AniNate

SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water | Paul Tibbitt | Feb. 6, 2015 | First Trailer on Page 9

I'm shocked at how well the movie is performing and I truly think its performance is unprecedented for a cartoon TV adaptation.

Usually the argument of "why pay when you can watch for free" always wins out in the box-office, especially when it comes to the children TV properties.

With the exception of The Rugrats Movie (which debuted at the apex of its popularity) and The Simpsons Movie, any TV adaption would be lucky to gross over $80 million, with even tons of popular of cartoons grossing as little as under $10 million.

I feel like the release date was smartly placed, as the holidays or summer are too packed with competition.

With The Lego Movie and now SpongeBob, more and more animation will be looking for a February release date.

We'll see how well the legs hold up for the movie, but as of now it appears to be performing as an animated hit rather than a cartoon TV adaptation.

I'm shocked at how well the movie is performing and I truly think its performance is unprecedented for a cartoon TV adaptation.

Usually the argument of "why pay when you can watch for free" always wins out in the box-office, especially when it comes to the children TV properties.

With the exception of The Rugrats Movie (which debuted at the apex of its popularity) and The Simpsons Movie, any TV adaption would be lucky to gross over $80 million, with even tons of popular of cartoons grossing as little as under $10 million.

I feel like the release date was smartly placed, as the holidays or summer are too packed with competition.

With The Lego Movie and now SpongeBob, more and more animation will be looking for a February release date.

We'll see how well the legs hold up for the movie, but as of now it appears to be performing as an animated hit rather than a cartoon TV adaptation.

I think the movie is also performing well because of the nostalgia factor, the show is 16 years old, so lots of kids have grown with this show. SpongeBob is one of the few animated show left that can be popular enough to make good B.O. numbers.

Maybe Disney should reconsider that Phineas and Ferb movie that got cancelled or CN could go with an Adventure Time movie.

Is the 2D animation in 3D because I've found that the conversion done by Disney for Lion King and Beauty and the Beast was very good. 

Yes, and even better since the animation is done precisely for 3D. (yes even the 2D segments)

Not surprised this is doing well, although the movie is about 2/3rds traditionally animated insanity targeting older viewers (with Mad Max, 2001 Space Oddessy and Strangelove references) with some seriously trippy stuff in the middle... and then shifts to a VERY lame kid-pandering superhero Smurfs-esque live-action/CGI thing for the last twenty minutes. It got a B on CinemaScore for a good reason: unlike the first film, this one is extremely inconsistent and will end up frustrating both old and new fans of SpongeBob. 

Fortunately they chose the Lego Movie February release date. This is now the perfect date for any wacky and subversive animated film to break-out, and currently the date is wide open in 2016. Hopefully "The Nut Job 2" doesn't take the spot because that'll be a disappointment after what 2014 and 2015 have given us. (for the record, I at least liked the good that this movie gave us, and it's the majority of it fortunately) 

It's kind of insane how prime this spot is for Paramount, as the next animated film is "Home" at the end of March. Lego had Peabody and Sherman to (barely) compete with in early March. So for a movie which may be crumpled by competition as the WOM is more lukewarm, audiences have no choice but SpongeBob. Brilliant. I could see this doing triple business globally of that of the first one, although its DOM will be lesser than Lego simply because it doesn't have as much fresh and eager drive. I seriously have no idea why WB delayed the sequel to 2018, which is absolutely an idiotic move, Lego Batman or not.