grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Huh? Did you read the whole article. It's he said she said shit.

A Rotten Tomatoes representative told HuffPost they are taking the claim “very seriously” and have a team of “security, network, social, database experts who monitor all of our platforms and they haven’t seen any unusual activity.”

How does that make the article false? 

Just now, weresweresweres said:

Adjusted it's over 450 mln. Is 450 relatively easy number to surpass?

It's a lot easier to pass than Spidey 1's adjusted gross of $620m.

Pirates 1/Pirates 2 is similar to what we saw later with Transformers 1/Transformers 2. First movie had a really nice total but was not breaking records. Did very well with huge home video sales. Sequel ends up being a huge opener with a huge total.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's generally liked but let's not act like this Dark Knight, Jurassic World or Avengers. Or, Force Awakens. People are taking everything to bizarre extremes. The WOM seems good enough. Not bad but certainly not great either.

Pretty much. We're seeing it in the dailies. Very interested to see what Friday's number looks like. If it has a much bigger jump than RO, then we can consider that the movie is course correcting and that its worse drops than RO during the first set of weekdays was an anomaly. 

8 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Adjusted it's over 450 mln. Is 450 relatively easy number to surpass?

I think it's easier to think about it if you look at tickets sold, not gross. 

I know @redfirebird2008 knows these numbers better than I do. SM, TDK, Avatar, Shrek 2 sold about 70m tickets each, right?  Maybe Avengers/Jurassic World were in the same range?  The ONLY movies to sell more tickets in the last 20 years, is Titanic, TPM, and TFA.  

It's not an easy thing to do at all. And since we have record of a number of films topping out around 70-75m tickets that seems like a soft bar for the max most movies can do. Unless you're Star Wars or Titanic. 

• Like 1

I assume we'll see a bigger jump today than normal since many/most schools are out and the holiday vacations are starting?

@EmpireCity or anyone else... has the been any indication over they past few years that the growth in online shopping has lessened the typically horrible Christmas Eve drops?

In the past Christmas Eve for me would be spent at the mall finishing up everything.  This year we bought every present from Amazon and have nothing to do on Christmas Eve.  (we decided to see TLJ again )

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

I think it's easier to think about it if you look at tickets sold, not gross. 

I know @redfirebird2008 knows these numbers better than I do. SM, TDK, Avatar, Shrek 2 sold about 70m tickets each, right?  Maybe Avengers/Jurassic World were in the same range?  The ONLY movies to sell more tickets in the last 20 years, is Titanic, TPM, and TFA.  

It's not an easy thing to do at all. And since we have record of a number of films topping out around 70-75m tickets that seems like a soft bar for the max most movies can do. Unless you're Star Wars or Titanic. 

I think Avatar and Shrek 2 are closer to 80 million. Shrek 2 (and Lion King...and any other animated movie) is very underestimated by BOM's ticket counter. Child tickets are a lot cheaper than adult tickets.

TDK, Avengers 1, Spidey 1, and Jurassic World are all around 70 million tickets once you adjust them for stuff like IMAX boost, 3D boost, PLF boost, and so forth.

Pirates 1 sold about 51 million tickets. That's very good, but it's not in the same territory as the others above. Really the story for that film was incredible legs and then amazing home video sales, which ended up benefiting the sequel in a very obvious way (broke the weekend record).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

17.8 is a 5.3% bump from 16.9 Thu.

Needs 40.5% Fri jump for 25 - the minimum imo to keep 70+ FSS alive.

Brutal. RO's Thursday bump was 12.1%. Big numbers in a vacuum, obviously, but clearly WOM isn't where some people suggest it is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

I assume we'll see a bigger jump today than normal since many/most schools are out and the holiday vacations are starting?

@EmpireCity or anyone else... has the been any indication over they past few years that the growth in online shopping has lessened the typically horrible Christmas Eve drops?

In the past Christmas Eve for me would be spent at the mall finishing up everything.  This year we bought every present from Amazon and have nothing to do on Christmas Eve.  (we decided to see TLJ again )

What you describe probably helps, but at the same time there are also theaters that will be closed very early on Christmas Eve. So even if people would like to go to the movies later that evening, they might not be able to due to the theaters being closed.

I think best case scenario would be a drop around 40%. Rogue One and TFA did out-perform other movies on Christmas Eve the last two years, so we'll see if this trend continues. Of course "out-performing" could mean around 48% drop if everything else is dropping 55-60%.

• Like 1