grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Amazing how healthy blockbuster legs still were back in '02. Looking at the summer releases, most everything was 3.4x+, and only Scooby Doo and Austin Powers missed 3x. AOTC might have joined them if it had opened on a Friday. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

LoL Age of Ultron Drop ONLY 100M from The first film... 

Yeah, Age of Ultron just had a domestic drop and performed better overseas.

The Last Jedi might have a 700 million worldwide drop, which would be massive for a sequel. If you think about that, a possible 700 million drop is higher than the entire Justice League worldwide numbers and several other movies numbers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, Age of Ultron just had a domestic drop and performed better overseas.

The Last Jedi might have a 700 million worldwide drop, which would be massive for a sequel. If you think about that, a possible 700 million drop is higher than the entire Justice League worldwide numbers and several other movies numbers. 

The OS drop is definitely the most troubling about its run. You have sequels to OS giants like Ultron and Fate of the Furious that either increased or didn't drop much OS in spite of the big DOM decreases. There's really nothing good at all about a sequel dropping 35% or so from its predecessor's gross OS. Exchange rate is far from a good enough excuse alone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

The average price for TFA, which was way higher than the average of 2015...

So you're basically talking about 3D/IMAX inflation then? Just the way you did it threw me off cause you adjusted TPM up instead of TFA down. But yeah, somewhere around 850 or so is probably where TFA would land without 3D/IMAX. Still well over a 100m+ lead on TPM adjusted. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How on earth do you get that? What average ticket prices are you using? 

He’s 100% correct and if anything TPM sold as many tickets as TFA. A huge portion of tickets sold to TPM were kids tickets because it was a PG movie. The average ticket price for the year would be ABOVE the average paid to see TPM. TFA’s average ticket price wouldn’t be anything close to as low as the annual average with way more PLF and 3D showings in there compared to any other movie both by volume and percentage.

Its likely TPM sold about 90-95 million tickets and it’s likely TFA also sold 90-95 million. It’s even closer than his math. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The OS drop is definitely the most troubling about its run. You have sequels to OS giants like Ultron and Fate of the Furious that either increased or didn't drop much OS in spite of the big DOM decreases. There's really nothing good at all about a sequel dropping 35% or so from its predecessor's gross OS. Exchange rate is far from a good enough excuse alone. 

Probably the problem of simply not connecting with OS-audience and in Uk, Germany, Japan, France and Australia the situation is basically the same as it is in the US.

46 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TFA eclipses TPM by over 200m adjusted too, so again it's not that big of an achievement for TLJ to be beating AOTC by that much.

And yes, I definitely think AOTC's run felt a blowback from TPM's reception. That's what's concerning for IX if the TLJ reception is indeed very mixed. Though conversely, AOTC was received arguably just as poorly, and ROTS still increased. But there was a huge hook for that movie too. 

Agreed, but I will point out the TFA outdid TPM by about $150M.

And really, though the reception towards TLJ is divisive, those are related more to the narrative and thematic decisions.  No one thinks it was a badly made and poorly acted film like AOTC.

EDIT:

And I will add that I think with time TLJ's virtues will come to the fore, and people will come to love it.

Edited by LinksterAC

18 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

He’s 100% correct and if anything TPM sold as many tickets as TFA. A huge portion of tickets sold to TPM were kids tickets because it was a PG movie. The average ticket price for the year would be ABOVE the average paid to see TPM. TFA’s average ticket price wouldn’t be anything close to as low as the annual average with way more PLF and 3D showings in there compared to any other movie both by volume and percentage.

Its likely TPM sold about 90-95 million tickets and it’s likely TFA also sold 90-95 million. It’s even closer than his math. 

I have always gone with 95m for TFA and 85m for TPM, but I don’t rule out the kid ticket boost for TPM putting them much closer. 

The original Jumanji adjusts to 204M. The new one will fly past that to a 270M+ DOM total. For me, that is as impressive as BatB 17' crushing the originals 312M adjusted first run figure with 504M.

• Like 1

Daily Domestic Chart for Monday December 25th, 2017

Movie Gross % Change Theaters Total Gross Days  
- (-) Coco $2,805,466 +113% 2,111   $164,307,743 34

Coco had a 1.3M sunday [against the $ 1.1M estimate], and a much better monday jump [the estimate was $ 2.1M], with the Cheap Tuesday, this could jump another 20 - 35% to $ 3.3M - $ 3.8M today [but i'll be conservative and expect $ 3M to not being disappointed].

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Amazing how healthy blockbuster legs still were back in '02. Looking at the summer releases, most everything was 3.4x+, and only Scooby Doo and Austin Powers missed 3x. AOTC might have joined them if it had opened on a Friday. 

I sometimes adjust the summers of 2001-2004 to todays ticket prices on BOM and just enjoy seeing massive numbers after massive numbers. Summer 2003 was insane with blockbuster after blockbuster opening right after each other without them really affecting each others legs. It was definetly a whole different time. I mean, 2004 had Shrek 2 doing 600M+ adjusted and Spider-Man 2 doing 500M+ adjusted in Summer. I wonder if we will ever see something like that in a summer season again.