AABATTERY's Top 25 of 2017

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ James Gunn

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 83%

BO ~ 863.6M

I'm a sucker for some Marvel movies. But I thought this one was properly good. It's got a really strong emotional backbone, especially for this kind of blockbuster, and it's funny! Not perfect by any means but it really did feel like James Gunn's movie, and it's always nice to see that creative vision come through in films this big. Kurt Russell is fantastic; I am not opposed to throwing Kurt Russell into every single one of these things. I liked the first one quite a bit, but GOTG 2 is probably my favourite of the two. This is how sequels should be done. 

• Like 10

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ William Oldroyd

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 89%

BO ~ 3.9M

Florence Pugh is a revelation. She is so damn good in this. The whole thing is great, but Florence Pugh elevates it all to the next level. Watching her characters moral descent over the course of the film is deeply engrossing and gives you that juicy, slightly uncomfortable feeling you get from watching bad people do bad things on screen. The film looks fab as well. Great costume design and what-not. Real solid stuff.

• Like 6

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ James Gray

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 87%

BO ~ 17.2M

Explorers out explorin'. I've always loved this sort of thing. All the politics and the journeys make for a good-ass film in my eyes. Charlie Hunnam actually does a decent job. He doesn't sound like a simulation of how normal humans speak in this one. Pattinson is fine (better in Good Time though). And man does this movie look nice. One of the prettiest movies of the year. The fact that they made such a gorgeous film with such beautiful locations for only 30M is super impressive. 

• Like 6

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ James Franco

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 92%

BO ~ 18.6M

James Franco and co made themselves a good movie about a bad movie. James Franco does a fantastic job of becoming Tommy Wiseau and Dave Franco does a bad job of growing a real beard. The film is, as expected, very funny but surprisingly touching. Tugs on the heartstrings a lot more than I expected, anyway. The cherry on top is Zac Efron, who's performance will stay with us for the ages to come. He's very good in this. 

• Like 7

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Bong Joon-ho

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 86%

BO ~ Zilch

Gonna stand on my soapbox to declare that everyone who thinks Jake Gyllenhaal is bad in this is "dumb" and "wrong." Dude rules. He's so good. I only wish there was more of him in the movie. The movie itself is great. Gotta hand it to Netflix for handing over the cash to make a movie like this. 

• Like 6

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Dee Rees

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 97%

BO ~ Nada

Two Netflix movies in a row. Studio's gonna have to start paying me soon. Anywho, Mudbound is really, really good. It's all done so beautifully and it's got an incredibly powerful story. Throw on some masterclass performances from pretty much everyone in the cast, and you've got yourself a film that really sticks with you. If you haven't checked this out yet, you have no excuse unless you don't have Netflix in which case get Netflix and watch this.

• Like 6

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Denis Villeneuve

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 87%

BO ~ not enough : (

A worthy sequel to the original Blade Runner, Denis knocks it out of the park. Deakins is firing on all cylinders for this one and the movie looks really, really good because of it. So much care and love went into every aspect of this movie, and you can see it all on screen. It's a shame it bombed because you don't get 150M+ films that are this thoughtful and cerebral very often, but at least this film got made. Really good stuff.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

vIaseVn.png

eKUbjqZ.jpg

Director ~ Tom King

Trailer

IMDB

RT ~ 100%

BO ~ 95.44M

These movies are way better than they have any right to be. They're so nice and endearing and everything is just so damn likeable. This one is even better than they already very good first movie but everything just works. It looks so damn good. It's one of the best looking family films I've ever seen. Hugh Grant shows McAvoy how multiple characters are done; he's absolutely hysterical in this. He even has a musical number! It's so good. Hail Tom King.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

First you and now The Panda giving Blade Runner a lower spot than #1.  Very bad.

The odds of Blade Runner 2049 being #1 on every list were never in your favor

• Like 3
  • Haha 1