grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

JUMANJI's RT Aud score makes it to 90%. Started off at 85% on OD.

Average Rating: 4.4/5
User Ratings: 18,577

What if it gets to 300? January looks pretty weak. 

Here come the anecdotes, but it was the movie talk of my family today. All my nieces and nephews talked about how much they loved it and paid TLJ dust. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Even playing at higher numbers that increase looks out of whack... 

A 51% bump does seem off, if the rest of the films are jumping 100+% on Christmas Day (in some cases, significantly more than 100%)...

The simplest explanation, as MovieMan and others have pointed to, is that the mixed WOM is simply catching up to The Last Jedi now and really hurting it, so that it had a significantly muted Christmas day increase and most families checking out Jumanji instead.

My other theory has to do with the official estimates at BOM still having $14.6M as The Last Jedi's Sunday number (rather than RTH's $17.4M or Deadline's $17.9M). Why are they all different and no update to the official estimate (when Jumanji's estimate was updated, for example)? Could it be that $14.6M is the Sunday number, so $27M for Christmas Day represents an 85% increase? That would seem more in line with the rest of the films, with a somewhat smaller increase because of the larger scale of the numbers/mixed-WOM.

But on the other hand, RTH gave the $17.4M update for Sunday, if I recall, pretty late in the day, and RTH is the gold standard of accuracy, so I have no reason to doubt him (and I mean no disrespect). I'm just thinking out loud. Deadline's estimate would seem to lend credence as well. I suppose it could be that the estimate just wasn't updated on BOM because Disney didn't provide an update in the estimates during the holidays... (?)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MikeQ said:

A 51% bump does seem off, if the rest of the films are jumping 100+% on Christmas Day (in some cases, significantly more than 100%)...

The simplest explanation, as MovieMan and others have pointed to, is that the mixed WOM is simply catching up to The Last Jedi now and really hurting it, so that it had a significantly muted Christmas day increase and most families checking out Jumanji instead.

[My other theory has to do with the official estimates at BOM still having $14.6M as The Last Jedi's Sunday number (rather than RTH's $17.4M or Deadline's $17.9M). Why are they all different and no update to the official estimate? Could it be that $14.6M is the Sunday number, so $27M for Christmas Day represents an 85% increase? That would seem more in line with the rest of the films, with a somewhat smaller increase because of the larger scale of the numbers/mixed-WOM.

But on the other hand, RTH gave the $17.4M update for Sunday, if I recall, pretty late in the day, and RTH is the gold standard of accuracy, so I have no reason to doubt him (and I mean no disrespect). I'm just thinking out loud. Deadline's estimate would seem to lend credence as well. I suppose it could be that the estimate just wasn't updated on BOM because Disney didn't provide an update in the estimates during the holidays... (?)

Peace,

Mike

I think they didnt bother to update because they know their Monday number was too high, taking 4days weekend , there is no much different from their estimate and the figure we are getting now, 100.6 vs 99

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

My other theory has to do with the official estimates at BOM still having $14.6M as The Last Jedi's Sunday number (rather than RTH's $17.4M or Deadline's $17.9M). Why are they all different and no update to the official estimate? Could it be that $14.6M is the Sunday number, so $27M for Christmas Day represents an 85% increase? That would seem more in line with the rest of the films, with a somewhat smaller increase because of the larger scale of the numbers/mixed-WOM.

Peace,

Mike

The number for Sunday was $17.4m

I think that above everything the running time is hurting The Last Jedi.  It is leading to less shows per day in a lot of cases and now you see the studio estimates are off $4m for Star Wars and Jumanji both in the opposite direction.  I think families are simply choosing a very fun and 30+ minute shorter movie as their choice.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The number for Sunday was $17.4m

I think that above everything the running time is hurting The Last Jedi.  It is leading to less shows per day in a lot of cases and now you see the studio estimates are off $4m for Star Wars and Jumanji both in the opposite direction.  I think families are simply choosing a very fun and 30+ minute shorter movie as their choice.  

giphy.gif

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1

Good for you Sony :bravo: After being written off for awhile, they end the year with a bang.

All the $ In the World doing okay too? From what I'm hearing at least, but haven't heard any confirmed numbers...

• Like 2

Just now, DAJK said:

Good for you Sony :bravo: After being written off for awhile, they end the year with a bang.

All the $ In the World doing okay too? From what I'm hearing at least, but haven't heard any confirmed numbers...

Oh wow, for some reason I was completely clueless Jumanji was Sony lol. Must have been the appealing marketing that threw me off. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think it does about $2.5m for Monday.  

• Like 2

If TLJ miss a 100 million 4 day with a 68% drop in it's 3 day then there's definitely signs of mixed word of mouth. Next weekend will cement it for sure either way but it's not boding well for TLJ's Word of Mouth being anything better then mixed.