grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Issue is movies are costing more to make and cinemas are only getting money by charging each person a lot more moeny.

It will work for small indie films or big blockbusters. 

Theaters are moving to a more premium centric style of moviegoing.  It seems they’ve accepted that people are going to theaters less and compensating by making the process both nicer and more expensive.

The new recliner, reserved system reduces capacity of seats per screen.  There’s also an expansion of more expensive IMAX screens.  You also have a lot of theaters adapting into a dine-in kind of theater, which is an additional premium that can make theaters more expensive.

It’s hard to compare this new model to 2010 when it comes to total admissions, especially since this new model is designed for lower attendance but higher costs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

Theaters are moving to a more premium centric style of moviegoing.  It seems they’ve accepted that people are going to theaters less and compensating by making the process both nicer and more expensive.

The new recliner, reserved system reduces capacity of seats per screen.  There’s also an expansion of more expensive IMAX screens.  You also have a lot of theaters adapting into a dine-in kind of theater, which is an additional premium that can make theaters more expensive.

It’s hard to compare this new model to 2010 when it comes to total admissions, especially since this new model is designed for lower attendance but higher costs.

Yeah, my theater is installing luxury lounger chairs and the auditoriums are at half the capacity they were before. "Quality over quantity" is what chains are focused on these days.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, my theater is installing luxury lounger chairs and the auditoriums are at half the capacity they were before. "Quality over quantity" is what chains are focused on these days.

It’s a smart strategy.  For all of the talks of a booming economy, most peoples wages aren’t rising all that much, and some of the low unemployment has a lot to do with a lowered Labor force participation rate.  Many Western economies are in an era of stagnation which is going to hurt consumption overall.

Add that to new, cheap entertainment alternatives with Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc. if you want to attract consumers to spend money you have to offer something to make it worth it. Luxurizing cinema may send mid-budget tier movies to streaming services but it may just save the theater industry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

So let me get this straight, TLJ is disliked more than the Ghostbusters reboot according the RT Audience score:

ktf.gif

Sounds legit.

The average user score is 3.1/5 which translates to a 6,2/10. The critic tomatometer is 91% but the average critic is 8.1/10.

Not a big difference between 6.2 and 8.1. Less than 2 points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood47 said:

The King is dead. Long live the King. I think people clearly have a choice in the fantasy genre right now and Jumanji has captured people's attention. WOM seems to say that people are having a surprisingly good time seeing this film, which is in stark contrast to Jedi. Lets be honest. Jedi was going to benefit off TFA in a big way no matter what they released.  You don't become the biggest grossing film of all time and not pass on that good will to the next. 

The holidays allowed everyone to get in and see the sequel and its fairly obvious this film has had a polarizing effect on many. TLJ is a success and will go down as such. But its legacy and how this all shakes out down the road will be interesting to watch. Solo comes out in only six months, then Deadpool 2 comes in the week after. What will the effect of this film plus the nonstop saturation of these movies have to audiences? That will be interesting to watch. 

It's legacy? Come on bud. SW cemented its legacy in 1983.

Yes this is an under performance. But out of 9 films its still bringing in 600+ million. The legacy will be fine. And E9 will be fine as well. Youre being a bit hyperbolic.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The average user score is 3.1/5 which translates to a 6,2/10. The critic tomatometer is 91% but the average critic is 8.1/10.

Not a big difference between 6.2 and 8.1. Less than 2 points. 

Almost 2 points is supposed to be "not a big difference"?

Seriously?

There are worlds between those two numbers. As a comparison, AOTC sits 2 points behind the original Star Wars at IMDb, 6.6 to 8.6.

edit:

ha, just noticed that It's a wonderful Life and Life is beautiful are right behind each other in the imdb top 250 list. It's funny when you have it listed by their German titles, because than the former is called "Ist das Leben nicht schön?" while the latter is called "Das Leben ist schön". Which translated back into English means that the former is asking "Isn't Life beautiful?" with the other answering "Life is beautiful" :D

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Yes this is an under performance. But out of 9 films its still bringing in 600+ million. The legacy will be fine. And E9 will be fine as well. Youre being a bit hyperbolic.

I think it did that already in 1977. There is a movieworld before ANH came out and after ANH came out.

Kinda like Jaws, Jurassic Park, Titanic or The Dark Knight: Some movies just become instantly part of popular culture and influence the film industry to this day.

Hyperbole is the word i would use when describing some of the users reactions here generally to The Last Jedi :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Yeah, I do personally think there were a few factors that are stopping TLJ from doing as well as it could, but its numbers are still massive.  There’s no way Disney could be upset about a 600m+ grosser.  

People aren’t comprehending just how large that gross is.  No other franchise has more than 1 500m grosser, Star Wars has 3.

Edited by New Year New Panda
  • Like 4

Just now, New Year New Panda said:

Yeah, I do personally think there were a few factors that are stopping TLJ from doing as well as it could, but its numbers are still massive.  There’s no way Disney could be upset about a 600m+ grosser.  

People aren’t comprehending just how large that gross is.  No other franchise have more than 1 500m grosser, Star Wars has 3.

It gets even crazier when you adjust for inflation. Then SW has 5 700M+ grossers, alongside 1 600M grosser (TLJ), 2 500M grossers (RO and ROTS) and 1 measly 460M+ grosser (AOTC).

That is baffling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

It gets even crazier when you adjust for inflation. Then SW has 5 700M+ grossers, alongside 1 600M grosser (TLJ), 2 500M grossers (RO and ROTS) and 1 measly 460M+ grosser (AOTC).

That is baffling.

This is also why I’m really skeptical at some people thinking Solo will do in the high 200m to low 300m range.  AOTC, the franchise low, would still be AoU levels (at least) with premium theaters.  

Disneys been really strong at quality control (even if it arguably prevents some great movies from being made and forces more decent ones).  I really doubt Solo will be all that bad, I actually think Howard probably has a good handle on it.  

I think the lowest Solo goes is the high 300m range, and I think it caps out around RO levels.  It was No 5 on fandango’s anticipation meter with no marketing material at all.  It’s certainly a contender for the biggest 2017 movie, depending on how JW, IW and I2 do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TLJ records:

First 600M+ grosser to flop

First 600M+ grosser to tarnish the legacy

First 600M+ grosser to _____[insert another completely rational, sensible, logical and not at all biased opinion]

:P

First 600M+ grosser to miss all the professional experts final box office projections by $150M+ AFTER the 2nd weekend grosses:)...that one does take talent:)...

Reminds me of the experts' total BO projections for BvS after the 1st weekend...although they did get real the 2nd weekend...took a lot longer on this movie...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TLJ records:

First 600M+ grosser to flop

First 600M+ grosser to tarnish the legacy

First 600M+ grosser to _____[insert another completely rational, sensible, logical and not at all biased opinion]

:P

Is there any other big successful  Christmas release that made less than three times opening weekend? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

This is also why I’m really skeptical at some people thinking Solo will do in the high 200m to low 300m range.  AOTC, the franchise low, would still be AoU levels (at least) with premium theaters.  

Disneys been really strong at quality control (even if it arguably prevents some great movies from being made and forces more decent ones).  I really doubt Solo will be all that bad, I actually think Howard probably has a good handle on it.  

I think the lowest Solo goes is the high 300m range, and I think it caps out around RO levels.  It was No 5 on fandango’s anticipation meter with no marketing material at all.  It’s certainly a contender for the biggest 2017 movie, depending on how JW, IW and I2 do.

Yeah, even though i myself have no intention in seeing it, i cant see it grossing under 300M in the US. Its SW. Domestically, nothing ever gets close to that title.

• Like 1

On the topic of recliners, I'm a bit surprised AMC hasn't renovated any of their theaters with them in the Orlando market. Out of the three they have, the Universal location is probably going to be the one to get them because Disney Springs is the fourth busiest theater in the country and the Altamonte Mall location is always packed. Whenever I'm at Universal, I don't see a whole lot of people entering the theater, ESPECIALLY compared to Disney. If they give it the renovation Hollywood got, it could draw in a lot more people:

Regal on the other hand has been a lot quicker at upgrading. They haven't upgraded Waterford Lakes because it's one of the busiest theaters in the country being close to UCF, but several other locations have gotten recliners.

9 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Is there any other big successful  Christmas release that made less than three times opening weekend? 

Dude. Yeah Only one of those other than TLJ made over $200M OW. The best of the rest other than R1 made less than $85 OW. Context matters . Don't post for the sake of posting.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, lab276 said:

I remember back in 2010, when we were all shocked at the terrible numbers being posted at the box office that year, especially compared with 2009. Well, we're now 100m tickets clear of 2010.

5JGhp9q.png

EmBhyga.png

And that's with US population increasing about 15-20 million since then.

Doesn't surprise me though. I don't know many young people (generation Z) who still go to the movies regularly. That's why studios are producing so many remakes and sequels and playing so much on the nostalgia factor.

When baby-boomers die, these numbers will drop like a rock. It's not going to be pretty.

Edited by Cynosure