Brainbug

Do Bugs have good taste? Brainbugs Top 10 Movies of 2017

Im inspired by @New Year New Panda, @aabattery and @That One Guy to do my own list. Also, i dont want anyone to take me seriously anymore. I have shitloads of time today, so ill likely finish this list in less than 3 hours.

Note that i wasnt aible to see films such as Lady Bird, Three Billboards, Call Me By Your Name, Darkest Hour or Mollys Game, these smaller awards movies dont come out here before March/April, sometimes i have to wait nearly 1 year before i have a chance to see them. So this list is practically my favourite Blockbusters of 2017 list.

Honorable Mentions (aka you missed the Top 10, but just barely):

#15:

m-night-shyamalan-has-a-trailer-for-a-ne

Split was a very entertaining (horror)thriller and a welcome return to form for Syhamalamadingdong. McAvoy was great and even though the script could have been better and some of the actors giving at times mediocre performances, this was one hell of a fun time.

#14:

LEGO-Batman-Exclusive-Poster.jpg

The Lego Batman Movie is one of the better spoof films that came out of Hollywood in the last decade. Yes, the third act is overblown and the whole film felt like a 60-minute sketch parody stretched to 80 minutes, but i dont care. It is hilarious.

#13:

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-wallpaper.

GOTG Vol 2 isnt as good as GOTG Vol 1. It has pacing and tonal issues and the 3rd act in particular feels messy. Despite that, its also a ton of fun. Seeing these characters again is a pleasure and its one of the funniest Marvel Movies in recent years, while at the same time delivering one of the more emotional endings of the MCU. Also, the Soundtrack is fantastic as expected.

#12:

la-et-hc-get-out-horror-peele-20161004-s

Get Out is a very good thriller and also somewhat unique because of its themes of racism beeing front-and-center. Its also quite amusing at parts, though i didnt laugh at any point. Now, while i do think that the script, the performances, the editing and all of that is very solid (the film has practically no technical flaws), i dont see it as the Masterpiece that others do. Maybe its because im german and i cant relate to the situations shown in the film as much as Americans and especially African-Americans. But nevertheless, its very good.

#11:

coco2_8t9h.jpg

Coco is great. Enough said. Best Pixar film since Inside Out (okay that isnt hard).

If you thought that these honorable mentions are solid, then wait for the reveal of my Number 10, be ready to mock me, but im just honest :P

• Like 8

#10:

Spoiler

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Kong: Skull Island

Grade: 9/10
Tomatometer: 75%, 6.5 avg Rating

Box Office: 566,7M

I know, i know. I can hear you laugh. K:SKI is dumb, has some of the most cliche dialogue all year and wastes great actors like John Goodman or Brie Larson. I dont care though, like, at all. I love creature features, i adore them. Films like this one, Godzilla (2014), Jurassic World or Pacific Rim are movies where i simply ignore flaws that i woundt ignore with other movies. I just put this film in my Blu-Ray-player, laugh at the Dialogue and scene transitions and have one hell of a good time. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong cant come soon enough!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

#09:

Spoiler

tumblr_oqgt4tBFOt1s05hv8o2_500.gif

John Wick: Chapter 2

Tomatometer: 89%, 7.2 avg Rating

Box Office: 171,5M

This movie is just awesome. The wet dream of action fans that had enough of all the CGI-overkill and fast cuts (Taken, hmpf!), Keanu Reeves is back and hes just as great as the first time around, killing people for our pleasure. The only real flaw for me is that the reason for his actions could have been developed better, the script isnt the best. But whatever, the pencil scene alone makes up for that. It will be hard for John Wick: Chapter 3 to top this one.

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 1

#08:

Spoiler

k65czjvojpwq4rfuml1p.gif

Baby Driver

Tomatometer: 93%, 8.0 avg Rating

Box Office: 227M

Edgar Wright delivers once again, he truly is one of the most promising directos working today. Baby Driver has fantastic action scenes, one of the best soundtracks of the whole year and magnetic performances. Sure, its also very cheesy in some scenes and the romance is that of a fantasy movie: But this is not a realistic movie to begin with, so whatever. This film rocks.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

#07:

Spoiler

tumblr_oi6l4lX84U1vuvmg4o2_500.gif

Dunkirk

Tomatometer: 92%, 8.6 avg Rating

Box Office: 525,6M

Hail Nolan. Dunkirk looks absolutely phenomenal and i - beeing a history buff - cant praise the film enough for its portrayal of the Dunkirk evacuation. Small flaws in the historic accuracy can be ignored when one sees how brilliant this film is in the bigger picture. Its not about some of the trapped soliders, its about all of them. Its shows the brutality and uncertainty of war and how the life of a soldier can depend purely on luck. Despite beeing repetitive, it never feels long, you are always engaged in the sitiation. One of the great war movies of all time, this film proves that Nolan cant do wrong.

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 1

#06:

Spoiler

anigif_sub-buzz-30509-1501191266-12.gif

It

Tomatometer: 85%, 7.2 avg Rating
Box Office: 698,1M

This was the box office story of the year for me and its refreshing to see a film that actually really deserves it to break out as well. A future classic for sure, IT captures the sprit of Kings novel and delivers all the scares, laughs and exciting moments that we could have expected and more! Another movie on my list with a great soundtrack, this movie looks fantastic (no wonder when you hire the cinematographeur of the best-looking movie of 2016, The Handmaiden) and is SO entertaining. I cant wait to watch it again.

• Like 8

#05:

Spoiler

source.gif

Thor: Ragnarok

Grade: 10/10
Tomatometer: 92%, 7.5 avg Rating
Box Office: 848M

Well, there we go. Ragnarok is my favourite MCU movie, dethroning the first GOTG. I was a fan of Taika Waititi before and this explosion of fun just underlines that. Hemsworth is hysterical as Thor, Blanchett looks like she is truly enjoying beeing an evil b*tch and all of the side characters (especially Korg and Valkyrie) just really work for me. The humour was fantastic, the action looked just so god damn cool and...i just had a great time. I will be shocked if any Marvel movie can top this for me.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

#04:

Spoiler

tumblr_ot8kvevamt1qdhps7o4_r1_540.gif?w=

Blade Runner 2049

Tomatometer: 87%, 8.2 avg Rating
Box Office: 258,2M (:()

Objectively the best movie of 2017. BR 2049 is flawless. It looks incredible, it sounds incredible, it has actors in it giving fantastic performances and, once again, the soundtrack is very good. At nearly 3 hours and featuring a very slow pacing, it surely isnt for everyone (which the numbers sadly reflected), but its already a classic of sci-fi in my opinion. Its themes are as complex and thought-provoking as the ones from the original, maybe even more so. Thanks, Denis Villeneuve, please continue to make masterpieces.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

#04:

Reveal hidden contents

WTF

• Like 1

#03:

Spoiler

tumblr_otyl7ddSLb1srnwquo2_500.gif

War for the Planet of the Apes

Tomatometer: 93%, 8.1 avg Rating

Box Office: 490M

I really liked Rise. I loved Dawn. I loved War even more. Matt Reeves outdid himself, delivering one of the best-looking, gut-wrenching and thematically rich blockbusters in quite some time. Andy Serkis is perfect as always and WftPotA isnt your typical summer-explosion-fare: Its gritty, dark and extremely slow-paced, all for the better. Its also the only movie in my lifetime that was able to tear me up with its ending (in theaters). Perfect final chapter in maybe the best trilogy of the 2010s (so far).

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 8

#02:

Spoiler

wJmpmu.gif

Logan

Tomatometer: 93%, 7.9 avg Rating

Box Office: 617M

In my opinion the best SH film since TDK. Logan is the perfect final chapter for Hugh Jackmans Wolverine. It has the best pacing for any 2017 blockbuster, brutal, awesome action scenes and really emotional moments. Patrick Stewart and especially Dafne Keen shine as well, making for an extremely likable trio facing their destinys. Mangold directed the shit out of this movie and im super glad its a success, proving that the R-Rating isnt something to avoid at all costs for CBMs. In a just world, Jackmann would be nominated for Best Actor and Keen for best supporting actress.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 8

Ok, heres the real Number

#01:

Spoiler

source.gif

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Grade: 11/10
Tomatometer: 91%, 8.1 avg Rating

Box Office: 1B+ and counting

The best SW movie, dethroning ESB for me personally. It was everything i wanted and more. It was the needed step in the right direction for Disney's SW. It gave us countless Memes. I love this to pieces.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1