grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

This thread alone has proven how Star Wars vocal minority will act and how little they should pay attention to it. 

I literally saw the last few weeks the narrative go from "JJ Abrams is a fucking hack and Rian Johnson is awesome!! Looper!!" to "Rian Johnson is a fucking hack and JJ Abrams will totally be awesome and save Episode 9!!"

If that crazy group of people can swing from "Never let JJ Abrams touch Star Wars again!!" to "JJ Abrams totally gets Star Wars and Episode 9 will be awesome!!" then they aren't really worth listening to.  

Or maybe Internet is made from many, different people? :jeb!:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The problem is you're disregarding the fact that a massive performance for it was guaranteed. There was 0% chance of it dropping below like 550 DOM, even if it were considered the worst movie ever made with no marketing campaign. That's why saying it posted massive numbers is no big achievement in and of itself. There should have been no way it went below 650 if it had delivered, and now that's a possibility. 

Before you bombard me with "But its a giant drop from TFA!", i always try to also look at the raw numbers of a movie from a neutral standpoint. And i refuse to call its run "bad", "disappointing" or "pathetic" if it ends up in the Top 40 DOM of all time adjusted, mediocre multiplier or not.

Read that again^^.

Its totally fine to say that its run is a disappointment with the context of TFA, christmas holidays and so on. But just TRY to think that this is not The Last Jedi, this is Movie X. Movie X opened to 220M and will finish with a DOM total of 600M+. Movie X is an incredible success. That is what im trying to say with this list of adjusted grosses. I personally look at a performance like TLJ from the franchise standpoint and the neutral standpoint. You can, ofc, disagree with this method. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The bigger thing is this one of the most mind blowing investments in the history of cinema.  $4.06b and they have already made their money back and more.  They also are paying themselves in house for things like special effects and sound since they acquired ILM and Skywalker Sound and other film studios use them as well.  Merchandise, new theme parks, billions in licensed content, etc....

Disney is not worried on any level about how The Last Jedi is doing. 

Wow never thought about it this way.. I thought the mouse would be going bankrupt after tlj.

Thanks for the unique perspective.

• Haha 3

For anyone concerned with the overseas numbers, these movies going forward could release domestic only and still make billions overall for Disney.  

They can get it to the point where these are $175m budgeted movies, they make $350m domestic and then kill it with toys and licensing and a bunch of other revenue streams adding content to their streaming and theme parks and produce one per year forever.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This thread alone has proven how Star Wars vocal minority will act and how little they should pay attention to it. 

I literally saw the last few weeks the narrative go from "JJ Abrams is a fucking hack and Rian Johnson is awesome!! Looper!!" to "Rian Johnson is a fucking hack and JJ Abrams will totally be awesome and save Episode 9!!"

If that crazy group of people can swing from "Never let JJ Abrams touch Star Wars again!!" to "JJ Abrams totally gets Star Wars and Episode 9 will be awesome!!" then they aren't really worth listening to.  

It's because the vocal minority that disliked TFA is small figment compared to people who had issues with TLJ.

I loved TFA and look forward to JJ who i think respects the fans while Rian could care less.

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Its very funny to me that - in many cases - the same people that called J.J. "Jar Jar Abrams" for making TFA a "remake of ANH" now call for his return. The hypocrisy is real.

Btw, i mean the Internet in general, this forum is still a very civil place compared to the warzones of YT, Twitter and Co.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Before you bombard me with "But its a giant drop from TFA!", i always try to also look at the raw numbers of a movie from a neutral standpoint. And i refuse to call its run "bad", "disappointing" or "pathetic" if it ends up in the Top 40 DOM of all time adjusted, mediocre multiplier or not.

Read that again^^.

Its totally fine to say that its run is a disappointment with the context of TFA, christmas holidays and so on. But just TRY to think that this is not The Last Jedi, this is Movie X. Movie X opened to 220M and will finish with a DOM total of 600M+. Movie X is an incredible success. That is what im trying to say with this list of adjusted grosses. I personally look at a performance like TLJ from the franchise standpoint and the neutral standpoint. You can, ofc, disagree with this method. 

But why would you look at the box office that way? You realize that's equivalent to saying there should be no different reaction between Jumanji grossing 600+ DOM and TLJ grossing 600+ DOM. Of course the reactions to each film's performance would be worlds and worlds apart in that scenario, because studios don't just put all films on an equal level and then look at the gross and pay attention to nothing else at all. And neither do we as box office followers. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, EmmaPeel said:

According to Box Office Mojo, TPM is 18th in number of tickets sold domestically with an estimated 90,312,100 tickets while TFA is 11th with an estimated 108,115,100 tickets sold. That's a difference of 17,803,000 tickets.

Everyone knows these aren't the most accurate estimates, as ticket prices for a movie can vary greafly from the yearly average (like TFA, which was significantly pricier than your average 2015 movie).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Read that again^^.

Movie Y opened to $166m and made $330m in total, plus an extra $543m overseas for an $873m worldwide total. Movie Y was a hit!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

For anyone concerned with the overseas numbers, these movies going forward could release domestic only and still make billions overall for Disney.  

They can get it to the point where these are $175m budgeted movies, they make $350m domestic and then kill it with toys and licensing and a bunch of other revenue streams adding content to their streaming and theme parks and produce one per year forever.  

I doubt that that is what Disney wants, but I think I get what you mean.

Also I would say if they kill it with Toys etc. that would indicate interest so the gross should be better.

And there like 5-10 Os-Market where SW is an established Franchise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Avatar also require 3D theaters back in 2009

They will update a lot of theaters for the sequel, no doubt

There is a huge doubt, but admittedly now that Disney is in control it is more complicated.  

Theater owners are not going to make conversions to 3D or a new technology to show Avatar sequels unless it is mind blowing and cheap.  

3 minutes ago, EmmaPeel said:

I don't think it's poorly made in terms of cinematography, music, or production design. But it's pacing is off, the editing is spotty, and the script is mediocre. Some people might come to love it eventually but not all. There are just too many real weaknesses in it that Empire Strikes Back, the movie everyone points to as it's analogue, didn't have. ESB's only real problem was people's expectations. Once people got over that, the movie could shine for what it was. ESB had few narrative, character, or pacing problems. TLJ has real story and flow issues that don't go away once you've made peace with the fact that it "doesn't go the way you think". If anything, my third viewing was the one I enjoyed the least.

Well, first, I don't think it's a technically perfect film.  But it's nowhere near anything we'd call bad (like the prequels).  I can agree with you on some points, but not others.  I will remind you that ESB was criticized heavily for its pacing, narrative, and editing during its initial release. 

I'd love to read your perspectives on these points in the spoiler thread. :)

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

But why would you look at the box office that way? You realize that's equivalent to saying there should be no different reaction between Jumanji grossing 600+ DOM and TLJ grossing 600+ DOM. Of course the reactions to each film's performance would be worlds and worlds apart in that scenario, because studios don't just put all films on an equal level and then look at the gross and pay attention to nothing else at all. And neither do we as box office followers. 

But such a case woundt harm my method :lol:. From the neutral standpoint, both the SW 600M grosser and the Jumanji 600M grosser would i consider incredibe successes.

Then comes the overall standpoint (franchises in context to one another/budgets/adjusted numbers and so on...) and i would call the 600M SW a big success and the 600M Jumanji movie the most impressive BO run in decades.

So, i see no problem there to look at the numbers that way.

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

Movie Y opened to $166m and made $330m in total, plus an extra $543m overseas for an $873m worldwide total. Movie Y was a hit!

financially I though that Movie was a hit.

But of course not compared to what was expected.

And I think financially Movie X will be a much bigger success. Basically same cost, but like 300 Mio$ more dom and 100 Mio $ more overseas.

People who think TFA isn’t well liked lol the movie had amazing legs and it’s imdb/RT audience scores have maintained high levels for 2 years now. Not only that but Rogue One likely overperformed due to a residual TFA effect and TLJ opened to $220m. The TFA haters are definitely a small minority. TLJ’s response is actually divided. 

The bigger issue for SW is they’re not breaking into any new markets (it’s doing terribly in SK and looks to do terribly in China). 

• Thanks 1