Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Aquaman missing the VFX shortlist is kinda ridiculous. I thought the movie was awful but it had the best visual effects I had seen all year. Ant man and Black Panther getting in instead of it is laughable.

I’m guessing it was seen too late to officially make the cut.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2018 at 6:08 PM, CoolioD1 said:

first man maybe i'm wrong but there's always that one movie everyone's calling out in january that ends up whiffing and that one's giving me that feeling. idk maybe i'm just disappointed in chazelle that film just seems like such a safe direction to turn.

called it a year ago maybe? now it's gonna come back and get 11 nominations because i quoted this.

WGA thoughts: expected all around. Swap Vice with The Favourite and I think that's the Oscar lineup for original while Adapted will be 5/5.

The VFX bakeoff sounds pretty competitive this time around. Christopher Robin and JW are for sure dead, and it doesn't sound like First Man has enough support. Outside of IW and BP (maybe Solo too), everything else sounds fair game.

• Like 1

A bit surprised BP didn't sneak in with ACE

Guilds support, before DGA and CAS

with 7 noms

Star is Born - PGA, ACE, ASC, ADG, SAG, WGA, CSA

with 5 noms

Blackkkansman - PGA, SAG, WGA, ACE, CSA

Crazy Rich Asians - PGA, SAG, ACE, ADG, CSA

Roma - PGA, WGA, ASC, ADG, ACE

with 4 noms

Favourite - PGA, ACE, ADG, ASC 

Black Panther - PGA, SAG, WGA, ADG

Green Book - PGA, WGA, ACE, CSA

Vice - PGA, WGA, ACE, CSA

Bohemian Rhapsody - PGA, SAG, ACE, ADG

with 3 noms

A quiet place - PGA, WGA, ADG

First man - ACE, ADG, ASC

20 hours ago, Slambros said:

I'm sure it can still get Foreign Feature and Cinematography, but I think that'll be about it. I was predicting Joanna Kulig for Actress, but that's such a competitive field and she hasn't shown up enough.

They will go for Yalita if they want to reward non-english performance, I feel there are chances yalita could still sneak in best actress category, her presence in the golden globe night, sitting right next to winner Cauron certainly helps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripe said:

A bit surprised BP didn't sneak in with ACE

Guilds support, before DGA and CAS

with 7 noms

Star is Born - PGA, ACE, ASC, ADG, SAG, WGA, CSA

with 5 noms

Blackkkansman - PGA, SAG, WGA, ACE, CSA

Crazy Rich Asians - PGA, SAG, ACE, ADG, CSA

Roma - PGA, WGA, ASC, ADG, ACE

with 4 noms

Favourite - PGA, ACE, ADG, ASC 

Black Panther - PGA, SAG, WGA, ADG

Green Book - PGA, WGA, ACE, CSA

Vice - PGA, WGA, ACE, CSA

Bohemian Rhapsody - PGA, SAG, ACE, ADG

with 3 noms

A quiet place - PGA, WGA, ADG

First man - ACE, ADG, ASC

CSA?

19 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i agree. star is born is still a strong contender for the win

Same. If Globes showed anything is that it can't win 3-4 big oscars like some were predicting a month ago because nothing sweeps anymore. ASIB winning "just" BP, Song and one of Cooper's multiple possible nominations is more in line with how movies are winning in the current system. The BP-Actress-Actor-Song and change that we thought could happen wasn't very realistic. 

Song is pretty much locked and Gaga seems dead at Actress. If Cooper gets one of Actor-Director-Screenplay, BP can happen. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

DGA:

definitely seals it as roma, star is born and BKKK as top three. one of those getting best picture. vice and green book too divisive to win. and one of those two (or maybe both) will miss best director for someone artier like Lanthimos or Jenkins. DGA usually goes more populist so coogler not getting this probs means no oscar nod.