WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2018 Box Office Predictions

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think it could get there on a different date. The Nun will simply be taking away a lot of the demo.

The nun? That’s a horror. How are thos two targetting the same audience? I think skyscraper will come on top anyway. Waiting for the trailer but i believe it will be mindblowing

On 1/14/2018 at 11:51 PM, WrathOfHan said:

May 19

Slenderman: YOU KNOW HIS NAME. NOW, SEE THE ORIGIN NOBODY ASKED FOR! This movie has three big things going against it. One, the trailer is confusing as fuck and makes no goddamn sense. Two, this is coming after all of April’s horror movies, all of which are bound to be of much better quality. Finally, it’s now releasing against Deadpool. Sony is basically fucked with this date unless they take June 1 (please don’t). That said, being a Slenderman movie should at least draw some interest on OW. 15/35 (2.33x)

Untitled Deadpool Sequel: Superhero sequels have been on a bit of an upswing lately. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 increased over 50M from its predecessor, and Thor: Ragnarok managed to increase over 50%! On the other hand, you have stuff like Justice League that drops nearly a third from its predecessor. The Bob Ross trailer generated a lot of excitement and buzz online, and why wouldn’t it have? That trailer firmly put me in the increase camp (I was already there to begin with). However, I don’t think this new release date is particularly strong. Back on June 1, it had no direct competition for three weeks. Here, it faces Solo the following weekend and releases two weeks after Infinity War. Fox should have kept it on June 1 (and not just because it’s my birthday). Regardless of release date, I think this is coming in for a nice increase. 150/410 (2.73x)

Slender Man already moved to May 31 here last Friday. It is only a matter of days until Sony announces the June 1 release date in America tbh.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Slender Man already moved to May 31 here last Friday. It is only a matter of days until Sony announces the June 1 release date in America tbh.

Solo gonna get its legs cut out from under it now! 

On 1/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, WrathOfHan said:

March 9

A Wrinkle in Time: CONTROVERSY ALERT! I see all these 150M, 200M, even 250M+ predictions for this movie and go……… WHAT? A Wrinkle in Time has bomb written all over it. First off, the trailers are incredibly unclear as to what the film is about. The first trailer boils down to “Chris Pine is trapped, and only his daughter can save him…. Somehow!”, and the second trailer is even more confusing and practically sidelines Pine. The trailers rely solely on the visuals, which look good but shouldn’t be the main selling point without an easily digestible plot to market. In addition to being confusing, the trailers do not have many views on YouTube. The second trailer only has 2.9M views on Disney’s channel after about a month and a half, and the first isn’t much higher at 4.9M all the way from July. For an “original” Disney movie, this is pretty weak, and the like to dislike ratio is pretty bad for both trailers (82/18 for the second and 88/12 for the first). The main saving grace A Wrinkle in Time has is light competition in the family market. Ready Player One will attract families but is PG-13, and Sherlock Gnomes is a non-factor. Isle of Dogs likely won’t be expanding wide until April, and that appeals more to Wes Anderson’s fanbase than kids. Unless the movie is absolute shit, a 3x should happen. However, when the opening weekend is going to be low, legs can only do so much. 20/65 (3.25x)

can i dislike a post

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, WrathOfHan said:

January 19

12 Strong: This movie has a wide range where it could fall into: it could make as little as Only the Brave or more than Deepwater Horizon. On the one hand, trailer views are pretty good for this movie: the first trailer from October has 4.6M views while the second from last month has 1.7M views. The second trailer is ahead of Deepwater Horizon’s second trailer (1.4M views) after a month, so that is a good sign for buzz. However, the crew behind this movie raises some red flags. This is the director’s first movie, and the screenwriters both have polarizing track records. This is Ted Tally’s first movie since Red Dragon in 2002, and outside of that and Silence of the Lambs, he’s only written critically panned films. Peter Craig has a better slate having cowritten The Town, both Mockingjay films (those can be good or bad depending how you view it), and Blood Father. EC recently said he expects the movie to bomb, so I’ll take his word on it. 10/30 (3x)

Den of Thieves: Flop. NEXT? :sparta: 

Being serious for a moment, Den of Thieves has many things going against it. For starters, buzz is low, and the movie looks bad. This is another directorial debut, although this time it’s from the screenwriter of LONDON HAS FALLEN. WOW! It’s also aiming for the same demographics 12 Strong is, which has much more awareness. January needs a good flop, and Den of Thieves will fit that bill. 5/10 (2x)

Forever My Girl: I don’t know if this is even going wide given Roadside’s history. I got the trailer before Wonder, and it looks like a run of the mill movie you’d find on Lifetime or Hallmark. This won’t do well. 3/6 (2x)

Gotta start upping some of these older teen and adult-skewing movies...gonna miss low on all 3 of these after being low on Commuter and Insidious...you might want to put a little buff-up to some of these other low budget low key releases that used to be "Netflix material", but now may be "MoviePass material"...

July 20

Alita: Battle Angel: I want.... your eyeman. I want those things you see through.” Alita faced a lot of WTF reactions from the internet with those uncanny valley eyes, but aside from that, there’s a lot to get excited about here. This is the first thing James Cameron is involved in since Avatar 9 years ago, and Robert Rodriguez is bound to provide some unique visuals. The first trailer has 7M views on YouTube after over a month, which is great for an anime/manga property that is not well-known to American audiences. Being attached to many TLJ showings raised awareness, and Fox has over two months between Deadpool and this to create a stellar marketing campaign. While Robert Rodriguez raises some quality concern, I fully expect James Cameron’s intended vision to shine. The range here is big, so I’ll stay somewhat conservative for now. 40/140 (3.5x)

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again: A sequel nobody asked for! Cher! BOT memes! What more could you want? Here We Go Again is undoubtedly shaping up to be the event of the summer for women, and it isn’t too hard to see why. The first film was a WOM hit both here and overseas, and the trailer is generating lots of buzz online to its target audience. My only concern is legs as this will be facing a fair amount of competition in August, but the first two weekends should go strongly. 35/105 (3x)