CJohn

CJOHN'S TOP 10 BEST MOVIES OF 2017 | Based on the Portuguese Release Schedule

It begins, fam.

maxresdefault.jpg

It is that time of the year when I decide to reveal my top 10 favorite movies. There will be unexpected and tragic twists that will shock everyone. The party begins later tonight while I watch BRIGHT.

2017 was a great year, filled with fantastic Oscar material plus some great blockbusters. It was also a memorable year for horror movies which we won't forget any time soon. I would like to leave here some honorable mentions. These are fantastic movies that didn't quite make my top 10 but were very close:

OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL (Blu-Ray Release Date: August 3)

giphy.gif

ANNABELLE: CREATION (Release Date: August 10)

tumblr_oruses9vu41rp0vkjo1_500.gif

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2 (Release Date: February 23)

tumblr_oorp07IV1r1w8p7s7o1_500.gif

MOONLIGHT (Release Date: February 2)

source.gif

THE LOST CITY OF Z (Release Date: May 4)

the-lost-city-of-z_gif2.gif?w=500

FREE FIRE (Unique Screening on a Local Festival on May 5)

giphy.gif

BABY DRIVER (Release Date: August 3)

tumblr_ophu0remsh1w4o831o1_540.gif?w=100

ONLY THE BRAVE (Release Date: November 23)

tenor.gif?itemid=10022928

Now... lets get this party started, shall we?

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

10TH PLACE

Spoiler

THE NOT FUNNY BOOK TRASH

wonder-woman-movie-first-twitter-reactio

Wonder Woman (Release Date: June 1)

Logan-gif-run.gif

Logan (Release Date: March 2)

The saviors of the species showed up from DC and FOX. DC that is sinking fast and FOX that was bought by Disney. The future doesn't look good, but before Disney rules the world, we got a super-hero movie with heart that doesn't seem to be artificially created to sell toys and appeal to kids with fluffy colors and jokes. We also got an adult super-hero movie that felt like the end of an era, with actual stakes and driven by the strength of his characters rather than a bunch of colorful setpieces. Woman Woman and Logan share the 10th spot of my top 10.

• Like 11
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Alli said:

Woman Woman >Logan  imo.  WW was more enjoyable. Logan tried too hard to be different and the 3rd act is not good.

20 minutes ago, Alli said:

Thank god Baby driver didn't make your top 10. That movie was lame

You're making some mighty bad posts in this thread

• Haha 1

9TH PLACE

Spoiler

WIND RIVER

Wind-River-gif.gif

Release Date: August 17

Wind River was the follow-up from Taylor Sheridan after the amazing Hell or High Water, and he didn't disappoint. Wind River is the type of moody adult thriller that is on the verge of extinction, which is a damn shame. Jeremy Renner leads a fantastic cast with some top-notch acting in a chilling scenery in the middle of the snow and there are some really amazing shots of the mountains and lets not forget how well directed was the fantastic shooting between multiple characters near the end. The score also helps setting up the mood for what is one of this year's best movies.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

9TH PLACE

Hide contents

WIND RIVER

Wind-River-gif.gif

Release Date: August 17

Wind River was the follow-up from Taylor Sheridan after the amazing Hell or High Water, and he didn't disappoint. Wind River is the type of moody adult thriller that is on the verge of extinction, which is a damn shame. Jeremy Renner leads a fantastic cast with some top-notch acting in a chilling scenery in the middle of the snow and there are some really amazing shots of the mountains and lets not forget how well directed was the fantastic shooting between multiple characters near the end. The score also helps setting up the mood for what is one of this year's best movies.

Given your praise, I'll see Wind River before I do my list/awards next week.

Nice Wonder Woman and Logan take, I agree they're very close in quality and the two best superhero flicks of the year.

• Like 1

8TH PLACE

Spoiler

LA LA LAND

source.gif

Release Date: January 26

La La Land is a magical experience. I felt in heaven while watching in theaters back in early 2017. The musical numbers are fabulous, and Damien Chazelle surely deserves the best director Oscar he received for the fantastic visuals and complex musical numbers. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone both give tremendous lead performances. I fell in love with their love story, with all their ups and downs, and they both found happiness in the end, even if separated from each other, because unfortunately life almost never goes as planned.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

8TH PLACE

Reveal hidden contents

Oh shit....

So low

7TH PLACE

Spoiler

LIFE

tumblr_ofw32zDdV41uq2u9po1_540.gif

Release Date: March 23

Released on the same day as one of the most incompetent and awful movies ever made came Life, a sci-fi horror movie that left me shook. Jake Gyllenhaal gave a fantastic lead performance in the middle of a tremendous cast. Even Ryan Reynolds with his small role was really good. The story keeps getting more and more intense and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, until it peaks for the shocking final reveal. It helped that they really went out of their way to make the first attack/death of the alien something truly horrifying that put the stakes really high for the characters on board of the ship. Probably the biggest surprise of the year to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 7

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

7TH PLACE

Hide contents

LIFE

tumblr_ofw32zDdV41uq2u9po1_540.gif

Release Date: March 23

Released on the same day as one of the most incompetent and awful movies ever made came Life, a sci-fi horror movie that left me shook. Jake Gyllenhaal gave a fantastic lead performance in the middle of a tremendous cast. Even Ryan Reynolds with his small role was really good. The story keeps getting more and more intense and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, until it peaks for the shocking final reveal. It helped that they really went out of their way to make the first attack/death of the alien something truly horrifying that put the stakes really high for the characters on board of the ship. Probably the biggest surprise of the year to me.

interesting....

6TH PLACE

Spoiler

GET OUT

rkxwv.gif

Release Date: May 4

The must see comedy event of the year was, without a doubt, Get Out. Daniel Kaluuya gives us a laugh out loud performance while he sinks into the sunken place where the laughs become even bigger. I was in stitches by the time they were trying to switch the soul of the blind guy into Kaluuya. Also, lets not forget the breakout performance of Allison Williams as the cute girlfriend. A comedy for the ages that will probably win Best Movie at the Oscars as well.

• Like 10
  • ...wtf 1