grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yep, Star Wars success is based on nostalgia. Even TPM relies on you knowing some Star Wars lore.

I promise you all that if you erased your Star Wars memories before going imto TFA, you would not have loved it.

I love TFA not for its nostalgic touches. Im 20, i didnt even grew up with the OT, i grew up with the Prequels :gold:

TFA has fantastic cinematography, awesome action scenes, a good script, great, GREAT characters and a good sense of humour. Yes, especially in the 3rd act, it relies a bit too much on ANH scenery, but i can get past that because the rest is so goddamn awesome. It blows the prequels out of the water and is better than the OT for me personally.

Dont let your opinion blind you.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

I think many are still in denial.. such as those arguing about a final north of over 600m being good, and the potential of this being one of the top 5 films of all time domestic. It is not about the absolute number. It is the weak holds and multiple for TLJ.

If it opened to 150m, and legged it to 650m...we have a different story here. But a 220m opening, with a <3x Multiple is worrying, because it shows WoM is bad and that GA and Fans can turn on the franchise if they don't like the film. This multiple is worrying for Han Solo and Episode 9. Now audiences won't even care about RT scores because TLJ proved a high RT score doesn't matter. Opening for the next SW film.may be significantly lower as people wait for the WoM. 

Rival Studios now know that counter programming against SW can work, and will dare to put on riskier and higher budget projects against a SW movie. When TFA came out, there was barely any strong competion... now things have changed.

Those arguing about franchise fatigue, 3 movies in 3 years. Well, i don't think it affected TLJ that much, because it opened to 220m and dropped off after that due to WoM.

• Like 12

49 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I never liked the word "locked". I think that every BO run is to a certain level unpredictable. I mean, nearly everyone on the planet said that TFA was "locked" to NOT top the OW record, because it was December, and we know how that turned out.

Yeah people need to stop abusing the word "locked". The highest gross for TLJ that was "locked" before its run started was $400m, maybe $500m.

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I think many are still in denial.. such as those arguing about a final north of over 600m being good, and the potential of this being one of the top 5 films of all time domestic. It is not about the absolute number. It is the weak holds and multiple for TLJ.

If it opened to 150m, and legged it to 650m...we have a different story here. But a 220m opening, with a <3x Multiple is worrying, because it shows WoM is bad and that GA and Fans can turn on the franchise if they don't like the film. This multiple is worrying for Han Solo and Episode 9. Now audiences won't even care about RT scores because TLJ proved a high RT score doesn't matter. Opening for the next SW film.may be significantly lower as people wait for the WoM. 

Rival Studios now know that counter programming against SW can work, and will dare to put on riskier and higher budget projects against a SW movie. When TFA came out, there was barely any strong competion... now things have changed.

Those arguing about franchise fatigue, 3 movies in 3 years. Well, i don't think it affected TLJ that much, because it opened to 220m and dropped off after that due to WoM.

And theaters will be pissed too, for Disney forcing this to be shown on their biggest screens for 4 weeks, and now the movie is disappointing while Jumanji is thriving. Hopefully next time they can tell Disney to fuck right off.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Good points here, but ... First, I think the belief that any movie with the "Star Wars" brand attached to it is automatically bullet-proof in terms of amazing box office is a fan belief, not an industry belief. The other studios weren't shy about releasing other commercial films against TLJ.

Second, I do think fatigue is a factor. IMO, the $220m opening represents those for whom fatigue hasn't set in, and obviously that's still a big hunk of people. But the shorter legs reflects it, not just the WOM. WOM + fatigue = the relatively shorter legs.

If i were Disney, I'd ratchet back the release dates for Solo and whatever else is coming down the pipe. Definitely a warning shot that they can't expect $500m DOM and up box office from a Star Wars film every year, that pace is just insane.

Push stuff back now, before they spend $300m in production budget on a SW film that doesn't even make that DOM. That's coming, at this rate, and soon. 

• Like 1

I have not heard bad WOM myself where I am from but then again Americans have a very different relationship to Star Wars than we do.

I guess certain things about it are just too sacred for way too many people after all. I wonder if/when Disney will start sweating about that new trilogy and if/when they'll start meddling with its original plans.

Edited by Arlborn

If Jumanji outgrosses Justice League (and it may happen at this point) and Sony ends up with two movies in the top 10 DOM of 2017 at JL's expense, every WB executive may collectively jump off the Water Tower in hopes to at least break their legs.

TLJ though :whosad:

EDIT: OH THANK GOD (not really cause it's not happening, but......)

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-jumanji-2-1202648631/

Edited by MCKillswitch123

42 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I love TFA not for its nostalgic touches. Im 20, i didnt even grew up with the OT, i grew up with the Prequels :gold:

TFA has fantastic cinematography, awesome action scenes, a good script, great, GREAT characters and a good sense of humour. Yes, especially in the 3rd act, it relies a bit too much on ANH scenery, but i can get past that because the rest is so goddamn awesome. It blows the prequels out of the water and is better than the OT for me personally.

Dont let your opinion blind

You grew up on Star Wars, that is my point. It's next to impossible to think of how much you would have liked TFA without memories of Star Wars. If you're from USA you've basically been brainbugged into loving Star Wars your whole life. Hell I'm from the UK and my youth was bombarded by sws toys, games, adverts, films, tv shows.. it's impossible to avoid.

My point is knowing you would have liked TFA without Star Wars memories is hogwash, theres no way of knowing.

Anyway I agree with you that the visuals were pretty in TFA. The script, characters, action and humour on the otherhand, mediocre.

TFA could have been something so much more.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hmmm this makes no sense, it should have cleared 30 million with ease on Monday and Tuesday,

:gold:

If this does not recover, 700 million is off the table.

It’s already off the table unfortunately.  I’d sign up for $650m at this point :/ 

That’s just such a disappointing #, and I only wanted $30m flat.

10 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

According to Variety TLJ did $32 Million on Monday.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-jumanji-2-1202648631/

That’s better than $27 million at least.

I think they used Deadline number, I but I would be very happy if I am wrong, because 32 is much better number...

48 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Dont let your opinion blind you.

I agree with you on all points.

Actually TFA was the first SW film I watched in Cinema.

According to Variety TLJ did $32 Million on Monday.

That’s better than $27 million at least.

Variety posted that on Christmas morning 10:42AM PST, so about 18 hours ago.

Rth had the later update, 5 hours ago. His number is going to be way more accurate.
Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not that Dom is anywhere near as important as worldwide, but this whole thing has a certain pottery too it.

TFA fans were gunning for Avatar world wide, they didn't stop to think can we even beat Titanic.

TLJ fans were gunning for Avatar dom, they didn't stop to think can we even beat Titanic.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Not that Dom is anywhere near as important as worldwide, but this whole thing has a certain pottery too it.

TFA fans were gunning for Avatar world wide, they didn't stop to think can we even beat Titanic.

TLJ fans were gunning for Avatar dom, they didn't stop to think can we even beat Titanic.

IronJimbo wanted to be as annoying as BKB, he didn’t stop to think am I actually as annoying as Kal?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, NCsoft said:

I'm really loving this TLJ run so far, opening weekend wasn't all that eventful, from then on everyday is a rollarcoaster. 

Me too. Sure, I wish it was doing better but I prefer exciting, unpredictable boxoffice runs to standard ones. 

Hoo boy. I woke up expecting an increase over 32M that was estimated yesterday :hahaha:only to hear about 27M and read all the meltdowns! :hi5:IMO, bloated running time may be one of factors, not just less shows per day but also when you feel the running time you are less likely to come back. Like, I really want to see it again but that also mean sitting through certain sections of the movie that bloat the running time like an average post-LOTR Peter Jackson movie. Tough.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1