aabattery

AABATTERY's Top 25 of 2017

7twhNAr.png

Another year, another list. Been a pretty good year for movies in my humble opinion. Lotsa good stuff. I've been to the cinema far too many times but I've liked almost all of what I've headed out to see. My list will probably be relatively tame because I am a boring person but hopefully the pretty pictures will be enough to distract from that. Should also note that a lot of the fun awardsy stuff has not come out here yet so, as always, this list is probably getting way ahead of itself.

Now the twist, and there is a twist, is that all of my drawings I've done for this list this year are in glorious technicolor. Very pretty. That's basically it really. Rest is the same except I probably won't try as hard on the writeups this go around because I have spent way too many hours on this list already. Hope y'all enjoy.

TOP 25:

Spoiler

HfSlcW8.png

errpLXi.png

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

K7ogtii.png

GRxLk5p.png

eDh7qBL.png

CbjSvF1.jpg

uVkVk54.png

ZlDYg8D.jpg

u2pjxeZ.png

tG7CSOn.jpg

w6Lf8I4.png

93MMdzl.png

iHGL517.png

1nWh5cO.jpg

itI6jay.png

LlAZaUm.jpg

QitquWv.png

92L3qm0.jpg

CkGZcXX.png

EDBL24H.jpg

Ne8PqkI.png

nU2bwwS.jpg

hyKJbhV.png

QoO1o2g.jpg

hxtdGtA.png

uWP5JgI.jpg

jmwcLco.png

nwG4T6U.jpg

CuSsoXi.png

VDrtqgd.jpg

1sKn11t.png

dKHeKUC.jpg

o5xFWK6.png

GmndseR.png

fTHzwIO.png

1y685j1.png

ntUNSOX.png

fcxv4NR.jpg

QDoVF84.png

XzYviVk.jpg

hDafGR4.png

QHOJaOY.jpg

AHWxXwo.png

n1ZczIk.jpg

DvTXfv1.png

30gikU5.png

7MtFpLz.png

p15qRpE.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

HfSlcW8.png

errpLXi.png

Director ~ Doug Liman

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 87%

BO ~ 134.9M

Doug Liman doing his Doug Liman thing and Tom Cruise doing his Tom Cruise thing. It's a fun combo! And that's not even mentioning Domhnall Gleeson, who gives a career best performance as dancing man on crate. Good year for him; he plays an asshole much better than he plays a loser. Barry Seal is wild although I did read after that Doug Liman (that rascal) did take some... creative liberties. As in most of what happens in this movie did not happen in real life. Don't care though. Movie is good! Keep the Liman-Cruise collabs coming.

• Like 11

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Taylor Sheridan

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 87%

BO ~ 40.4M

A rock solid murder mystery. Probably the weakest of three Sheridan script crime drama thingies I've seen but considering how good I think those other two are, third place ain't too bad. It drags it's feet a bit in the first couple of acts but it's worth it for that finale. Jon Bernthal continues his crusade to show up in every movie in the world. Renner crushes it, Olsen is decent, other people are good too. I think a more experienced director could have done a bit better with the material, but it's strong enough to stand as is. Plus it looks good as hell. Some beautiful scenery all throughout this one. I feel like I've spent most of this write-up dumping on the movie but I do like it! Good stuff.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

K7ogtii.png

GRxLk5p.png

Director ~ Bertrand Bonello

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 86%

BO ~ 292k

Je ne pouvais pas être dérangé de faire une écriture réelle ici, donc je vais juste s'engager à la partie française. Les règles du film cependant. vraiment solide. Bonjour à tous les francophones du forum. J'espère que cette traduction anglaise démentielle en français n'est pas trop douloureuse mais c'est trop tard pour y retourner. bonjour aux gens qui remettent ça par le traducteur, vous êtes des curieux. Je devrais probablement en dire plus sur le film. Il y a une intrigue bien nette que vous avez un peu de travail pour vous-même en cours de route, donc je ne veux pas trop gâcher ça. Il suffit de regarder. Ou pas. Dépend de vous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3

eDh7qBL.png

CbjSvF1.jpg

Director ~ Ceyda Torun

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 98%

BO ~ 4M

It's 80 minutes of cats going around doing cat things in the streets of Istanbul. There's so many cats in this documentary and they're all adorable. Helps that the whole thing is filmed really nicely. It looks great and you really get in there with the cats. The people side of things is also really interesting. It's always cool to see the perspectives of people in other cultures, and the relationships between the people and cats of Istanbul is a joy to behold. There's not much more to it than that. If you like cats, you will probably at least get some enjoyment out of this. If you don't like cats I would say that this is probably not the documentary for you.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, aabattery said:

K7ogtii.png

GRxLk5p.png

Director ~ Bertrand Bonello

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 86%

BO ~ 292k

Je ne pouvais pas être dérangé de faire une écriture réelle ici, donc je vais juste s'engager à la partie française. Les règles du film cependant. vraiment solide. Bonjour à tous les francophones du forum. J'espère que cette traduction anglaise démentielle en français n'est pas trop douloureuse mais c'est trop tard pour y retourner. bonjour aux gens qui remettent ça par le traducteur, vous êtes des curieux. Je devrais probablement en dire plus sur le film. Il y a une intrigue bien nette que vous avez un peu de travail pour vous-même en cours de route, donc je ne veux pas trop gâcher ça. Il suffit de regarder. Ou pas. Dépend de vous.

Jes, mi estis scivola. Dankon pro la revizio. RebWGyw.png

• Like 2

eDh7qBL.png

CbjSvF1.jpg

Director ~ Michael Winterbottom

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 83%

BO ~ 1.2M

These movies are chill. Two funny dudes going around eating food that makes me hungry. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last two installments in this franchise and The Trip to Spain continues this tradition. It's pretty light on the plot front but it's the kind of movie that doesn't really need that. Brydon and Coogan have some killer chemistry and their impressions are absolutely aces once again. It would be easy for a movie like this to end up being insufferable; two comedians sitting around trying to make each other laugh is a difficult act to balance but they have managed to pull it off once again. There's a bit of a melancholic touch to these movies that kind of prevent them from becoming too full of themselves. Spain looks nice too. Wish I got paid to go on a trip there.

Come, come, Mr. Bond.

• Like 7

eDh7qBL.png

CbjSvF1.jpg

Director ~ Matthew Reeves

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 93%

BO ~ 490.7M

It's a bit overlong, a bit dour and kind of treads the same ground as the last one but man was it satisfying. Technically, this film just works. The CGI is impeccable, the film itself looks good as hell (all those forest shots got me giddy) and Giacchino's score is absolutely sublime. The characters are pretty great. Caesar is a good dude. I think about Woody Harrelson saying "SO EMOTIONAL" more than I should. Like I said, it was a bit long but I was never really bored. It's definitely got a lot of fat that could be trimmed but nothing that really cripples the movie. Definitely interested to see what Matthew Reeves does next. Guy knows how to point a camera.

• Like 10

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Michael Showalter

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 98%

BO ~ 55M

This a nice movie. It's funny and heartfelt, and it's got some killer performances (especially from Holly Hunter). It's managed to avoid most of the Apatow-isms that bother me about the comedies he's produced which is a big plus in my book. It's got a really touching story and knowing that Kumail Nanjiani has lived through that makes his performance particularly touching. 

• Like 7

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ James Mangold

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 93%

BO ~ 616.8M

Wolverine goes out on a high note.  High Jackman and Patrick Stewart absolutely kill it and Dafne Keen does a great job alongside them. The action is great; Wolverine really benefits from having an R-rating. It looks like a proper, actual movie without a CGI-clusterfuck in sight. I've got a few niggles with the plot but overall, this was a great ending for the character. Until Disney brings him back, anyway.

• Like 8

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Directors ~ Benny & Josh Safdie

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 91%

BO ~ 2M

Robert Pattinson is good at the acting! Who knew? It's the best performance of his career by a country mile. He's crazy good in this. But yeah, this movie is great. It's stylish as hell, it's got one of the best scores of the year and it's all done in under 100 minutes. Lots to love. I'm definitely looking forward to whatever the Safdie brothers get up to next. Their 48 Hours remake should be dope.

• Like 8

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Edgar Wright

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 93%

BO ~ 226.9M

Had a real good time with this. Lots of good music synced up wonderfully with some bomb-ass car action. Ansel Elgort is... fine. Lily James has a bit of a nothing role but she looks real nice. The supporting cast is the strongest part on the acting front; Jon Hamm and Jaime Foxx being the standouts. Good stuff! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1