Liam Neeson, Widows

David Tennant, Mary Queen of Scots

Supporting Actress

Elizabeth Debicki, Widows

Claire Foy, First Man

Lupita Nyongo, Black Panther

Margot Robbie, Mary Queen of Scots

Marina de Trevira, Roma

I predict this exact line-up...won't pan out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

Emily Blunt seems like she could easily snag a Golden Globe now, but I won’t say anything about the Oscars til we actually approach it.

They nominated her for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, of all things, so we can easily pencil her in there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I really don't see how a James Gray sci-fi movie is gonna be an oscar thing. Stranger stuff has gotten in the BP lineup this decade, but it's still a James Gray movie. 

A fish fucking movie just won Best Picture. I'd say nothing is impossible now.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

also also 20CF are giving it the same release strategy they gave the revenant/hidden figures/the post the last few years so obviously they see potential there.

I guess that's the only thing that makes it look like a possibility. But the project looking more commercial than your regular James Gray movie doesn't say much. Lost City of Z did look more commercial on paper too.

Thoughts on Life Itself? Fogelman can be hit or miss, and the trailer looks a bit generic. The September release doesn’t help either.

However, This Is Us is definitely winning over a lot of people, and if he can deliver something on that caliber or higher, it may be a potential player.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

Thoughts on Life Itself? Fogelman can be hit or miss, and the trailer looks a bit generic. The September release doesn’t help either.

However, This Is Us is definitely winning over a lot of people, and if he can deliver something on that caliber or higher, it may be a potential player.

I feel like Life Itself is definitely a potential player. I feel like it has that same feel of hardcore sentiment that This Is Us has, and I feel like the trailer, which was more of a TV spot than a trailer, would definitely benefit from more of an actual trailer; in other words, I think thay spot, which was actually aired during the recent season finale of This Is Us, sold the film short, because the film itself looked very well shot, and the actors starring in the film are all notable -- especially Oscar Isaac and Annette Bening. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong, because smaller slice-of-life films historically have a hard time getting Oscar-nominated unless it is undeniably great like Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, and Lady Bird. It might come down to the script, as it arguably did for all three of those examples...

Edited by slambros

A lot more people on AW have been reading the Dick Cheney script:

It's probably not winning picture and will probably have a decent amount of detractors

The main three (Bale/Adams/Carell) could all win

Adams has a supporting role but could be frauded into lead

Rockwell doesn't have a big role and isn't in much of the film; nothing in the script screams a nomination

Slightly spoilery blurb about Carell

Spoiler

He has a big role in the first act but fades a bit until the ending. If Supporting Actor is tough this year, that may go against him

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hide contents

He has a big role in the first act but fades a bit until the ending. If Supporting Actor is tough this year, that may go against him

that's exactly the case with Mahershala Ali/Mark Rylance/Allison Janney's winning performances though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A lot more people on AW have been reading the Dick Cheney script:

It's probably not winning picture and will probably have a decent amount of detractors

The main three (Bale/Adams/Carell) could all win

Adams has a supporting role but could be frauded into lead

Rockwell doesn't have a big role and isn't in much of the film; nothing in the script screams a nomination

Reveal hidden contents

Weren't early test screenings for the movie extremely mixed?