Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Hereditary would need Get Out level reviews to get a nom

It would also need the box office too. If Get Out had finished with like half of what it did it's unlikely it would've remained in the conversation as much it did by the end of the year.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It would also need the box office too. If Get Out had finished with like half of what it did it's unlikely it would've remained in the conversation as much it did by the end of the year.

nah.  it needs Get Out level reviews, good audience reception and for A24 to campaign for it during awards season.  box office is irrelevant (although it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do well)

Edited by That One Guy

was anyone calling viggo mortensens's best actor nod for captain fantastic post-sundance a couple years ago? i don't think so you never know with these things. i think everyone was talking about casey affleck (and nate parker lol) that year and he just snuck right by.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

was anyone calling viggo mortensens's best actor nod for captain fantastic post-sundance a couple years ago? i don't think so you never know with these things. i think everyone was talking about casey affleck (and nate parker lol) that year and he just snuck right by.

Also a Bleecker Street film.

200.gif

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Beautiful Boy had a test screening the other day, and word seems to be mixed from what I'm gathering on Awards Watch. Chalamet might get an afterglow nomination, but if the movie is going nowhere else, I don't see him happening.

If the film ends up tepidly received, it's not going anywhere. 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:00 PM, That One Guy said:

nah.  it needs Get Out level reviews, good audience reception and for A24 to campaign for it during awards season.  box office is irrelevant (although it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do well)

And a theme . you can't be a good horror movie and nothing more , you need a timely narrative 

Best Picture

Backseat

If Beale Could Talk

The Best of Enemies

Black Klansman

Boy Erased

Mary, Queen of Scots

On the Basis of Sex

Opehila

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Widows

And I want the ridiculous post in before I see the movie:

Black Panther will snag Best Production Design, Best Costumes, Best Hair & Make-Up, Best Visual Effects, and Best Adapted Screenplay, but be snubbed Best Director and Best Picture.

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Best Picture

Backseat

If Beale Could Talk

The Best of Enemies

Black Klansman

Boy Erased

Mary, Queen of Scots

On the Basis of Sex

Opehila

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Widows

And I want the ridiculous post in before I see the movie:

Black Panther will snag Best Production Design, Best Costumes, Best Hair & Make-Up, Best Visual Effects, and Best Adapted Screenplay, but be snubbed Best Director and Best Picture.

I'll be shocked if Panther gets into Screenplay. Most of this year's presumed BP contenders are going to be Adapted.

The VFX are also being called the weakest part of the film. I don't think it'll get in there.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Backseat feels like the no duh frontunner to me a year out so it probably sucks ass.

i'm looking out for Ad Astra. currently got an MLK 2019 release date but i can see Fox pulling a Revenant/Hidden Figures/The Post with the release if it's good. A Jame Gray space epic that oughta be something real special. he's never really broke out with the academy but the way his films have been handled release wise i don't think he's ever had the chance.

• Like 1

I just looked up what A24 has out this year and they've got Jonah Hill's directorial debut which will almost certainly land during the fall festivals for a fourth quarter release. It really does sound like the male version of Lady Bird (it even has Lucas Hedges too!). "Oscar-Nominated Director Jonah Hill" would probably sound even more surreal than "Two-Time Oscar-Nominated Actor Jonah Hill."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-90s

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just looked up what A24 has out this year and they've got Jonah Hill's directorial debut which will almost certainly land during the fall festivals for a fourth quarter release. It really does sound like the male version of Lady Bird (it even has Lucas Hedges too!). "Oscar-Nominated Director Jonah Hill" would probably sound even more surreal than "Two-Time Oscar-Nominated Actor Jonah Hill."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-90s

I think Katherine Waterston would be a timely and celebrated Supporting Actress nomination if her performance from that film is up to snuff.