grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Just now, MattW said:

When they're reading the numbers they have presales already locked in and they're guessing at what the walkups will be for the rest of the day compared to similar movies.  So I think walkups are lower relative to presales when comparing with Rogue One and TFA

IMO indicating word of mouth isn't the best

Yep, this is probably bang on.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

:hahaha: 

This isn't going into more than 100-200 theaters

Yeah, that's a rough number. They should've saved it for next year, it was never going to be much of an Oscar player anyway (especially with an unproven distributor).

Looking like TLJ really is TFA's own Age of Ultron: A big movie in and of itself, with not too big a drop on the opening weekend, but with a sizeable drop in WOM and domestic total. Domestic total I saw coming, it wasn't going to come anywhere near $936M, but I saw better WOM coming and much better dailies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Is it too much to ask to please save the meltdowns until after Christmas passes and see if business picks up? Probably.

But why wont business pick up more now?

People had the day off to do stuff 

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

But why wont business pick up more now?

People had the day off to do stuff 

Tons of people are still doing their last minute holiday shopping and preparing for Christmas family dinners and so on. Business always picks up (for all movies) when the holiday passes to begin with.

TLJ's performance has been disapointing and YES a finish under $700m will be a disapointment.

Everything is judged relatively to the potential that exists and I am sure a company as big as Disney will definetely be worried with the post opening weekend numbers. Do you think that companies are satisfied If something is just big? A competitive company will always reach for the maximum profit and TLJ is not delivering right now. You can say whatever you want but a multiplier under 3 will be a bad result long term for the next movies.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

When they're reading the numbers they have presales already locked in and they're guessing at what the walkups will be for the rest of the day compared to similar movies.  So I think walkups are lower relative to presales when comparing with Rogue One and TFA

IMO indicating word of mouth isn't the best

I’m of the opinion that the movie is decent, nothing daringly amazing yet not a childhood killer either. I’m no casual audience but I imagine that’s gotta be the general consensus base of numbers so far

The Force Awakens has that gigantic novelty factor that lead people to rush out to see it (granted, it also has very good legs). TLJ doesn’t have that novelty anymore so maybe people just wait to see it at their pace. We’ll see how the next 2 weeks or so shape up. 

• Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

TLJ's performance has been disapointing and YES a finish under $700m will be a disapointment.

Everything is judged relatively to the potential that exists and I am sure a company as big as Disney will definetely be worried with the post opening weekend numbers. Do you think that companies are satisfied If something is just big? A competitive company will always reach for the maximum profit and TLJ is not delivering right now. You can say whatever you want but a multiplier under 3 will be a bad result long term for the next movies.

You'll get flak for this post but it's very true. 

• Like 1

Downsizing:

2.1M

2.1M

0.9M (-55%)

5.1M Weekend

Coco has a shot at being over it this weekend :rofl: 

Showman:

3.1M

3.5M (+12%)

1.7M (-52%)

8.3M Weekend