CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I was about to throw a party over that 65-69 range in the title, but those Deadline numbers immediately set my expectations down again. Bastards. Losers. GAH. Whatever, it's still an amazing Saturday number and an amazing OW number period.

I'll wait for @Rth Ragnarok before I'll totally buy the Deadline numbers.

Maybe a little bait...

b17dbb1d2659c133135acfb857528a20--kylo-r

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone explain something to me, please? It's always confused me.

HBP did $302m in 2009. DH1 did $296m in 2010. Yet when you adjust it to 2017 prices, HBP is at $363m and DH1 at $330m. How is the gap so massive?

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain something to me, please? It's always confused me.

HBP did $302m in 2009. DH1 did $296m in 2010. Yet when you adjust it to 2017 prices, HBP is at $363m and DH1 at $330m. How is the gap so massive?

The average price BOM uses for 2009 was $7.50, while it was at $7.89 in 2010. That would increase the gap quite a bit when adjusted to today's average. Not sure if they always take quarterly price-updates into account, but if yes, HP6 came out in summer, while HP7 came in November, putting an even bigger difference between the two.

Beyond that, BOM is flat out bad when it comes to adjusting numbers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The average price BOM uses for 2009 was $7.50, while it was at $7.89 in 2010. That would increase the gap quite a bit when adjusted to today's average. Not sure if they always take quarterly price-updates into account, but if yes, HP6 came out in summer, while HP7 came in November, putting an even bigger difference between the two.

Beyond that, BOM is flat out bad when it comes to adjusting numbers.

The way they estimate the tickets sold is also flawed. For example, they estimate Avatars DOM tickets sold to be at 97M. Thats bullshit (no pun for this weekend intended) because it completely ignores the abnormaly large 3D share which made the ticket prices a lot higher than the average movie of 2009.

I still dont know why America doesnt just count the amount of tickets sold. In Germany and other countrys that do that, it really helps to put the numbers into perspective to movies of the past.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

The way they estimate the tickets sold is also flawed. For example, they estimate Avatars DOM tickets sold to be at 97M. Thats bullshit (no pun for this weekend intended) because it completely ignores the abnormaly large 3D share which made the ticket prices a lot higher than the average movie of 2009.

I still dont know why America doesnt just count the amount of tickets sold. In Germany and other countrys that do that, it really helps to put the numbers into perspective to movies of the past.

It’s pretty clear why we don’t do that - you don’t set new records often if you count admissions. Records lead to headlines which helps marketing efforts. Counting tickets is great for us box office nerds but even then we could and have gone round and round with that one. Like am I supposed to be more impressed with a movie that sold, say, 80 million tickets when movie tickets were cheap or 75 million when they were much more expensive relatively speaking? It’s not just raw tickets sold, it’s simply more impressive when people care enough to spend $20 per IMAX ticket. Everything is fairly relative anyway, like a movie that sold more tickets pre-home video isn’t automatically more impressive. It had a much easier path as that was the only way to see the movie. A fairer comparison would be then to add rentals and home video sales to ticket sales and compare that lol. I’m just playing devils advocate but the point is there are so many factors that between close movies you can make arguments going either way. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Very true. In a later BOM article, it was said that Avatar sold 75 million admissions, similar to Avengers or TDK estimated figures.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, peludo said:

Very true. In a later BOM article, it was said that Avatar sold 75 million admissions, similar to Avengers or TDK estimated figures.

They also say

Avatar appears to have had greater attendance than any movie since Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace in 1999

Edited by Elessar