grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

10 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Lower than Avatar already in the second weekend.

Do you honestly think that TLJ would have still done worse than Avatar if this Christmas was on Friday?

Question for other forum people. Surely this can have better legs to make up for the bad holiday placements, right? Even with drops like this, there's nothing stopping it from legging out to 4x. I don't think it will go that high, just using it as a example. 

20 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think the big drops for TLJ are far less important in terms of what it means for IX.  Disney is already bringing back Abrams, so there's really nothing they need to course-correct on there.  He's likely going to deliver exactly the film they want.

But the fact that they just announced they're going to hand Rian Johnson a billion dollars to make a new trilogy meant to kick off a new corner of the franchise, one not dependent on nostalgia for or links to the OT, makes it a much more fascinating conversation.

I'm sure when they made that decision, it was with the assurance they were about to release a film that both critics and audiences were going to go insane for. 

These drops suggest that the latter might not necessarily be the case to the overwhelming degree they were expecting.  So, do they alter their plans in any way?  

I honestly don't think that boxoffice performance thus far is below their expectations. They were counting on some TFA viewers not returning, the weird calendar for the holiday season and controversy over some creative choices (that they approved knowing the risk). Rian's new trilogy is safe.  Everything proceeds as they have foreseen. 

Edited by Valonqar

17 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

These drops suggest that the latter might not necessarily be the case to the overwhelming degree they were expecting.  So, do they alter their plans in any way?  

I don't think there is any plan except more Star Wars movies. The announcement of a new trilogy with no premise was always a bit weird. Given how Disney has treated their SW directors, it is unlikely Johnson will remain in control (or even involved) for all three anyway.

Edited by MrGlass2

12 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

think Christmas day is going to be enormous this year. I wouldn't be surprised if both Star Wars and Jumanji have increases north of 125%.

Possible. I am curious to see how the 2017 gigantic Discount Tuesday effect comes into play for 25th and 26th. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

Massive dive for Last Jedi. Yes I’m aware Sunday is Christmas Eve: but Friday was Down nearly 80%.

Although it doesn’t get the record for biggest second weekend drop of 2017.

It’s the second-biggest second weekend drop of 2017. 

Crap weekend apart from Jumanji and 4 of the award films (the 4 that increased). 

Showman is a bust on every level. They didn't know what to do with it once they figured out it was not an awards player yet kept it in the awards season. Should have taken a cue from Gatsby which moved to May as a counter-programming to IM3 and was a huge hit in that slot. 

Also, why was marketing so focused on Zac and Zendaya lately? Hugh is by far bigger draw than either of them. Zac can't open and Zendaya is just a TV star, wasn't exactly a breakout from Homecoming to pin boxoffice hopes on her. Also, girls were going to see PP3 or TLJ.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Damn it is going to a low-rated Oscar broadcast this year...

Unless they throw a few nominations to Wonder Woman. :redcapes:

Dunkirkf and Get Out are getting nominated

Edited by DARth DAR
  • Thanks 1

Get Out, The Post, and Dunkirk gonna be a very very high grossing top three for the Oscars, but keep sticking it to the snowflakes SJWs or the pretentious critics or the liberals or whatever the dumbass anti-Oscar narrative is this year.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

I think we’re gonna see some glorious recovery this coming week - Pitch Perfect 3 was naturally a bit frontloaded, but I can see something like this:

The Last Jedi - 66m

Jumanji - 35m

Pitch Perfect 3 - 17m

Greatest Showman - 11m

Ferdinand - 10.3m

Coco - 7.5m

All The Money in The World - 6.7m

Downsizing - 6m

Darkest Hour - 5.4m

The Shape of Water - 3.9m

I'd think Jumanji will perform slightly stronger than that. Its WOM has steadily grown over the last week and most everyone who wants to see TLJ will have seen it by 12/26, so that leaves room for Jumanji to grow and become a surprise blockbuster hit like NatM. 

$38 million/$51 million is my guess ($159 million DOM by 1/1) 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Get Out, The Post, and Dunkirk gonna be a very very high grossing top three for the Oscars, but keep sticking it to the snowflakes SJWs or the pretentious critics or the liberals or whatever the dumbass anti-Oscar narrative is this year.

People don't go to the movies unless it's for the blockbusters, remember?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just wait for the "Dunkirk is insufficiently anti-Nazi" narrative by never indicating who the enemy forces are.