grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

33 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Moana faced Sing

Coco is facing... Ferdinand?

It's getting more of a hit from losing theaters, I think.  When we tried to take my roommate's nieces to see it today, it was very hard to find anywhere playing it and the theater we did find only had two showings.  The theater we were in for it though was small but completely sold out.  We got there 40 min early and because of the assigned seating we had to sit in the front row.  As far as I could tell the only empty seat was beside us in the front row.  I'm hoping Coco's PTA will be good, at least.

• Like 1

Looks like Coco's dropping out of three more of the theaters in this area and will be down to only one screen by the 28th.  The next nearest after that is actually across the state lines.

I suppose it's a bit much to hope that they might ditch Ferdinand instead if its PTA is too low.

Edited by Sal

Funny how many people have been predicting huge drops for this Star Wars this weekend ever since its date has been confirmed simply because of the way the calendar looks and yet people still act surprised when it actually drops like this? You shouldn't be.

Plus sequels do tend to be more front-loaded and we all knew it was going to drop more, didn't we?

Better days are coming.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KP1025 said:

#5 actually. There's still Titanic above Jurassic World. :P

Oh. Yes, that. Thanks for pointing that out and making me feel even worse about the undeserved underperformance of TLJ :whosad:

Anyway, at least it had a decent...ish Saturday hold, and it may be pushing through 100M on 4 days. But COME ON, with a 3-day 2nd weekend on par with GOTG Vol. 2, a movie that opened almost 80M smaller? Surely you can do better than that as a fucking Star Wars movie. Christmas Eve put a very harsh drop on it, I know, but still, it's sad to see.

At least I can laugh at Pitch Perfect fans to balance out the misery. What the hell is going on with PP3, I thought it had okay wom. (Checks RT audience score) Oh. It doesn't. It's gonna struggle to make in 3-4 weeks what PP2 did on OW alone.

Jumanji is doing GREAT, on the other hand. Happy for the Rock/Hart/Black/Gillan quartet and good for Sony that they finally have a solid, non-Spider-Man or Bond potential 200M maker. Especially now so that they lost Bond to Annapurna of all studios. Highlight of the weekend, for sure.

The Greatest Showman is gonna make a sub-20M 6-day. For an 80+ budgeted film with so much promotion, that has to be pretty embarassing. Although Ferdinand is giving it a run for its money, as it may be barely past 30M by Monday, and it cost 111M to make (what the flying fuck?!). Is it ironic or concidental that Fox had the two biggest bombs(?) of Christmas week, just after their acquiral by Disney?

Paramount also with ANOTHER big ass bomb in Downsizing, and the 3rd bomb for Matt Damon in a row. It was looking so promising for him after The Martian, and even Bourne was a solid hit, but my oh my did it crumble big time for him.

Father Figures is also doing piss poor, but at least that only cost 25M (according to Google), so it has a veeeery remote chance at doubling its budget.... forget breaking even, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Jumanji did our equivalent of about 17M today at my theatre 

Star Wars fuckin 42-45M holy fuck

Father Figures 0.7M lol

Downsizing 3.3M 

Ferdinand 5.2-5.5

If those numbers would be just true for the whole market, that would be amazing.

You certainly love SW.

• Like 1

Two things seem clear:

1) Star Wars fatigue has finally set in - one movie a year for three straight years? It's amazing the box office has been as awesome as it has been up until right now. Disney should postpone Solo.

2) The lousy word of mouth rating on RT wasn't just organized hating and trolling. Whether there was some of that or not, a lot of it was real.

Disney needs to go back to one Star Wars film every 3 years, 2 at the most. FATIGUE. 

Edited by estebanJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I feel like Coco should be doing way better since it is basically the only animated movie out right now, Ferdinand isn't a threat.

CoCo is a USA disappointment. That's been glossed over by some spectacular numbers in China and Mexico, and in the media because of fawning over its Mexican themes, but in the USA it's been a box office disappointment since it opened, yet nobody wants to recognize that.

8 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

As much as I love SW I agree with this sentiment. Probably not gonna happen though 

Thing is, lots are saying not to compare TLJ to TFA because TFA was a unique once in 30+ years event, and it was.

But TLJ had a massive exceptional hook of its own - the last appearance by Carrie Fisher who was beloved, and whose early death saddened many, and not just Star Wars fans. I'm sure that mattered to a LOT of people, it's why my wife, who otherwise couldn't care less about Star Wars, went to the film with me. 

The next SW movie won't even have that. 

Edited by estebanJ

16 minutes ago, estebanJ said:

Two things seem clear:

1) Star Wars fatigue has finally set in - one movie a year for three straight years? It's amazing the box office has been as awesome as it has been up until right now. Disney should postpone Solo.

2) The lousy word of mouth rating on RT wasn't just organized hating and trolling. Whether there was some of that or not, a lot of it was real.

Disney needs to go back to one Star Wars film every 3 years, 2 at the most. FATIGUE. 

The OW doesn't indicate fatigue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, estebanJ said:

CoCo is a USA disappointment. That's been glossed over by some spectacular numbers in China and Mexico, and in the media because of fawning over its Mexican themes, but in the USA it's been a box office disappointment since it opened, yet nobody wants to recognize that.

Disappointment? It opened way above expectations (I remember quite a bunch of people having it at 55-60M for the 5-day), its drops have been mostly on par or better than Moana's, and it's on track for 200M+ DOM. And it had zero marketing to boot. Many a box office fan predicted it to be another Good Dinosaur as it was another 2nd Pixar movie in a year with dead marketing in the wake of a Star Wars episode - what kept Coco alive was the brilliant wom that really pushed its numbers far above the expected. And it has already outgrossed the equally budgeted Summer release Cars 3 domestically. How is that a disappointment?

That is why nobody wants to recognize that: because it's not a disappointment. Just because it doesn't live up to its crazy international numbers, that doesn't make Coco a DOM disappointment, given that its performance will match somewhere in the upper end of expectations. Hell, nobody expected Coco to completely overperform OS like it has, not even in Mexico.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2