grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

9 minutes ago, bamajagala said:

I didn't see a big difference in matinees, but my sample size is miniscule, so your probably right

Only thing I can come up with to explain weaker matinees is possibly some holiday travel and shopping. People got shit to do for New Year’s, just the same as last Friday/Saturday for Christmas. 

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I thought it was to do with the chairs for a second but it just means midday right?

Matinee is a word that I haven't heard used here in the UK...

Really? I hear it used all the time in the UK?!

especially in theatre land. Go see a show mid-week and if there’s an afternoon performance it will be called a matinee. 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

especially in theatre land. Go see a show mid-week and if there’s an afternoon performance it will be called a matinee. 

I mean I exclusively go to VUE, I just haven't heard that term before.

Just now, wildphantom said:

Yeah but that's in legitimate theatres that have legitimate theatrical productions, not cinemas that show blockbuster films. In an era of highly commercialized franchise-driven cinema, the use of the word "matinees" has always felt extremely out of place, at least to me.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1