grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

The original Jumanji adjusts to 204M. The new one will fly past that to a 270M+ DOM total. For me, that is as impressive as BatB 17' crushing the originals 312M adjusted first run figure with 504M.

Jumanji did good, but it wasn't super massive or anything, it is not even in Robin Williams' Top 13 DOM movies. HOOK beat it, and that movie was considered a disappointment, both Hook and Jumanji had similar budgets too.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But TFA probably had a huge kid ticket audience as well. Both films were true 4 quad giants. 

Where that gets complicated...there are no child discounts for IMAX and theater brand PLF’s. So if a family shows up and goes to the “convenient” PLF show, they might get stuck paying full price for their kids. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Where that gets complicated...there are no child discounts for IMAX and theater brand PLF’s. So if a family shows up and goes to the “convenient” PLF show, they might get stuck paying full price for their kids. 

I highly doubt family audiences were the ones seeing it in PLF and IMAX though.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji did good, but it wasn't super massive or anything, it is not even in Robin Williams' Top 13 DOM movies. HOOK beat it, and that movie was considered a disappointment, both Hook and Jumanji had similar budgets too.

The original Jumanji wasn't a massive box office smash but it gained a following over the years. Casper made more money the same year as Jumanji but it's forgotten. 

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Daily Domestic Chart for Monday December 25th, 2017

Movie Gross % Change Theaters Total Gross Days  
- (-) Coco $2,805,466 +113% 2,111   $164,307,743 34

Coco had a 1.3M sunday [against the $ 1.1M estimate], and a much better monday jump [the estimate was $ 2.1M], with the Cheap Tuesday, this could jump another 20 - 35% to $ 3.3M - $ 3.8M today [but i'll be conservative and expect $ 3M to not being disappointed].

Considering all the doom and gloom over it reaching 200m, and the fact that it has some serious competition, as well as the fact that it's fallen below Moana at that same point, that's actually not a bad number for Coco. I'm thinking it winds up with around 210m in the end. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

One quick thought: Disney should just put SW to a hiatus after Episode IX, regardless of how well that film will do. Give the franchise another 10 years, and the hunger will be there again.

I agree, 2027, as I already said, would be a good year (50 Years SW etc.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

One quick thought: Disney should just put SW to a hiatus after Episode IX, regardless of how well that film will do. Give the franchise another 10 years, and the hunger will be there again.

This is why I'm hoping for Solo to bomb hard and maybe a bit of TLJ backlash leading into IX. Only thing that would cause Disney to do that like they should. 

Just now, Brainbug said:

Why in the world would they do that?  

Even if Star Wars becomes normal and not a gigantic event, they are still going to churn out $700m-$1.5b every time they make one.  If they can keep the budgets more in line of a $175m for the stories and $225m for the chapter, they are going to print money.  

I can remember when people said Marvel should stop and take a break because a few movies didn't open huge.  They have proven that you keep bringing people in with a fresh take and you can not only keep these movies going, but you can increase.  

We are talking about the same company that had a couple of mediocre Thor movies and then suddenly get fresh eyes on it and they make $320m domestic and $900m overall.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The OS drop is definitely the most troubling about its run. You have sequels to OS giants like Ultron and Fate of the Furious that either increased or didn't drop much OS in spite of the big DOM decreases. There's really nothing good at all about a sequel dropping 35% or so from its predecessor's gross OS. Exchange rate is far from a good enough excuse alone. 

Agree with this 100% 

I didn’t expect it to drop that much OS. I figured,at worse it could hit 800; which still would have been a 300+ drop from what TFA did. This movie is the definition of split WOM amongst the fan base. It seems either you love it or hate it. 

Im on the love it side. I think the choices RJ made open up the story for the Saga films to all kinds of new possibilities. It doesn’t have to be burdened by having to ALWAYS be about the Skywalkers. Time to move forward with new characters and new story lines. 

I do do understand the problems people have with it. When you’ve loved something for 30-40+ years change can be difficult to accept. Oh well. I’ll be really interested to see what they do with Ep9 now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean, 2004 had Shrek 2 doing 600M+ adjusted and Spider-Man 2 doing 500M+ adjusted in Summer. I wonder if we will ever see something like that in a summer season again.

Summer 2015 was pretty insane too.

Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 4,291 $208,806,270 4,274 6/12 11/19
  Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $459,005,868 4,276 $191,271,109 4,276 5/1 10/8
  Inside Out BV $356,461,711 4,158 $90,440,272 3,946 6/19 12/10
  Minions Uni. $336,045,770 4,311 $115,718,405 4,301 7/10 12/17

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Why in the world would they do that?  

Even if Star Wars becomes normal and not a gigantic event, they are still going to churn out $700m-$1.5b every time they make one.  If they can keep the budgets more in line of a $175m for the stories and $225m for the chapter, they are going to print money.  

I can remember when people said Marvel should stop and take a break because a few movies didn't open huge.  They have proven that you keep bringing people in with a fresh take and you can not only keep these movies going, but you can increase.  

We are talking about the same company that had a couple of mediocre Thor movies and then suddenly get fresh eyes on it and they make $320m domestic and $900m overall.  

I agree, from a financial standpoint, they should just make one after another. However, that would make SW less and less special. Its just something i want to happen, but Disney surely coundt care less about what i want :lol:

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Summer 2015 was pretty insane too.

Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 4,291 $208,806,270 4,274 6/12 11/19
  Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $459,005,868 4,276 $191,271,109 4,276 5/1 10/8
  Inside Out BV $356,461,711 4,158 $90,440,272 3,946 6/19 12/10
  Minions Uni. $336,045,770 4,311 $115,718,405 4,301 7/10 12/17

Yes, but 2015 was mostly feast or famine, whereas the 2000s were just feast.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I agree, from a financial standpoint, they should just make one after another. However, that would make SW less and less special. Its just something i want to happen, but Disney surely coundt care less about what i want :lol:

People should get used to it not being anywhere close to the same level of "special" going forward.  It won't be, it is going to be like Marvel.  

The thing fans and general audiences should be excited for is when they get outside of this trilogy and the stories.  There is a universe of possibility for these films to take off in a new direction.  

• Like 2