grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

http://deadline.com/2017/12/last-jedi-jumanji-new-years-weekend-box-office-2018-1202233711/

Industry estimates as of midday:

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi(DIS), 4,232 theaters (0)/ $19M Fri/ 3-day: $54.5M /4-day: $72M Total:$536.6M/ Wk 3
  2. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle  (SONY), 3,765 theaters (0) / $16M Fri/3-day: $46M/4-day: $60M/Total:$179.2M/ Wk 2
  3. Pitch Perfect 3  (UNI), 3,468 theaters (+21)/ $6.5M Fri/3-day: $18M/4-day: $23M/Total: $69.5M/ Wk 2
  4. The Greatest Showman  (FOX), 3,316 theaters (+310) / $4.5M Fri /3-day: $13.6M/4-day $18M/Total: $51.5M/Wk 2
  5. Ferdinand  (FOX), 3,337 theaters (-293) / $4M Fri /3-day: $10.5M/4-day: $13.7M/Total: $55.8M/ Wk 3
  • Like 2

What? A drop on Friday for TLJ? No that's not happening. I wonder if Deadline is purposely doing this to manufacture positive headlines (maybe pushed by Disney/Lucasfilm) amid all the backlash and negativity.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Here's the thing on Jumanji...it's a CROWD-PLEASER for the 5 to 70 set.  So, my mom calls me yesterday (when we were visiting) and says "what do you think about going to a movie?  I think everyone, adults and kids, would like Jumanji?"  I'm like, sure Mom...and sure enough, SIXTEEN tickets later, with 1 senior, 6 adults, and 9 kids/teens, we all trek into the theater from the icy wilderness...and EVERYONE liked it.  Now, my spouse and I gave it a solid B (B+ if we're feeling generous) up to A+s for many of the kids/teens.  But here's the thing - everyone was happily talking about it, everyone was talking about their favorite parts, and everyone felt like they got their money's worth.  (And for the record, my brothers both said that it was better than TLJ...take that for what it's worth)...

I have a theory about Christmas movies...happy is great, sad is fine, but divisive is devastating, b/c who wants one more thing to fight with their family about during the season?  I know my mom would have suggested TLJ if not for hearing about the feedback (since our whole family are uber-fans)...although not giving Ferdinand a 2nd glance probably also explains why Ferd is just trudging through the season...

PS - Jack Black steals the movie - can't remembers a performance he gave that I liked so much...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What? A drop on Friday for TLJ? No that's not happening. I wonder if Deadline is purposely doing this to manufacture positive headlines (maybe pushed by Disney/Lucasfilm) amid all the backlash and negativity.

@Lordmandeep caught hell earier today for saying $60m 3-day. That would be a pretty solid result regardless, but it looks a hell of a lot better compared to a $55m projection.