grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

18 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I remember back in 2010, when we were all shocked at the terrible numbers being posted at the box office that year, especially compared with 2009. Well, we're now 100m tickets clear of 2010.

Cinemas are fucked™

59 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yes, there was definitely a bit of collective hysteria over TPM at the time where it was like people couldn't quite admit that perhaps the most hyped film ever just wasn't that great (and then some). It's hard to say exactly when the more appropriate reaction we know today became mainstream but it was many months if not years after release.

There has never been a proper good Star Wars movie since the original TBH.

Its all been consumer driven nonsense since then.

At least the original was novel at the time, I don't rate any subsequent ones better or worse than each other, they are just kind of....there....as background noise.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

At least the original was novel at the time, I don't rate any subsequent ones better or worse than each other, they are just kind of....there....as background noise.

the-dude.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AndyK said:

ANH and ESB are light-years ahead of the rest for me. First third of RotJ is pretty awesome too. After that, yeah... The more of these they make, the more I realize that I'm pretty much an OT guy and not really a Star Wars guy.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Thats why i still believe that the people believing this will fall of a cliff completely after the holidays are mistaken.

Well it picked a holiday to take second place. That's not exactly worth celebrating. 

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/01/01/unhappy-new-years-day-last-jedi-knocked-off-number-1-by-jumanji-reboot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Well it picked a holiday to take second place. That's not exactly worth celebrating. 

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/01/01/unhappy-new-years-day-last-jedi-knocked-off-number-1-by-jumanji-reboot

Once again, this last weekend says a lot more about Jumanji than TLJ. For already having burned of 460M+ demand, TLJ had a good hold all things considered (look at @Porthos list of 3rd weekends to get a perspective).

Jumanji is its own monster.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Once again, this last weekend says a lot more about Jumanji than TLJ. For already having burned of 460M+ demand, TLJ had a good hold all things considered (look at @Porthos list of 3rd weekends to get a perspective).

Jumanji is its own monster.

I mean it didn't compared to Rogue One.

This 4-day weekend, The Last Jedi outperformed Rogue One by 4.4%, and it'd need to outperform Rogue One by 39% every single day for the rest of its run to reach $660m, which would give it a 3x multiplier. It won't touch that now.

The King is dead. Long live the King. I think people clearly have a choice in the fantasy genre right now and Jumanji has captured people's attention. WOM seems to say that people are having a surprisingly good time seeing this film, which is in stark contrast to Jedi. Lets be honest. Jedi was going to benefit off TFA in a big way no matter what they released.  You don't become the biggest grossing film of all time and not pass on that good will to the next. 

The holidays allowed everyone to get in and see the sequel and its fairly obvious this film has had a polarizing effect on many. TLJ is a success and will go down as such. But its legacy and how this all shakes out down the road will be interesting to watch. Solo comes out in only six months, then Deadpool 2 comes in the week after. What will the effect of this film plus the nonstop saturation of these movies have to audiences? That will be interesting to watch. 

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Thats why i still believe that the people believing this will fall of a cliff completely after the holidays are mistaken.

It will drop over 50% in the 4th weekend just like TFA and Rogue One. Question is whether it can drop low 50’s like they did or whether it drops closer to 60%. 

38 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

It’s pretty anecodal but I’ve personally heard a lot of strong praise for the Greatest Showman.  It could have some really nice legs, probably not good enough to edge 100m though.

So have I.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lab276 said:

I remember back in 2010, when we were all shocked at the terrible numbers being posted at the box office that year, especially compared with 2009. Well, we're now 100m tickets clear of 2010.

5JGhp9q.png

EmBhyga.png

Issue is movies are costing more to make and cinemas are only getting money by charging each person a lot more moeny.

It will work for small indie films or big blockbusters.