CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

This is a really slow thread.

I mean, TLJ is doing what the majority predicted. A small decline from TFA OD/OW. Now, if it would crash and burn to an under 80M OD or over TFA OD the thread would be much faster i think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Not opining as to whether true or false, but this divulgence between critic score and audience score could further the conspiracy theory held by some that Disney has some sort of hold ($$) on critics. Are there examples of more stark contrasts between the two scores? 

There are lots of examples of this type of divergence.  People were posting them early in the thread.  There is no freaking conspiracy theory.  My god people are fucking dumb.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Not opining as to whether true or false, but this divulgence between critic score and audience score could further the conspiracy theory held by some that Disney has some sort of hold ($$) on critics. Are there examples of more stark contrasts between the two scores? 

The only other Disney releases since 2013 to have a 70%+ tomatometer among critics and a rotten score with audiences are The BFG (75% vs 57%) and Into the Woods (71% vs 49%) - though it is worth mentioning that The Incredibles has a 22% difference between its audience score and the critics tomatometer, though that was in 2004.

That makes 3 films out of the 34 films distributed by Disney since 2013 that have this distinction. So I don't think the conspiracy theory holds much weight at all. Having seen TLJ, I think it's more likely to be a divisive one among fans. Also, TLJ still has an 8.1 on IMDb.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I do also sense that critics will love this movie more than fans. 

Having not yet seen The Last Jedi, I'm deeply confused as to how the audience rating could possibly be lower than any of the prequels! LIke, what's the hell did this movie do wrong??

Unless it's just completely mismarketed... I've got no idea. Seeing it tonight tho.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Having not yet seen The Last Jedi, I'm deeply confused as to how the audience rating could possibly be lower than any of the prequels! LIke, what's the hell did this movie do wrong??

Unless it's just completely mismarketed... I've got no idea. Seeing it tonight tho.

Nothing really wrong. Some people are just crazy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'll be honest, TLJ didn't feel anywhere nearly as dark as the trailers made me think.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If TFA was its marketing then yes it was majorly mis-marketed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Let's see how I can explain this without spoilers...

The outrage is more about what the movie isn't than what it is

Not to say there aren't ppl who can divorce their expectations based on the #brand from what the movie is and still not like it. But they aren't the ones driving the scores down on RT or IMDB

• Like 13

I doubt this as will be as frontloaded over the weekend as TFA.

TFA was a must see the first 24 hours it opened. 

I think alot of people dragged their feet getting tickets this time around, more willing to wait Saturday or Sunday for the good seats.