Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Roma might be in front, but I have no idea what is winning BP, it's gonna be the 4th year in a row that we don't have a locked BP winner before the ceremony. It's becoming a trend and I'm not sure we can attribute it to the category expansion since until half a decade ago the BP winner was usually locked after the major guilds, in some cases even sooner.

I haven't seen half the BP nominated movies yet and my faves look dead as contenders (ASIB, Klansman), but this is good for drama. 

Roma likely wins cause it has narrative (first foreign to win best Picture which would be historical), Director remains unchallenged, it isn't divisive and it over-performed with acting categories. 

BP for NGNG shock (yes, I still believe). it has narrative and narrative is everything. 

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Roma might be in front, but I have no idea what is winning BP, it's gonna be the 4th year in a row that we don't have a locked BP winner before the ceremony. It's becoming a trend and I'm not sure we can attribute it to the category expansion since until half a decade ago the BP winner was usually locked after the major guilds, in some cases even sooner.

I haven't seen half the BP nominated movies yet and my faves look dead as contenders (ASIB, Klansman), but this is good for drama. 

Outside of best picture, the winner of best director and all 4 acting categories were very much line up with major awards, the suspense of the race in all those categories were killed by the over-exposure of award season. 

I suggest oscar to go fully preferential voting system in all categories to make the oscar more fun to catch 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Outside of best picture, the winner of best director and all 4 acting categories were very much line up with major awards, the suspense of the race in all those categories were killed by the over-exposure of award season. 

I suggest oscar to go fully preferential voting system in all categories to make the oscar more fun to catch 

Yeah but that was always the case. Every year since forever most of the big awards are locked in advance and there's maybe one or two at best that are actually races till oscar night.

Picture is the outlier the last 3-4 years and I don't think it's just because of the preferential ballot. Hurt Locker, King's Speech, Artist, Argo and Birdman were all in the preferential ballot era and that didn't stop them from sweeping the guilds and walk into the ceremony with the BP prize 100% locked. For whatever reason the various awards bodies started doing their own thing the last few years, or maybe it's just happenstance and there just wasn't that one movie for all to line up behind it.

Preferential ballot would be nonsence in 5-slot categories and wouldn't change much. If people think it's time for Glen Close or they really love that guy that looks just like Freddie Mercury, they would still go all in and wouldn't matter who got more 2nd place placements. I guess you could expand all categories to 10 to make it more possible for upsets but that would be a disaster. There's been so many stories in the press about academy members not bothering to watch many of the movies or just voting for the stuff they care about and fill in everything else at random. Imagine give those people 20+ categories to rank 10 nominees in each one. 

Picture - A Star is Born
Director - Spike Lee

Actor - Christian Bale

Actress - Glenn Close

Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali

Supporting Actress - Regina King

Original Screenplay - The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay - A Star is Born

Animated Feature Film - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Foreign Language Film - Roma

Documentary - RBG

Documentary Short - A Night at The Garden

Live Action Short - Fauve

Animated Short - Bao

Original Score - If Beale Street Could Talk

Original Song - Shallow

Sound Editing - First Man

Sound Mixing - Bohemian Rhapsody

Production Design - Black Panther

Cinematography - Roma

Makeup and Hairstyling - Vice

Costume Design - The Favourite

Film Editing - The Favourite

Visual Effects - Avengers: Infinity War

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

My current hope is for Green Book/Malek/Close victories because it'll be hilarious.

Close's performance is certainly no worse than Julianne in Still Alice and tbh much better than Meryl in Iron Lady and Kate in The Reader. Standard overdue veteran performance.

• Like 1

Picture - Roma

Director - Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Actor - Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Actress - Glenn Close, The Wife

Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Supporting Actress - Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Original Screenplay - The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay - BlacKkKlansman

Animated Feature Film - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Foreign Language Film - Roma

Documentary - RBG

Original Score - If Beale Street Could Talk

Original Song - "Shallow" from A Star is Born

Sound Editing - Roma

Sound Mixing - A Star is Born

Production Design - Black Panther

Cinematography - Roma

Makeup and Hairstyling - Vice

Costume Design - Black Panther

Film Editing - The Favourite

Visual Effects - Avengers: Infinity War

15 minutes ago, RichWS said:

bzb2h6vbxfdv9pnli6vi.gif

So who is gonna be the one to announce this year if Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody win? A big name of course since the Oscars only care about big stars (whatever that means in today's climate) presenting because apparently last year's acting winners are total nobodies in their eyes.

No way Green Book or bohemian will win BP.

The backlash for these two films are way more severe than La la land and 3 billboard. If even LLL and 3b with that momentum failed to get BP win, no way GB and BR can, not to mention both film have no directing nomination. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

So who is gonna be the one to announce this year if Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody win? A big name of course since the Oscars only care about big stars (whatever that means in today's climate) presenting because apparently last year's acting winners are total nobodies in their eyes.

I mean like who even won last year?

I can’t name them but I can name Tom Hardy!

Feature Film:
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma” *WINNER
Peter Farrelly, “Green Book”
Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

First-Time Feature Film Director:
Bo Burnham, “Eighth Grade” *WINNER
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Carlos Lopez Estrada, “Blindspotting”
Matthew Heineman, “A Private War”
Boots Riley, “Sorry to Bother You”

Documentary Feature:
Morgan Neville, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?”
RaMell Ross, “Hale County This Morning, This Evening”
Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin, “Free Solo”
Tim Wardle, “Three Identical Strangers” *WINNER
Betsy West and Julie Cohen, “RBG 

Cauron is now almost locked for best director awards unless Ang Lee for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon snub strike again.( Ang Lee won DGA and GG for best director in 2000 but lost to Traffic in Oscar)

8th grade finally have some award attention and beat Cooper! I seriously don't think cooper directing treatment for ASIB deserve any recognition to this extent. The film has limited style and pretty much will looked the same in any average director. ASIB isn't a great directing workship that I would like to show it to my student and this award season keep disagree with me until recently when cooper snubbed by oscar and now lost to 8th grade which indeed has much better direction .

11 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

It’s worth pointing out that every year, the Best Picture winner was also up for a BOFFY. That rules out Panther, Green Book, Vice, and BoRap for potential wins...

I mean, it’s worked like clockwork before...

You know what they say...

Rules are meant to be broken...

😬