Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Can You Ever Forgive Me? and Boy Erased both sound like solid potential lower-half Best Picture contenders so far. Doesn't hurt that both films are sure to be the #2's of their studios (Fox Searchlight and Focus, who have juggled double films well in the past) this season.

Edited by filmlover

On 9/2/2018 at 8:36 AM, Webslinger said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Roma suffers backlash from being released on Netflix, small-scale theatrical release or none, and that could cost it the win. We'll see, though.

I hope the academy won't dismiss Roma for that reason, we need a foreign language film to be nominated for BP, it is been 6 years since Amour 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Word on THE HATE U GIVE is pretty great so far - not sure if it can go all the way, but Stenberg could have potential in Actress.

That movie does look quite effective. Looking forward to it.

Stenberg's chances will only go up though if Widows turns out to be a nonstarter considering they're both from Fox. Actress is packed as hell this year.

Russell Hornsby has a shot too - Supporting Actor is weaker than Actress this year and he's getting glowing notices. The Hate U Give, Boy Erased, and Can You Ever Forgive Me all have very "depends on how the rest of the year fills out, but this is good!" type reviews. Roma, First Man, Star is Born, The Favourite, Black Klansman, and Black Panther feels like a definitive top six in the early going, with everything else battling for the last two spots. Will have to see if Beale Street/Widows/Backseat break glow enough to break into that.

Beautiful Boy is clearly only a play for Chalamet (definitely getting nommed) and Carrell (depends on rest of category) at this point, the reviews are middling on the movie itself.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Russell Hornsby has a shot too - Supporting Actor is weaker than Actress this year and he's getting glowing notices. The Hate U Give, Boy Erased, and Can You Ever Forgive Me all have very "depends on how the rest of the year fills out, but this is good!" type reviews. Roma, First Man, Star is Born, The Favourite, Black Klansman, and Black Panther feels like a definitive top six in the early going, with everything else battling for the last two spots. Will have to see if Beale Street/Widows/Backseat break glow enough to break into that.

Beautiful Boy is clearly only a play for Chalamet (definitely getting nommed) and Carrell (depends on rest of category) at this point, the reviews are middling on the movie itself.

I just said this in the Supporting Actor thread but I don't think even Chalamet's getting nominated either. He's getting the raves, but the film is likely gonna be way too much of a non-factor otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just said this in the Supporting Actor thread but I don't think even Chalamet's getting nominated either. He's getting the raves, but the film is likely gonna be way too much of a non-factor otherwise. 

Ehhhhh yea but I mean this year sucks ass in this category. Almost everything has already been seen and Jordan, Elliot, Grant, and Crowe are the only ones who even have a remote chance. Very thin year. So unless all four of those guys get in (no lock - Elliot and Crowe don't even get mentioned in alot of reviews) and either Kayuula or Rockwell brings the house down, I don't see how he misses. It's thin af.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ehhhhh yea but I mean this year sucks ass in this category. Almost everything has already been seen and Jordan, Elliot, Grant, and Crowe are the only ones who even have a remote chance. Very thin year. So unless all four of those guys get in (no lock - Elliot and Crowe don't even get mentioned in alot of reviews) and either Kayuula or Rockwell brings the house down, I don't see how he misses. It's thin af.

I wouldn't rule out Adam Driver getting nominated. BlacKkKlansman is likely gonna be a big player and he's building quite the impressive filmography so far. For sure I would give him a stronger shot than Timothee right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

bleecker street are pushing ben foster supporting for leave no trace. that might be something.

I think you're right. Leave No Trace is only about $3,000 dollars away from Captain Fantastic's unadjusted box office gross, and they were able to successfully campaign Viggo Mortensen for the latter film in a weak-ish Best Actor field that also had some top-tier misses (Joel Edgerton for Loving, Tom Hanks for Sully, Adam Driver for Paterson, Chris Pine for Hell or High Water). This year's Supporting Actor situation is very reminiscent of that situation, and I believe that Leave No Trace as a film is good enough to warrant Ben Foster trudging through the critic awards and sneaking in a nomination.

Edited by Slambros

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think CYEFM is a bit above those other two largely because McCarthy and Grant feel pretty safe for nominations (especially the latter because god fucking DAMN is Supporting Actor empty). Picture, Screenplay, and anything else depend on how the rest of the field plays out, yeah.

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

bleecker street are pushing ben foster supporting for leave no trace. that might be something.

yes plz. Work that magic, Bleecker Street

They've both gotten the "too commercial" or "too genre" tags, but based on the reactions and reviews I think both Widows and The Hate U Give are real contenders for a nom. Rousing crowd pleasers with diverse, outstanding ensembles that touch on weighty subjects? Seems like the potential is there, especially with the new makeup of the Academy.

If Beale Street is great, and Green Room is good, and Backseat lives up to the hype, this is suddenly a pretty crowded BP race.

Edited by Cmasterclay

I'd love to see THUG earn a BP nom, but I feel like being based on a YA novel could give it some baggage. I can see a scenario where some Academy voters may find that they're above a film with that kind of label. Also doesn't help that it seems like a film that will get lost in the shuffle when it comes to the box office.

Edited by CoolEric258

Widows so far feels like another The Town to me: box office will likely be great and it'll nab an acting nom or two, but it might not have the passion for the movie itself necessary to get into the Best Picture race.

Also @Cmasterclay, I think you mean Green Book. ;) So far we haven't had a single bust this festival season. Unless we actually want to count Life Itself lmao.