The Panda

The Bamboo Awards: BORN IN CHINA WINS IT ALL!

Oh oops, I just got a telephone call from some Panda's and they told me it's an ethical violation to give an award to your own movie, especially if that award is a Bamboo Stick.  Better think of something else to put as number 1 real quick.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

Oh oops, I just got a telephone call from some Panda's and they told me it's an ethical violation to give an award to your own movie, especially if that award is a Bamboo Stick.  Better think of something else to put as number 1 real quick.

mother!

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Well I had my corny trolling fun, here's my real #1

Best Picture Winner

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

the-last-jedi-theatrical-blog.jpg

"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."

My Grade: A+

Most Valuable Player: The Whole Movie

Box Office: 483.8m+

Tomatometer: 91%

Critic Opinion: "I have this on good authority: That 6-year-old daughter, now in her early 20s, who sat beside me in the screening and, to no one’s greater shock than her own, found herself in tears. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is a thrill ride and a great good time, but it’s also about finding inspiration among the embattled and the principled, no matter how outnumbered they or we may feel.  In short, it feels like a new hope." - Ty Burr, The Boston Globe

"It’s a lot of story for even 150 minutes, which never felt long to me. The details are exquisite. A battle in a desert layered with crimson-colored salt is a visually arresting (and PG-13) nod to the bloody reality of warfare; countless emotional reunions and reveals had me reaching for the Kleenex.  Sure, it’s just a space Western, but “Star Wars” is one of our most popular modern mythologies. Johnson respects that. He’s infused the storyline with new energy and artistry, and I can’t wait to see it again." - Sara Stewart, New York Post

"It's epic, exhilarating, endlessly entertaining and easily the best of this new wave of Star Wars movies. Writer/director Rian Johnson has made such a freaking good film that the return of hotshot director JJ Abrams to helm the next one that finishes off this new trilogy feels like a bad move and a step backwards." - Karl Puschmann, The New Zealand Herald

User Opinion: "I give Johnson (and Disney) mad props for having the balls to deconstruct the mythology and bring a fresh spin on things. I love the movie, it isn't perfect, but it is bold." - @The Stingray

"Re-watch Empire.  I did and moved TLJ past it." - @The Last AndyLL

"Just got back from my second viewing of TLJ and it really is an excellent film.  A couple of flaws here and there, but overall it's a very well made film that is dense and tightly plotted.  I liked it even more than when I saw it the first time.  Probably the third or fourth best of all of the SW films, in a virtual tie with R1 and just a tick behind ANH/RotJ.  So when I say, 3rd or 4th best, I am not damning with faint praise.  It really is an excellent film for me." - @Porthos

"Finally it accomplished three things.  I want to watch it again.  I can’t wait for Episode IX.  And give Rian Johnson as much money as you want Disney " - @DAR

Reasoning: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE!  Yeah, I am a Star Wars fanboy, but I also didn't rank RO or TFA as my number one of the year when those movies came out.  Beyond that, I also think this just might be my favorite Star Wars movie (and Empire Strikes Back constantly rotates around my number 8-20 all time).  Polarizing?  When I heard that, I was expecting issues, and I honestly come away with really no complaints about it (even if others see it).  I loved the entire movie, Canto Bight and all, it expands on the Star Wars lore, it dares to do something truly thematic with its source material and not just pander to fan service, it inspires hope in the face of defeat.  Mark Hamill gives the best performance of his career in this film, and I am firm on my decision to say he gave my favorite performance of the year.  I loved the idea of a man seen as a legend, who fails and ultimately redeems himself in an Unforgiven style arc at the end in a grand Western style show-down (with a fantastic plot twist).  Beyond that, there is so much detail in everything in this movie, you see a purpose for each piece and it only gets better upon re-watch and review.  John Williams gives, just maybe, his best Star Wars score to date, it's phenomenal and crescendos at all of the right moments.  There's visual shots in this film that you just can't get out of your head, there were at least three where my gut dropped.  I hope Disney doesn't back down on giving Johnson his own trilogy, because this man deserves it after this mass of a movie.  Star Wars: The Last Jedi is everything I want in a movie.

star-wars-the-last-jedi-trailer-breakdow

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 1

For taking the time to do this list:

giphy.gif

And for mentioning me in your last review:

giphy.gif

And, finally, let's not forget the REAL reason TLJ was the number one movie for @The Last Panda:

star-wars-episode-viii-space-bear-indust

Sheer, and unaldulterated nepotism.

I approve. :sparta:

===

As always, thank you for taking out the time to make this very thoughtful list! RebWGyw.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, for those interested this was my full ranking of everything this year (I ended up catching Jumanji yesterday, funny film but wouldn't have made the list)

Spoiler

1.    Star Wars: The Last Jedi

2.    Blade Runner 2049

3.    Get Out

4.    Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

5.    Lady Bird

6.    Dunkirk

7.    The Big Sick

8.    Logan

9.    Wind River

10.  Wonder Woman

11.  A Ghost Story

12.  Coco

13.  IT

14.  Okja

15.  War for the Planet of the Apes

16.  The Shape of Water

17.  Baby Driver

18.  The Disaster Artist

19.  Darkest Hour

20.  Mudbound

21.  All the Money in the World

22.  Wonder

23.  Detroit

24.  Thor: Ragnarok

25.  Raw

26.  First They Killed My Father

27. Good Time

28.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

29.  Logan Lucky

30.  It Comes at Night

31.  Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

32.  Split

33.  Megan Leavey

34.  The Lost City of Z

35.  The LEGO Batman Movie

36.  Gerald's Game

37.  John Wick: Chapter 2

38. Marjorie Prime

39.  Beauty and the Beast

40.  Spider-Man: Homecoming

41.  Kong: Skull Island

42.  The Case for Christ

43.  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

44.  Alien: Covenant

45.  Annabelle: Creation

46.  The Wall

47.  Murder on the Orient Express

48.  Kingsman: The Golden Circle

49.  The Fate of the Furious

50.  Life

51.  The Hitman's Bodyguard

52.  Free Fire

53.  Gifted

54.  Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

55.  A Dog's Purpose

56.  Despicable Me 3

57.  Ghost in the Shell

58.  The Great Wall

59.  mother!

60.  The Zookeeper's Wife

61.  Justice League

62.  The Shack

63.  Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Longhaul

64.  The Mummy

65.  47 Meters Down

66.  Before I Fall

67.  Baywatch

68. Bright

69.  Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

70.  The House

71.  Monster Trucks

72.  The Dark Tower

73.  King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

74.  Transformers: The Last Knight

75.  The Emoji Movie

76.  All Eyez on Me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Last Panda said:

I should come up with a better name for this thing

Honorary Bamboo Stick for Achievement in Something That Wasn't Film

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg

"Your inventory is full."

My Grade: A+

MetaCritic Score: 97

Synopsis: Forget everything you know about The Legend of Zelda games. Step into a world of discovery, exploration and adventure in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a boundary-breaking new game in the acclaimed series. Travel across fields, through forests and to mountain peaks as you discover what has become of the ruined kingdom of Hyrule in this open-air adventure. Explore the wilds of Hyrule any way you like.

Critic Opinion: "It’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a return to the land of Hyrule that’s unlike any of the brilliant Zelda titles that’s come before. This isn’t a game about gimmicks or unique gaming conventions; it’s just simply a fantastic story placed in one of the most complete open worlds you’ll ever play. Every single gameplay mechanic dovetails flawlessly in Breath of the Wild, and the resulting game could easily still have secrets 100 hours into its action."

User Opinion: "I feel Breath of the Wild has all the foundations needed to be the best Zelda (and best game ever) but it's not 100% Ocarina of Time-level. It's the best the series've been in a long time though. I'll be very interested in seeing what the story DLC brings." - @cookie

Reasoning: Okay, now I'm not a really big video game guy, I'll play a couple every year or so (plus some of the party/co-op games with my friends) and even then I rarely finish them, nevertheless completely finish a 100+ hour game.  It's such an investment, but I actually did it for this game.  It was spectacular.  Everything was so finely tuned, the story was engaging (for a Nintendo game at least), it was creative and travelling any around an open world with so much attention to nature was spectacular.  Now, if there's any game franchise I am a fanboy of, it's the Zelda franchise (and maybe the Pokemon one too), so high praise sounds like it should be obvious from me.  However, this is up there with Ocarina of Time as one of the greatest games ever made.  I'll just leave it at that because I am much better at talking about movies, and if y'all care about anything on this list it's not this but it's my picks for numbers 1 and 2 of the year.

secret-ending-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-s

BOTW is so damn good. Third favorite game this year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Last Panda said:

I should come up with a better name for this thing

Honorary Bamboo Stick for Achievement in Something That Wasn't Film

Sorry Oreo Bear but there was only one correct answer to this award

Spoiler

• Like 1