Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

If Netfix willing to give up their toxic day-to date release strategy(at least for Roma), I think Academy will be very welcoming the movie 

Yeah this is what it'll come down to. If Roma has the same release pattern as every other Netflix movie, it might win a bunch of oscars like foreign or cinematography or even a second one for Cuaron but it ain't winning Best Picture. If Netflix makes an exception and gives it a 1-2 month theatrical only window there will be no baggage at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Yeah this is what it'll come down to. If Roma has the same release pattern as every other Netflix movie, it might win a bunch of oscars like foreign or cinematography or even a second one for Cuaron but it ain't winning Best Picture. If Netflix makes an exception and gives it a 1-2 month theatrical only window there will be no baggage at all.

If Netflix insists their release strategy, Roma could even get snubbed to almost empty handed, critically acclaimed doesn't mean oscar, just look at The Florida Project last year, and don't forget Roma is in Spanish. It is vulnerable than it looked 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If Netflix insists their release strategy, Roma could even get snubbed to almost empty handed, critically acclaimed doesn't mean oscar, just look at The Florida Project last year, and don't forget Roma is in Spanish. It is vulnerable than it looked 

This is a bigger deal than The Florida Project (which also got pushed to the side because Lady Bird became A24's main focus) was though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is a bigger deal than The Florida Project (which also got pushed to the side because Lady Bird became A24's main focus) was though.

It doesn't become a bigger deal when it is in Spanish, foreign-language film have poor tracking at Oscar despite the expansion of Best Picture field, only Amour made the cut in 2012, and since then, nothing else with one-two strike from Marion Cortillard and Isabelle Huppert in lead actress.

Before the expansion, let's talk about 2000s, two non-english film enter the final top 5, 3 if you included Babel, and with multiple of them scored in major category like Best Director and Best Screenplay, like Amelie, Talk to Her, City of God, Pan's labyrinth, La Vien Rose, Diving Bell and the Butterfly......

The hot streak just stopped right after the expansion of BP field, even in screenplay category, which known to be very open to foreign-language script, and I doubt Roma's buzz is as strong as it appear to be, Alfonso is the sole-magnet for Roma, and the acclaim among critics. All of the other factors are against its odd. 

• Like 1

So we can generally agree the top 10 is this right now:

BlacKkKlansman

Black Panther

The Favourite

First Man

Green Book

If Beale Street Could Talk

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice

Widows

The only other movies that stand a semi decent chance at showing up imo are Bohemian Rhapsody, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Eighth Grade, and Boy Erased

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

So we can generally agree the top 10 is this right now:

BlacKkKlansman

Black Panther

The Favourite

First Man

Green Book

If Beale Street Could Talk

Roma

A Star Is Born

Vice

Widows

The only other movies that stand a semi decent chance at showing up imo are Bohemian Rhapsody, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Eighth Grade, and Boy Erased

I think The Hate U Give has a decent chance of showing up too, depending on how Fox pushes it

Yeah, if The Hate U Give breaks out at the box office (fingers crossed it does really well) it stands an outside chance. Might even be Fox's #2 push (behind Widows) over Bohemian Rhapsody too with 96% on RT and 83 on MC.

Edited by filmlover

Vice still unseen, so I wouldn't put it in a top10. Besides this, I agree with the other 9 movies. And I would add The Hate u Give to the mix.

The strongest candidates:

A Star is Born - It has many things on its side. it's in

Favourite - raves and showy for acting branch

Black Panther - cultural phenomenon

First Man - Strong not stellar reviews, but Oscar loves biopics, American heroes, space, technical achievement, and the names involved behind and in front of camera

Really solid chances:

If Beale Street Could Talk - Glowing reviews + timely + respected talent

Roma - it would be in the upper group of candidates if it weren't for Netflix distribution. Are AMPAS members ready to embrace this kind of comercial strategy? Unsure about that.

Green Book - People's choice prize in Toronto is a really good indicator. Plus, two great actors considered.

Blackkkansman - succesful BO hit. Diversity helps. Also, Spike Lee returning.

In the fight:

Widows - strong reception, cast and auteur. But it's likely to see it succeeding as a serious thriller for audiences more than getting prizes. Just like The Town, Gone Girl, Heat or Girl with Dragon tatoo.

Hate U Give - huge attention with great reviews. Theme will help. Too many movies aiming for the diversity factor. Needs a succesful run to be in the conversation once January arrives.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - another indie with great reviews so far. Too little? Acting and script could be the best categories to bet for this. Needs to be a hit.

Unseen possible spoilers:

Welcome to Marwen - It's Zemeckis + Steve Carrel. If it's succesful with audiences, it will benefit from freshness once AMPAS decide.

Vice - Many things on paper going for it. But will it survive to the hype?

Mary Poppins Returns - Only if it manages to be loved by both audiences and critics. There might be too many popular movies fighting for room at this moment.

The Mule - surprising late addition. It's Eastwood. In December. With strong cast.

Longshot seen movies:

Boy Erased

Eighth Grade

A quiet place

Beautiful boy

Crazy Rich Asians

At Eternity Gate

Destroyer

Longshot unseen movies:

Mary Queen of Scots

On the basis of sex

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Like 1

So, if I had to guess today, I would bet 9 noms: Star is Born, Favourite, Black Panther, First Man, Beale Street, Roma, Green Book, Hate U Give (over Blackkkansman, because its more recent, reviews are far better and will steal all the air left for diversity! factor), and a December movie.

From December, I have a feeling it will be Marwen or Mule.

That would be a great line up that would kill the wrong arguments that Oscars don't like popular films.

The overall gross of this nominees would be far over 1 billion DOM

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 7:20 PM, Spagheditary said:

Thoughts on Life Itself? Fogelman can be hit or miss, and the trailer looks a bit generic. The September release doesn’t help either.

However, This Is Us is definitely winning over a lot of people, and if he can deliver something on that caliber or higher, it may be a potential player.

.....live and learn?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, stripe said:

So, if I had to guess today, I would bet 9 noms: Star is Born, Favourite, Black Panther, First Man, Beale Street, Roma, Green Book, Hate U Give (over Blackkkansman, because its more recent, reviews are far better and will steal all the air left for diversity! factor), and a December movie.

Vice.

I saw A Star Is Born earlier tonight. I don't want to overhype it or jump the gun, but I think it could be in the conversation for the win. It has the fame/showbiz angle working for it and it straight-up walloped the mostly older audience I saw it with.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

After seeing the movie, I think that unless Bale gives a performance so undeniable that they have to give him a second Oscar, Cooper is winning Best Actor. Dude's gonna be campaigning his ass off throughout awards season. Plus, it's gonna be his fourth acting nomination in seven years.

Gaga will certainly be nominated, but winning I'm not completely sure about. If Close nabs her seventh nomination and Gaga ends up being her main competition, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up Julianne Moore-ing her way to a victory as the lone nomination for her movie due to everyone deciding "it's time." Plus, she's incredibly good in The Wife. The movie itself is only decent, but her performance definitely sticks with you.

With ASIB looking to be a legitimate blockbuster grosser and Disney pushing BP for Picture not popular, the ironic thing is that popular category may end up looking like an even dumber move than it already seemed. Will be even more of an epic fail if ASIB actually wins like it sounds like it could have at least a shot at.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spagheditary said:

I can see Star is Born easily for...

Picture

Director

Actor

Actress

Adapted Screenplay

Editing

Cinematography

Song x2

Sound Mixing

I can also see Sam Elliott riding the film on its coattails and finding a way to a nomination. He's not in the movie for long, but he's easily gotten the most to chew on when it comes to the supporting cast, and with this film expecting to sweep so many categories already, he could join in too. Also helps that Supporting Actor's a pretty barren slate this year.

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I can also see Sam Elliott riding the film on its coattails and finding a way to a nomination. He's not in the movie for long, but he's easily gotten the most to chew on when it comes to the supporting cast, and with this film expecting to sweep so many categories already, he could join in too. Also helps that Supporting Actor's a pretty barren slate this year.

Elliot’s great in the movie, with a weak supporting field I think he’s a shoe in