Agree it’s not quite the failed from the start program as before, but for chain-specific subscription plans, they get the direct benefit of 1) brand building and 2) opportunity for concession revenue during each visit. An outside sub program gets neither, so they’ll have to find other means (data tracking & sales?) as a way to recoup direct losses on tickets vs subs (which is likely already being done with the MTC plans anyway)

That gets to the problem I have here. With an outside sub program,  presuming there is no active form of buy-in from theaters [and I tend to doubt there will be due to not wanting to undercut their own plans] how does MoviePass not lose money on ticket sales?

For the consumer end of it, it might make sense if one goes to different chains in an area. Or even for the smaller chains that might not have any program at all.  Don't need to have both a Regal and Cinemark plan, say, in markets that have multiple chains. Don't have to worry about whether or not Alamo Drafthouse or Marcus Theaters has a plan if one is traveling and can just use MP. 

Again, presuming the theaters even accept it, which is still a big presumption in my book.

But unless they're counting on at least some folks not using all the movies they're allowed to*, it does appear to be "slowly hemorrhaging" as opposed to "bleeding profusely".

* And I presume they are.

If they were able to get some sort of theater buy-in, that would be one thing.  But I tend to think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Otherwise, we're back to "sell data to theaters/studios/advertisers" as a business model, which IIRC was the way MoviePass was supposed to survive the last time.  Now, maybe they can recoup those costs if the money difference isn't as stark as it was in MoviePass's heyday.  Big big "if", however.

• Like 1

The other major problem I have is... the reason why MoviePass exploded last time WAS because it was "too good to be true".

Folks were getting a wildly out of proportion deal.  And if they are expecting anything close to that?

Well...

This isn't close.  And it'll be interesting to see how it is received.