grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

How is this an evidence? If a person deosn't chose a late night screening, it doesn't mean, he's not coming at all. He's going to another screening instead. 

He refuses to admit that WOM on TLJ is not great.

• Like 1

The internet is so mad they let an Asian lady do some winning in the Star Wars that they're gonna pretend the third biggest domestic movie ever that followed the EXACT same drop as AOTC and Empire is a major disappointment. A great and fitting way to end 2017.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

When I saw All the Money the other day some dude walked into the theatre for the last 20 minutes of the movie :lol:

when i saw the revenant a couple dudes sat in front of me as soon as the final hardy/leo fight started. when the credits started to roll one dude was all "huh, i think they let us in a little too early" like really the credits were what clued you in?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's a good movie but it's not the crowdpleaser that audiences keep coming back for, as evidenced by the numbers after its first weekend and the fact that Jumanji is about to overtake it.

TLJ is certainly more of a critic-pleaser than audience pleaser. Weird enough.

We live in a world where there can be movies that critics love but the audience hate...and movies that the audience love but critics hate. 🤔

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

@The Last Panda

Star Wars:
The Last Jedi

Domestic Total Est. Tickets: 54,172,700

Thats with only this Fridays numer included from thsi weekend. I know, i know, BOM tickets sold mechanic is more than just flawed, but it gives a genereally good idea.

A lot of people are seeing TLJ.

Yeah, it’s hard to have great legs when so many people have already seen the movie (and the fan base isn’t giving it as many repeat viewings as TFA).

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

The internet is so mad they let an Asian lady do some winning in the Star Wars that they're gonna pretend the third biggest domestic movie ever that followed the EXACT same drop as AOTC and Empire is a major disappointment. A great and fitting way to end 2017.

I dont get the Rose hate, i really dont. I thought she was fine, not as great as Rey, Luke or Kylo, but good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah I mean I'm kinda sitting here thinking this was the expected drop but whatever. people make their own narratives 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's a good movie but it's not the crowdpleaser that audiences keep coming back for, as evidenced by the numbers after its first weekend and the fact that Jumanji is about to overtake it.

And that‘s totally fine, I‘m sure time will change many peoples opinion of the movie, and if that doesn‘t happen, that’s okay as well. 

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Doesn't change the fact it's drops have been bad and keep going down instead of up 

What are normal drops for a 220m OW grossing sequel in December (factoring out TFA as an outlier, because it is one)?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think you speak too soon on that #3 spot. Very strong chance it will not reach JW’s 652, never mind Titanic’s 659. 

• Like 1

Just now, MinaTakla said:

AMAZING for Jumaji. It dethroned TLJ.

For now. Disney is expecting TLJ to stay flat on NYD, so the films could easily still switch places. Will be fun to see which one it is in the end though.

• Like 1

Looks like Jedi will struggle to pass $650m now, it's not really any doubt at this point that it has mixed word of mouth. Long runtime and competition are poor reasons as to why it holds up so badly, other movies has been longer and had more competition and still held far, far better. Still, it will have an amazing gross.

Jumanji doing great, surely has to be the box-office story of the year at this point.