Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Just now, The Last Panda said:

You expect the Oscars to finally go mainstream and nominate a 300m+ Blockbuster on the levels of Black Panther???

It'll be a risk, for sure, but I think the film has all the ingredients for it to get a nom.  I trust in visionary director Bruce Macdonald (The Perfect Wave) and visionary co-director Gabriel Sabloff (WWJD What Would Jesus Do? The Journey Continues)

A long list of potential films, including studio (If I missed anything, lemme know):

Ad Astra (Fox)-If it gets a qualifying release

Backseat (Annapurna)

Bad Times at the El Royale (Fox)

If Beale Street Could Talk (Annapurna)

Beautiful Boy (Amazon)

The Best of Enemies (N/A)

Black Klansmen (Focus)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox)

Boy Erased (Focus)

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (Amazon)

The Favorite (Searchlight)

First Man (Universal)

The Front Runner (N/A)

Killers of the Flower Moon (N/A)

Life Itself (Amazon)

The Little Stranger (Focus)

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Amazon)

Mary, Queen of Scots (Focus)

Mid-90s (A24)

The Old Man and the Gun (Searchlight)

On the Basis of Sex (Focus)

Ophelia (N/A)

Roma (N/A)

The Seagull (SPC)

Under the Silver Lake (A24)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? (Annapurna)

Widows (Fox)

The Wife (SPC)

The Women of Marwen (Universal)

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Beautiful Boy (Amazon)

Chronicles meth addiction and recovery through the eyes of a father who watches his son as he struggles with the disease.

Well damn. Lil' Timmy Tim is really coming for that Oscar that he should be winning this year.

He and Lucas Hedges (Boy Erased sounds really promising as well) have to be the most promising under 25 male actors to come along in eons.

People seem to be ignoring Roma.

Cuaron's bound to get attention after Gravity, although it is his passion project (and 99% sure it's a spanish-language film) and passion projects seem to fair poorly with the academy, so maybe not.

Although he also finished production in March this year and it's still in post, which likely indicates there's some effects work to be done?  All he'll say is something big is in store but he doesn't want people to go in with expectations on what it is.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/alfonso-cuaron-shape-of-water-review-roma-production-release-1201887727/

Edited by New Year New Panda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

People seem to be ignoring Roma.

Cuaron's bound to get attention after Gravity, although it is his passion project (and 99% sure it's a spanish-language film) and passion projects seem to fair poorly with the academy, so maybe not.

Although he also finished production in March this year and it's still in post, which likely indicates there's some effects work to be done?  All he'll say is something big is in store but he doesn't want people to go in with expectations on what it is.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/alfonso-cuaron-shape-of-water-review-roma-production-release-1201887727/

Sounds like it could end up being a Shape of Water or a mother!. I'm sure it'll be a quality film though.

Best Picture:

If Beale Street Could Talk (Annapurna) (dir. Barry Jenkins)

Beautiful Boy (Amazon) (dir. Felix van Groningen) 

Boy Erased (Focus Features) (dir. Joel Edgerton)

The Favourite (Fox Searchlight) (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)

First Man (Universal) (dir. Damien Chazelle) 

The Little Stranger (Focus Features) (dir. Lenny Abrahamson)

Mid-90s (A24) (dir. Jonah Hill) 

Roma (N/A) (dir. Alfonso Cuaron

Under the Silver Lake (A24) (dir. David Robert Mitchell)

Widows (Fox) (dir. Steve McQueen)

Alt/Dark Horses: Annihilation (Paramount), Backseat (Annapurna), Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox), Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Fox Searchlight), The Front Runner (N/A), The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Amazon), Man and the Gun (Fox Searchlight),  Mary Poppins Returns (Disney), Queen of Scots (Focus Features), (N/A), A Quiet Place (Paramount), and The Seagull (Sony Pictures Classics)

On 1/1/2018 at 8:16 PM, filmlover said:

Well damn. Lil' Timmy Tim is really coming for that Oscar that he should be winning this year.

He and Lucas Hedges (Boy Erased sounds really promising as well) have to be the most promising under 25 male actors to come along in eons.

I will cry tears of joy if both of my boyfriends win the Oscar next year.

Best Picture

Black Klansman

First Man

If Beale Street Could Talk

The Little Stranger

Mary, Queen of Scots

Outlaw King

Roma

You Were Never Really Here

Under the Silver Lake

Widows

Best Animated

The Grinch

The Incredibles 2

Isle of Dogs

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Wreck-It Ralph 2

Alternate: Untitled LAIKA

My thoughts on what could happen from Sundance:

Hereditary will have Toni Collette in the conversation for a while, and it may expand beyond that with enough buzz. It definitely feels like the biggest hit of Sundance.

Leave No Trace might be a contender depending on what Bleecker Street does with it.

Collette is probably only a tech player. I don't think Bleecker Street will put enough funding towards a campaign for Knightley without good box office and focus on LNT instead.

A Kid Like Jake sounds like a crowdpleaser with some potential in the acting categories. It'd do well with someone like Amazon.

Wildlife totally depends on who picks it up.

Sorry to Bother You and Damsel sound really fun but nah

i could see like a best actor nod for ben foster for leave no trace or best actress for carey mulligan for wildlife they've both got great reviews but it really depends on how those races shake up. if best actor is as thin as it's been for the last couple years then maybe. there isn't a best pic contender in there i think. sometimes it happens.

• Like 2