That One Girl

That One Guy's Top 30 Films of 2017 (and other miscellaneous awards)

The Florida Project (dir. Sean Baker)

giphy.gif

Box Office: $5,293,567

RT: 95%

BOT User Scores: 3 A's, 1 B, 1 C, 0 D's, 0 F's

Essentially a plotless film, The Florida Project has to thrive solely on the strength of its actors and how much the audience will be engaged with the film due to its lack of a structure.  And it works!  At least for me; judging by the audience at my screening, I don't think everyone shares my thoughts.  Willem Dafoe gives an understated yet fantastic performance.  All the kids are phenomenal, acting exactly as you would expect kids this age to act while living in an environment like this.  Its ending will definitely leave viewers talking.  Very good example of an ending that you either love or hate (I loved it, but can definitely see how it might not appeal to others).  I can't wait to see what Sean Baker does next.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, That One Guy said:

#30:

Split (dir. M. Night Shyamalan)

tenor.gif?itemid=7649739

Box Office: $278,304,578

RT: 75%

BOT User Scores: 16 A's, 25 B's, 5 C's, 0 D's, 1 F

M. Night Shyamalan made a great movie without Bruce Willis in it (...for the most part)!  Holy shit!  Split, despite being overshadowed by Get Out as the superior horror film of the year, is an entertaining, highly engaging, and fun thrill ride.  It kind of falters a bit when it tries to explore darker themes, but when we have McAvoy going batshit insane in an Oscar-worthy role as a nine year old, a woman, and a beast, it's hard to complain.  I'm glad this movie exists, and fuck I can't wait for the sequel.

Really? You have that crap The beguiled before Split??????????? you must be drunk. Split is top 5 of the year. The beguiled was not good at all

• ...wtf 1

42 minutes ago, Alli said:

Really? You have that crap The beguiled before Split??????????? you must be drunk. Split is top 5 of the year. The beguiled was not good at all

Its his list. He can put whatever he wants whereever he wants. If you want to see a list where Split comes before The Beguiled, make your own :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its his list. He can put whatever he wants whereever he wants. If you want to see a list where Split comes before The Beguiled, make your own :P

I was just teasing him. we are cool.    :cheekkiss:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The Florida Project (dir. Sean Baker)

giphy.gif

Box Office: $5,293,567

RT: 95%

BOT User Scores: 3 A's, 1 B, 1 C, 0 D's, 0 F's

Essentially a plotless film, The Florida Project has to thrive solely on the strength of its actors and how much the audience will be engaged with the film due to its lack of a structure.  And it works!  At least for me; judging by the audience at my screening, I don't think everyone shares my thoughts.  Willem Dafoe gives an understated yet fantastic performance.  All the kids are phenomenal, acting exactly as you would expect kids this age to act while living in an environment like this.  Its ending will definitely leave viewers talking.  Very good example of an ending that you either love or hate (I loved it, but can definitely see how it might not appeal to others).  I can't wait to see what Sean Baker does next.

Man, it's your list but curious to see what you have a lot higher if this is this low. You guys go all out though man! Can appreciate that.

• Thanks 1

Honorable Mention:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)

giphy.gif

I'm now starting to see the downsides of not waiting to do my list.  I watched this last night, and it's truly a phenomenal movie and would've been in my top 10 if I waited to do this list.  It's twisted, fucked up, messes with your head, and gets under your skin.  You sit there, wanting to know all the answers, and never truly learning all the answers.  Lanthimos' trademark dark comedy takes somewhat of a backseat here.  This film gets in your head until you both want this film to end and want it to keep going.  A true kind of fucked up that's a rarity for movies nowadays.  How else are you supposed to describe a movie that opens with a 2 minute shot of an open heart surgery and contains a monologue that makes spaghetti terrifying and a scene where Colin Farrell smashes plates and screams about how he can't find the pubes of a virgin?

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Honorable Mention:

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)

giphy.gif

I'm now starting to see the downsides of not waiting to do my list.  I watched this last night, and it's truly a phenomenal movie and would've been in my top 10 if I waited to do this list.  It's twisted, fucked up, messes with your head, and gets under your skin.  You sit there, wanting to know all the answers, and never truly learning all the answers.  Lanthimos' trademark dark comedy takes somewhat of a backseat here.  This film gets in your head until you both want this film to end and want it to keep going.  A true kind of fucked up that's a rarity for movies nowadays.  How else are you supposed to describe a movie that opens with a 2 minute shot of an open heart surgery and contains a monologue that makes spaghetti terrifying and a scene where Colin Farrell smashes plates and screams about how he can't find the pubes of a virgin?

You haven’t finished your list yet! You easily could have retconned two movies into one slot and squeezed it in.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

John Wick: Chapter 2 (dir. Chad Stahelski)

giphy.gif

Box Office: $171,539,887

RT: 89%

BOT User Scores: 21 A's, 12 B's, 4 C's, 1 D, 1 F, and 1 old man who hates this film for some reason

I think the gif should be pretty self explanatory as to why this is on the list.

• Like 3

Spielberg (dir. Susan Lacy)

giphy.gif

Box Office: none because it went to HBO

RT: 94%

BOT User Scores: no RTM thread but I'd give it an A

One of the most fascinating documentaries I've seen in my life.  Spielberg is easily my favorite director (cliche, but true), and watching a film that highlights his entire career was like heaven to me.  This is exactly the kind of film that I can see inspiring people to become filmmakers of their own; it has that kind of effect on you.  This definitely should've been more than an HBO documentary.  Why a documentary this good didn't get released into theaters is somewhat baffling to me.

• Like 4