grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

20 minutes ago, fmpro said:

700 mill is still out of this world.. This was never going to match TFA and the only reason why it did so much and had great legs was due to insane repeat viewings. Many went 5-10 times because they have waited years and years..

Now they settle around 3-5 maybe because the SW hunger is not as big this time around. This has nothing to do with WOM.

Its Avengers all over again

WOM is good but not incredible. A sequel needs incredible WOM to pull something similar to Spidey 2, which grossed 92.5% of Spidey 1 domestic. That would be $866m for Last Jedi, which was pretty much impossible from the beginning. 

• Like 2

I see people bringing up  MoS, BvS, SS, JL and Wonder Woman comparing to TLJ and future Star Wars movies. Sorry doesnt compare. There is 1 major reason Wonder Woman did so well and the rest didnt. The quality all around on the DCEU movies. I wanted them to do well. They didnt and the fact of the matter it is because of the vision and quality control.  WB with the DCEU went with movies that are a mess. I liked 300 and to a lessor extent Watchment, but his vision of the DCEU is a murky, dark, bloody mess. Nothing visually appealing. BvS and Suicide Squad were just plain ugly to look at (Except Margot) the sound design was a mess, the music was uninspiring.  It wasnt the idea of DC comics its what was done with them. It wasnt any sort of fatigue.  

TLJ hasnt had the blowout week from public WOM. Its weird because private WOM I havent seen the same reaction. Saw it again last night and the theater loved it. That of course is group reaction. When I talk to my family, friends and co-workers no one disliked it. No one can make me believe when I read an article that complains about not getting the back story on the color of C3PO arm in TFA not getting answered in TLJ that there isnt a group of people that want to find something to complain about.

24 minutes ago, fmpro said:

700 mill is still out of this world.. This was never going to match TFA and the only reason why it did so much and had great legs was due to insane repeat viewings. Many went 5-10 times because they have waited years and years..

Now they settle around 3-5 maybe because the SW hunger is not as big this time around. This has nothing to do with WOM.

Its Avengers all over again

Then should we expect TLJ final box office to be similar to TFA?

the drop from Phantom Menace was 30%, that would mean 655M for Last Jedi... which seems achievable, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. it's a great number. I haven't been active on the forum much recently but what numbers were people predicting for it?

1 minute ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

the drop from Phantom Menace was 30%, that would mean 655M for Last Jedi... which seems achievable, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. it's a great number. I haven't been active on the forum much recently but what numbers were people predicting for it?

660ish would be a great number, but some folks here wanted more like 750 after the 220 opening. December does usually provide much better legs. But I think with a 220 opening, all bets are off. 

9 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

I see people bringing up  MoS, BvS, SS, JL and Wonder Woman comparing to TLJ and future Star Wars movies. Sorry doesnt compare. There is 1 major reason Wonder Woman did so well and the rest didnt. The quality all around on the DCEU movies. I wanted them to do well. They didnt and the fact of the matter it is because of the vision and quality control.  WB with the DCEU went with movies that are a mess. I liked 300 and to a lessor extent Watchment, but his vision of the DCEU is a murky, dark, bloody mess. Nothing visually appealing. BvS and Suicide Squad were just plain ugly to look at (Except Margot) the sound design was a mess, the music was uninspiring.  It wasnt the idea of DC comics its what was done with them. It wasnt any sort of fatigue.  

TLJ hasnt had the blowout week from public WOM. Its weird because private WOM I havent seen the same reaction. Saw it again last night and the theater loved it. That of course is group reaction. When I talk to my family, friends and co-workers no one disliked it. No one can make me believe when I read an article that complains about not getting the back story on the color of C3PO arm in TFA not getting answered in TLJ that there isnt a group of people that want to find something to complain about.

I think you guys should realize a more complex film will garner a more complex reaction? 

Is it how they liked TFA and it was just all great or is it they liked TLJ but they did not X,Y,Z? This is what I have found with the film as a lot of my friends have talked about they liked the film but had issues with certain characters or certain plot twists. 

I think that is something people do not understand and think any kind of mixed WOM has to be some neckbeard going crazy. 

24 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

People supposedly liked TFA much more than TPM tho

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Speaking of enjoying, I don't think TLJ will drop 50%+ today...I think it's still a higher-than-normal Sunday drop, but morning strength around me is probably gonna play out everywhere, and the drop in total showings for the day, while slightly bigger than a normal Sunday, doesn't seem like enough to make that kinda drop happen...

Yes, I know matinees are cheaper, so morning strength is not as valuable as evening strength, but TLJ also hasn't done well late night, so you lose the least filled shows anyway...

So, if the $29M holds, those looking for $70M (or a little more) this weekend might be really happy on Monday:) (IMHO, as always)...

I agree. I think a drop of ~40% is more like it to 17m IMO (I know, most films dropped 50% in 2006). 

Matinees are strong in the LA and NY areas, two areas I've tracked attendance the last 3 years. I was a little surprised that some theaters are keeping their 10-11pm showings. In LA, about 2/3 of the theaters I track are keeping those while others are shutting the doors after 8pm showings. In NY, about half are doing this.  I saw very few with with showings after midnight, but as you stated wasn't TLJ's strong suit.

We'll see