Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

Here's a quote from Sir Ridley that applies very much to the box office: http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

Yeah. Fincher’s a bit like me, very anal, compulsive. But he’s very good, and that proves that audiences want good. They don’t want shit; they want good.

Also lol'd at this:

You’ve watched other people take over franchises you’ve made. How often are you asked to do that? Has Kathleen Kennedy offered you a Star Wars movie?
No, no. I’m too dangerous for that.

Why is that?
Because I know what I’m doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s fuckin’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?

He brings up good points in the entire interview. Apparently Fox also tried getting him for Bohemian Rhapsody after Singer got fired :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

That would be pretty awesome to see, particularly since the highest foreign grosser in China right now doesn't even crack the $400M threshold.

I don't follow China super closely, but don't foreign films only have about a month in the theaters?

Coco opened on 11/24/17 and got a extension to 1/23/18 so Avatar will most likely get a extension too imo.

• Like 1

can't believe some people are actually having a hard time understanding this star wars stuff. 

Yes the final gross is going to be excellent no matter what it is. Yes many of us had it finishing at around 700 million. And that's probably where it's going to land. But that's not the issue. The issue here is that it opened at 220 and is in Jeopardy of having less than three multiplier. That is unheard of in the month of December for a Christmas release. That's what people are focusing on, not the total.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

can't believe some people are actually having a hard time understanding this star wars stuff. 

Yes the final gross is going to be excellent no matter what it is. Yes many of us had it finishing at around 700 million. And that's probably where it's going to land. But that's not the issue. The issue here is that it opened at 220 and is in Jeopardy of having less than three multiplier. That is unheard of in the month of December for a Christmas release. That's what people are focusing on, not the total.

I would argue the total is more important.

• Like 3

Just now, mikee11 said:

rogue One had 30% two days after Christmas day, this has generally weaker legs + discounted tuesday so drop should be bigger, is this making sense?  

if it drops less than 40% i will delete my account

Too bad you can't delete your account! :hahaha:

13 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

That would be pretty awesome to see, particularly since the highest foreign grosser in China right now doesn't even crack the $400M threshold.

I don't follow China super closely, but don't foreign films only have about a month in the theaters?

China has been more generous to foreign films in recent years. A handful of them have gotten extensions if demand is there. Off the top of my head, Zootopia, Fate of the Furious, Dangal, and Coco have gotten an additional month.

17 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Jim'll get an extension on goodwill alone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I would argue the total is more important.

Maybe it is more important. But that doesn't mean we're not going to discuss the finer details on a box office forum. I just don't understand the need to defend the integrity of TLJ's numbers for some here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Greatest Rth said:

Mon/Sun, Tues/Mon

TLJ

USA        +62%, -2%

Canada    +12%, +50%

Jum

USA        +116%, -13%

Canada    +53%, +36%

PP3

USA        +154%, +11%

Canada    +47%, +103%

Way to throw us for a loop.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Maybe it is more important. But that doesn't mean we're not going to discuss the finer details on a box office forum. I just don't understand the need to defend the integrity of TLJ's numbers for some here.

you can discuss it, I was just giving my opinion.

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I just think sometimes some folks draw the wrong conclusions, is all.  Take CA:CW. For whatever reason it didn't get the legs some folks thought it should.

Is it because the audience didn't care? Is it because the audience thought it was al light but didn't convince their friends to see it? Or is it more of a case that the folks who REALLY wanted to see it saw it early and other folks waited to home video no matter how many good things they heard.

That's why while I think multiplier is important, I don't think it is the end-all, be-all.  And I also think getting more data now is good.

None of this is to say that I'll be defending vigorously a 3x multi for TLJ if it happens.  At the same time I honestly wonder what the hell the difference is between a say, 220/670 and a 205/655.  Maybe some folks here think one is better than the other, but I just have trouble seeing it.

Call it a personal hangup, if you will. :)