CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I would love $223–224M, I would have been within 2% or so with my $227M guess. Could have been better if I didn’t get weird and just went with $225M but I wanted to be “different” - why not $2M under $225M not over lol damnit.

I think I put 223m in the weekly questions. :ph34r: 

edit: oh shit, and I put 220m in the preseason predictions. :rofl: 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

There is no way this movie is dropping 19.9%. Disney playing it safe. I'd say this movie goes for $56 million Sunday.

Disney may do some fudging to get it to $225 million even, but I think it falls short a few 100 k's.

Just my take.

So you think it drops similar to TFA, even though that film was 3 days closer to the holiday period. I think a lot more people are still working on Monday this year than 2015, which hurts the Sunday night shows. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So you think it drops similar to TFA, even though that film was 3 days closer to the holiday period. I think a lot more people are still working on Monday this year than 2015, which hurts the Sunday night shows. 

I think 2006 was the same calendar config. 30% sun drops. don't know other years that had a similar config.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-12-17&p=.htm

One thing i just looked up:

These are the adjusted first runs of Empire and Return of the Jedi adjusted (per BOM):

4 Return of the Jedi Fox $723,181,600 $252,583,617 5/25/83
5 The Empire Strikes Back Fox $704,239,800 $209,398,025 5/21/80

And TPM also:

3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $757,494,400 $431,088,295 5/19/99

The Last Jedi - following SW tradition at beeing the lowest-grossing of the sequel trilogy - has more than just a good chance to top these numbers.

I think we havent realised just how incredibly massive this new trilogy is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Because of the grosses of the first two movies, it will be the highest grossing trilogy of all time the second Episode IX is released to the public thus satisfying the condition of it actually being a trilogy lol. It seems there aren’t many true trilogies anymore though, so many you’d have to cheat and just count the first 3 movies (Hunger Games, Avengers) and pretend it’s a trilogy when it isn’t.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

One thing i just looked up:

These are the adjusted first runs of Empire and Return of the Jedi adjusted (per BOM):

4 Return of the Jedi Fox $723,181,600 $252,583,617 5/25/83
5 The Empire Strikes Back Fox $704,239,800 $209,398,025 5/21/80

And TPM also:

3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $757,494,400 $431,088,295 5/19/99

The Last Jedi - following SW tradition at beeing the lowest-grossing of the sequel trilogy - has more than just a good chance to top these numbers.

I think we havent realised just how incredibly massive this new trilogy is.

Episode IX will decrease because of spinoffs and such

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think 2006 was the same calendar config. 30% sun drops. don't know other years that had a similar config.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-12-17&p=.htm

I'm just looking at Rogue One, which came out only a day later than Last Jedi. I think Disney's projection looks pretty reasonable and I'm curious to see how the actual turns out. 

Amazing performance.  It literally barely dropped off from TFA by only about 25-27 Million.   Considering TFA burned off 10 Years of demand after "Sith" and "Rogue One" came out last year.  That makes these numbers more impressive.  It proves that Star Wars has the most consistent fanbase in Film History.   And it's a 4-Quadrant Blockbuster that hits damn near every demo.   700 is the floor because Star Wars averages over a 3x Multiplier which it gets in it's sleep.  

• Like 1

Fantastic opening for TLJ!! Just an 11% drop from TFA? Awesome. Going to see it again today. 

Good OS opening as well. Should get to about 800 I think and 1.5b+ WW. 

Glad to see Coco have a nice drop. Saw it last night and it’s deserving of all the box office it gets. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. If the Han Solo movie stays were it is, it will be 1 1/2 years between it and IX, while it follows right on the footsteps of TLJ. This means there is a whole lot of room where no big Star Wars news will come out, giving it more air than Rogue One, TLJ or Solo will have.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's like going to follow the same trilogy pattern.  First is the biggest, second is the "lowest" grossing.  Third is somewhere in the middle

Just now, George Parr said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. If the Han Solo movie stays were it is, it will be 1 1/2 years between it and IX, while it follows right on the footsteps of TLJ. This means there is a whole lot of room where no big Star Wars news will come out, giving it more air than Rogue One, TLJ or Solo will have.

Good point, I didn’t really think about that. As a spoiled fan now days 18-19 months does sound like forever ha ha. This is assuming Solo doesn’t move.