WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2018 Box Office Predictions

On 1/7/2018 at 12:08 AM, CoolEric258 said:

Maybe it's because I'm on a Jumanji high, but I think there's a decent chance Rampage can go above $200M. Trailer views are stupid high, it fits Johnson's wheelhouse, I'm not super high on Quiet Place and New Mutants like you are, and the only thing it has to deal with for an entire month is Infinity War, which could very well be a Civil War and be inaccessible or uninteresting for newcomers and casual fans, and since it's the only alternative until Memorial Day... (Yes, I know there's Sldenderman and some dumb Melissa McCarthy and Johnny Knoxville comedy, but...c'mon.)

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Good call. Warcraft does seem like a good comp for Alita. 

I didn't mean to comp Alita with Warcraft. I was just sharing gif.

You seems to be nervous Double A battery. My predictions are Alita over AIW :hahaha::hahaha:

49 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I didn't mean to comp Alita with Warcraft. I was just sharing gif.

You seems to be nervous Double A battery. My predictions are Alita over AIW :hahaha::hahaha:

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Domestic Total Gross: $334,191,110

Pretty ballsy prediction, but could happen if it pulls a Jumanji. :thinking:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2018 at 3:26 AM, WrathOfHan said:

May 26

Solo: A Star Wars Story: Here is a prediction many of you have been waiting for! Solo is the second Star Wars spinoff after Rogue One, though excitement is nowhere near the level of that. We’re all familiar with the behind the scenes nightmares, but they lead to serious quality concerns. Because of how long reshoots are taking, we still don’t have a trailer, and one won’t be dropping until Black Panther is out in a month. That only gives Disney three and a half months to build up buzz for this! It does not help that this is coming after The Last Jedi, a film with godawful legs for the holidays. Many feel this is a highly unnecessary film, and Harrison Ford is Han Solo to a lot of people. This movie likely would have been much more successful if it was released a few months later, but because it is sticking to Memorial Day, late legs will be impossible with the onslaught of summer releases. If it drops from TLJ similarly from TFA to RO, that gets it to around 350M, but given this is releasing in the summer and not over Christmas, that drop could be much worse. I think this will be the movie that makes Disney seriously reconsider their gameplan for Star Wars. 110/130/290 (2.23x from 4 day/2.64x from 3 day)

You sensed the floppage

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2018 at 3:48 AM, WrathOfHan said:

June 8

Ocean’s 8: I never realized Ocean’s 8 is opening on the eighth :lol: This movie could go either way. It is hard to get a grasp on what the internet thinks of the trailer because MRAs are too busy trying to make it seem like the worst movie ever made. This will benefit from a starved market for women, but legs entirely depend on quality. Incredible and Jurassic World should be taking up this movie’s demo as well being four-quadrant blockbusters, so its quality is critical. For now, I’ll predict a total around Ghostbusters 2016.  40/120 (3x)

Right in the middle of tracking. You're good

On 1/17/2018 at 6:52 AM, WrathOfHan said:

June 15

Incredibles 2: I don’t know if you guys have taken a look at the trailer views, but they are pretty fucking incredible! The teaser has over 78M views after two months, which is one of the most-viewed trailers in the history of YouTube (maybe second biggest behind Infinity War). There is clearly interest for this movie beyond internet circles, and some of you are sleeping on this. Chances are this becomes one of Pixar’s three highest grossing films domestically, and it may even become their highest grossing depending how July fares. Given my level of excitement for this, I absolutely must make a CONTROVERSIAL prediction: this is beating Finding Dory. 140/500 (3.57x)

Didn't I2 come at 140M on tracking? This is sheer luck...

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Right in the middle of tracking. You're good

Not long ago tracking was saying 170M OW for Solo, I'd wait with these congratulations until it actually happens.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:52 PM, WrathOfHan said:

June 15

Incredibles 2: I don’t know if you guys have taken a look at the trailer views, but they are pretty fucking incredible! The teaser has over 78M views after two months, which is one of the most-viewed trailers in the history of YouTube (maybe second biggest behind Infinity War). There is clearly interest for this movie beyond internet circles, and some of you are sleeping on this. Chances are this becomes one of Pixar’s three highest grossing films domestically, and it may even become their highest grossing depending how July fares. Given my level of excitement for this, I absolutely must make a CONTROVERSIAL prediction: this is beating Finding Dory. 140/500 (3.57x)

On 1/17/2018 at 12:39 AM, CoolEric258 said:

Y'ALL 👏 ARE 👏 ASKING 👏 TO 👏 BE 👏 DISAPPOINTED

4Va9w.gif

tumblr_lrmgat3B4Z1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Hot take: Sorry for being a "BKB apologist," but I think Meg will probably gross around $65M. The last two shark movies were leggy hits, so having a big-budget tentpole version of it will entice the same crowd and likely some general audience members. Of course, the downside is that it's sharing a direct audience with Predator, but I think there's enough juice in the tank for the both to coexist and for Meg to do passable enough business.

Wow. I'm a fucking idiot.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:05 PM, WrathOfHan said:

August 10

The Meg: In (dis)honor of BKB, I will be formatting this prediction like one of his posts!! If it wasn’t for Rampage, The MEG would have taken the year’s crown for dumbest blockbuster, but such is luck.. Can’t compete with Dwayne Johnson!! This movie has JASON STATHAM fighting a giant shark.. How could millennials not go for it?? Well, the movie has already been rated over 7 months out, so WB is keeping this on the shelf.. Does that not look a little suspect?? There’s certainly an audience for dumb action movies, but we’ll see if THE MEG can live up to BKB’s hype..

wtf.gif

15/40 (2.67x)

You SURELY meant those 40M for its opening weekend, not total, right? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You made some good calls in this thread and some bad ones.....that will happen when you predict the whole year.  You called O8 pretty much bang on and you tanked on MEG and Den of Thieves.  Pretty good call on Truth or Dare as well.

• Like 1