grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No, you're missing the point.

There's a reason people value consensus.

Sure anyone with a butthole can say Catwoman is a great movie and The Godfather is horrible but a consensus is far more valuable when making that determination, outside of watching both movies and assessing them myself.

saying "TLJ is bad' is very different from your examples "catwoman is great" and "godfather is horrbile". you are reaching here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No, you're missing the point.

There's a reason people value consensus.

Sure anyone with a butthole can say Catwoman is a great movie and The Godfather is horrible but a consensus is far more valuable when making that determination, outside of watching both movies and assessing them myself.

There's no consensus that it's a great movie. The average mean on imdb is 7.2 and it's gonna drop even more, maybe even to prequel levels as it gets more votes. Rotten tomatoe score has hundred thousand votes, r/movies voted it 6.9/10 which is their 50th highest rated movie of the year behind king arthur .

This are mediocre movie numbers, not great movie numbers

Edited by mikee11
  • Like 1

612 million would be a awful final domestic number for TLJ. There's no way that happens. I mean, movie is already at 533 million domestic. There's no way the movie has only 79 million left. 

I predict the final domestic between 660-680 million.  700 million not possible, if the gap between TFA and TLJ keeps increasing. For now, TLJ is running 217 million behind TFA...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

well they found it bad! what can they do fucking do about it? say otherwise just because they may be a minority? even if 99 out of 100 like a movie i/you/him/she can say it's bad if we don't like it without being told we are just pretending. nobody spends money hoping they hate a movie. why have so much butt hurt over it as long as you got your money's worth?

Who's "butt hurt", lol.

I'm simply pointing out it's highly unlikely a movie with over 90% on RT is "bad".

I don't like Batman Begins for personal reasons, it doesn't make it a bad movie.

If you look at the passionate responses to my comment you'll see it's other people who are "butt hurt", if anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who's "butt hurt", lol.

I'm simply pointing out it's highly unlikely a movie with over 90% on RT is "bad".

I don't like Batman Begins for personal reasons, it doesn't make it a bad movie.

If you look at the passionate responses to my comment you'll see it's other people who are "butt hurt", if anyone.

There is no objective good or bad 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

There's no consensus that it's a great movie. The average mean on imdb is 7.2 and it's gonna drop even more, maybe even to prequel levels as it gets more votes. Rotten tomatoe score has hundred thousand votes, r/movies voted it 6.9/10 which is their 50th highest rated movie of the year behind king arthur .

This are mediocre movie numbers, not great movie numbers

Sure but 90% of critics won't recommend a movie they consider bad.

User scores are open to alot of bullshit. Like people intentionally driving down the score by unfairly giving the lowest score possible over and over and over.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who's "butt hurt", lol.

Ummm, I think you are missing that RT.com critic scores have not "remained constant" for the years of cinema, but seem to be involved in grade inflation...unless you want to say 12 movies released in 2017 belong on the list of the top 100 movies ever made...seems RT.com critics may have fallen into a group think problem this year themselves...https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

And yes, I know they haven't been around all that long, so more recent movies have a better chance on this chart...but the 12 movies who made it this year wouldn't all make my "good" list, let alone my "great" list... 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

No one is driving down TLJ's user scores that much. Every big film will have a certain chunk of troll votes and cheats on user scores, so it mostly all evens out. Whatever shenanigans a bit more extreme than normal may or may not have happened on RT, I can't imagine the audience score would be over 65% in any case. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

well they found it bad! what can they do fucking do about it? say otherwise just because they may be a minority? even if 99 out of 100 like a movie i/you/him/she can say it's bad if we don't like it without being told we are just pretending. nobody spends money hoping they hate a movie. why have so much butt hurt over it as long as you got your money's worth?

"I don't like a movie" is very different than "This movie is bad".

Then can say whatever they want about TLJ but they can't dismiss the great cinematography and the greatest acting a SW movie ever had. Critics do value this more than "Luke wouldn't do that" arguments.

• Like 3

Just now, Rebeccas said:

There is no objective good or bad 

Yes but there is critical consensus that says that Catwoman is not better than The Godfather.

Personal opinions aside, that consensus can be useful when assessing the overall quality of a film.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yes but there is critical consensus that says that Catwoman is not better than The Godfather.

Personal opinions aside, that consensus can be useful when assessing the overall quality of a film.

Well duh no one here is denying that the critics like TLJ, it just doesn’t mean they have to.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No one is driving down TLJ's user scores that much. Every big film will have a certain chunk of troll votes and cheats on user scores, so it mostly all evens out. Whatever shenanigans a bit more extreme than normal may or may not have happened on RT, I can't imagine the audience score would be over 65% in any case. 

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the audience score is 70% tops once you remove the bots, which is very weak for a big blockbuster. For a 2 and a half hour movie, rewatchability isn't that high, and a significant portion of the audience simply doesn't like the movie. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Haha, and that was one of the less memorable songs for me. The Greatest Show, The Other Side, and Never Enough were definitely  the standouts for me. 

Rewrite the Stars is my personal favorite (huge fan of Efron and Zendaya) and The Other Side is great too. I also really like Come Alive.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, I think you are missing that RT.com critic scores have not "remained constant" for the years of cinema, but seem to be involved in grade inflation...unless you want to say 12 movies released in 2017 belong on the list of the top 100 movies ever made...seems RT.com critics may have fallen into a group think problem this year themselves...https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

And yes, I know they haven't been around all that long, so more recent movies have a better chance on this chart...but the 12 movies who made it this year wouldn't all make my "good" list, let alone my "great" list... 

Yeah but how many would make your worst list.

We're talking about extremes here.

Sure I can say The Godfather is terrible but my opinion doesn't overshadow critical consensus, nor should it.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

"It mostly all evens out"

How could you possibly know this?

You're assuming people motivated to give the lowest score possible roughly even the number motivated to give the highest score.

How do you know the former group doesn't triple or quadruple the latter group?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah but how many would make your worst list.

We're talking about extremes here.

Sure I can say The Godfather is terrible but my opinion doesn't overshadow critical consensus, nor should it.

"Worst list" is different than "bad movie" - I'd say a "bad movie" is anything I'd give a C or below to, and I probably would give that grade to at least one of the movies on that list (and I know from reading other users' comments, they'd probably be the same)...

Again, the RT.com groupthink of critical ratings this year devalued themselves...so many 90+ overall positive ratings for movies I did like, but wouldn't say "top 100" ever...in fact, I don't think I saw a movie this year that I'd put in the top 100 list, whether in theaters or on video/Netflix...best grade I gave all year to a movie was A-, although I have not seen all the Oscar bait...but then again, most of the 12 2017 movies on the top 100 movies ever list are not Oscar bait...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the audience score is 70% tops once you remove the bots, which is very weak for a big blockbuster. For a 2 and a half hour movie, rewatchability isn't that high, and a significant portion of the audience simply doesn't like the movie. 

70% tops?

What raw data tells you this?

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You're assuming people motivated to give the lowest score possible roughly even the number motivated to give the highest score.

I meant in any big film there are going to be that group that tries to bring down the score on user sites. So it mostly all evens out (i.e. film x might have a 85% without that group instead of an 80% while film y might have a 65% without that group instead of a 60%. Film x is still easily the better liked one with or without the trolls. Now maybe TLJ had a more extreme case, but definitely not to the extent that the RT audience score plummeted 20%+ or something as a result. Far too many people just aren't a big fan. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

"Worst list" is different than "bad movie" - I'd say a "bad movie" is anything I'd give a C or below to, and I probably would give that grade to at least one of the movies on that list (and I know from reading other users' comments, they'd probably be the same)...

Again, the RT.com groupthink of critical ratings this year devalued themselves...so many 90+ overall positive ratings for movies I did like, but wouldn't say "top 100" ever...in fact, I don't think I saw a movie this year that I'd put in the top 100 list, whether in theaters or on video/Netflix...best grade I gave all year to a movie was A-, although I have not seen all the Oscar bait...but then again, most of the 12 2017 movies on the top 100 movies ever list are not Oscar bait...

I don't like Batman Begins.

Critics do like Batman Begins.

My opinion should overshadow the critics for myself and only myself.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Doesnt that just mean... it has mixed reception lol I mean it still takes some effort to make an account and vote.

• Like 1