Rthmessiah

Wednesday Numbers(27/12/17):TLJ $22m

$22M is a monster number, not an "ok number." Anywhere above $20M is excellent. I know that people get hung up on nerdy box office stuff, but look, you post a $22M WEDNESDAY in your second week and theaters are packed. As I said, my theater sold out multiple 7 p.m. showings including an IMAX full of $20 tickets. 

You can nerd out over multiples all you want and that's just fantastic but the movie will make $400 million after opening weekend when all is said and done, and I suspect quite a bit higher than that as these numbers prove it has a very good chance to sink Titanic (again). There are only 27 other movies in history that have made $400 million total, let alone after the 2nd biggest opening weekend in history. We can all dick around with nerdy multiples all we want, but a 6x multiple off a $10M opening weekend is still a piece of shit. It's still an amount of money so pathetic that TLJ nearly doubled that on opening day alone. It just has made me shake my head and laugh a bit, in a "not seeing the forest for the trees" kind of way. But yeah let's just yawn our way through one of the biggest box office runs ever, because "legs lol." Alright. 

In real news, TLJ is on course to have difficulty finishing worse than 3rd on the all time best third weekend charts. So while it only ranked 13th on second weekends, despite an unfavorable calendar also impeding its third weekend, it should easily take 3rd best on the all time chart for its third weekend. THAT is real. And it is impressive. 

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

Speaking of Justice Flop, just to put things into perspective, TLJ made more money on a random Wednesday than JL made in its 3rd weekend, by far actually. Or how about just a little bit under what Guardians of the Galaxy 1 made on its third weekend, there's a big hit everyone remembers fondly. Or more than Civil War in its 4-day holiday fourth weekend, for instance. So I dunno, to me, $22M would be a little more than an "ok" figure, I guess, for a Wednesday.

$22M on a 2nd Wednesday is actually better than any movie in history has ever done, except for The Force Awakens, the box office champ. So yeah, I guess for me, probably "ok" is not the word I'd personally use to describe the 2nd best non-opening week Wednesday of all time.  

PS: All of the above still applies if TLJ's actual was $20M, so that's kind of the point, it's a good number no matter the actual. 

• Like 4

By the end of the second Wednesday,

TLJ $445m 

TFA $629m

and on the Wednesday,

TLJ $22m

TFA $28m

TFA ended up with $937m

((22/28) * (937-629)) + 445 = 687

So if TLJ follows the same drops as TFA it will make $687m

Don't think 700m is possible now.

Also the legs haven't been as good as TFA so far so don't see why they would follow TFA now.

$610m my prediction.

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

except for The Force Awakens, the box office champ.

Please don't use confusing language you'll lead new users astray.

Avatar is the box office champion of the world, TFA is a regional champion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Speaking of Justice Flop, just to put things into perspective, TLJ made more money on a random Wednesday than JL made in its 3rd weekend, by far actually. Or how about just a little bit under what Guardians of the Galaxy 1 made on its third weekend, there's a big hit everyone remembers fondly. Or more than Civil War in its 4-day holiday fourth weekend, for instance. So I dunno, to me, $22M would be a little more than an "ok" figure, I guess, for a Wednesday.

$22M on a 2nd Wednesday is actually better than any movie in history has ever done, except for The Force Awakens, the box office champ. So yeah, I guess for me, probably "ok" is not the word I'd personally use to describe the 2nd best non-opening week Wednesday of all time.  

PS: All of the above still applies if TLJ's actual was $20M, so that's kind of the point, it's a good number no matter the actual. 

Ill admit, i laughed. Its true as well.

I understand your point of view, of course, nearly all the numbers that have been posted by The Last Jedi are objectively mindblowing. Its just that many here had higher hopes for its holds and eventual DOM total.  

32 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

But if we are talking about dom #s, the statement is "box office champion" is pretty right. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

$22M is a monster number, not an "ok number." Anywhere above $20M is excellent. I know that people get hung up on nerdy box office stuff, but look, you post a $22M WEDNESDAY in your second week and theaters are packed. As I said, my theater sold out multiple 7 p.m. showings including an IMAX full of $20 tickets. 

You can nerd out over multiples all you want and that's just fantastic but the movie will make $400 million after opening weekend when all is said and done, and I suspect quite a bit higher than that as these numbers prove it has a very good chance to sink Titanic (again). There are only 27 other movies in history that have made $400 million total, let alone after the 2nd biggest opening weekend in history. We can all dick around with nerdy multiples all we want, but a 6x multiple off a $10M opening weekend is still a piece of shit. It's still an amount of money so pathetic that TLJ nearly doubled that on opening day alone. It just has made me shake my head and laugh a bit, in a "not seeing the forest for the trees" kind of way. But yeah let's just yawn our way through one of the biggest box office runs ever, because "legs lol." Alright. 

In real news, TLJ is on course to have difficulty finishing worse than 3rd on the all time best third weekend charts. So while it only ranked 13th on second weekends, despite an unfavorable calendar also impeding its third weekend, it should easily take 3rd best on the all time chart for its third weekend. THAT is real. And it is impressive. 

Those numbers are amazing, the problem is just most including me expected a bit better numbers.

Yep, what I especially think is funny is, that TLJ had just the 13rd highest second weekend, but will have the second highest second week, actually the same happened with Rogue one.

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

We're talking about a domestic number here. The term "Box office champ" for TFA makes more than just a lot of sense.

Remember, TFA CRUSHED Titanic and Avatar in the US ;)

• Like 2