Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

2 hours ago, baumer said:

It only doesn't feel that way because of what TFA did.  TLJ's run is disappointing, but you can't ever say that a 600 million dollar grossing film isn't huge.

It’s disappointzing all on its own looking through the closer to rogue one thread even you said if it opened higher than 200 it should have cleared 700 with ease

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

It’s disappointzing all on its own looking through the closer to rogue one thread even you said if it opened higher than 200 it should have cleared 700 with ease

Disappointing is different than being a big hit.  

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

This has to be the year with most interesting runs...

Get Out,Wonder Woman,It and now Jumanji.

Nah, nothing tops 2015 in recent years. You had FF7 great DOM and absolutely insane OS run, AOU's gigantic but according to this forum still shitty run, Jurassic Worlds outbreak into oblivion, IO's love pairing with JW and then to top it all, the most crazy run this decade with TFA.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, baumer said:

I said he could hate it, read my post again.  But to claim that empirically speaking Titanic is a horrible film, and not just his opinion, is wrong.

when you say "this is rubbish" its self evident you are stating your opinion. Everyone knows their opinion is theirs and no one elses, and not objectively factual. You are just being dense.

Titanic is a rubbish film. Dont see what that has to do with Box office, there's loads of crap that makes big money. In fact that's probably why they do well - lowest common denominator, it appeals to as many people as possible and therefore is not going to be the perfect people for many individual people. my favourite movie of the year so far grossed $22M and I think it's absoultely terrific, but it isn't going to appeal to an awful lot of people.

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't agree with him. Titanic is great in my opinion. But he has a right to that opinion, same as you have a right to your opinion that Citizen Kane is a piece of shit. I disagree with that opinion as well. They're both great movies. But you both have a right to hate them if you want. 

I love Citizen Kane and consider Titanic to be garbage. ;)

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here.  All I got from it is that you hated Titanic and that some films on HV did very well.  

Based on quality?  Quality film making?  Your opinion is your own and you are entitled to it but to emphatically and empirically state that Titanic is horrible is wrong.  It excelled in every way possible.

critical darling

Multiplier of more than 20

All time highest grossing film of all time

Won a record tying set of Oscars

It simply doesn't get any better than that.  There's no film in the history of film that has ever done what Titanic did.  It set box office records, set oscar records, had an insane multiplier and then to top it all off, it was a HV monster as well.  As I said, no film in cinematic history did what Titanic did.  So it's fine for you not to like it, but you are in the minority and to say it was a piece of shit artistically is really not fair at all.   

I am tired to bring out another titanic war, but any attempt to downgrade the quality of titanic, deserved to be bashed......

Titanic, simply the world phenomena, it's the blockbuster that "agreed" by the world, we all know superhero craze doesn't hit japan/euro quite like the others territory, and we all know chinese and asian doesn't really hit with Star Wars too, we all know oscar didn't really like big budget blockbuster hit, but titanic conquer all of them....

• Like 3

I know that I will run to all the subjectivity shit but for me there is no reasonable being that can say Titanic is not a quality movie without being a troll.

It's one of those films you respect artistically even If you know it is not your cup of tea.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Based on what, exactly? Based on its box office success, nothing deserves to beat out Titanic because it was an historic box office run that hasn't been matched in ticket sales or even close by either Avatar or The Force Awakens.

Based on quality, I would argue just about every blockbuster made in the last 20 years deserves to beat out that piece of shit movie. Your results may vary, I know other people enjoy it, but there's a difference between "deserving" of something monetarily and artistically. If movies made what they deserved to make, I wouldn't be living in a world where a goddamn piece of ass like Suicide Squad beats Blade Runner 2049. But here we are.

Let's not forget that ultimately the box office isn't a security blanket for our opinions. I know people including myself love to use it that way sometimes, but it's not reality. It simply indicates how many people chose to consume a given piece of media in a given distribution platform; it indicates nothing about what they thought of said film. That is literally it. It's actually an astonishingly narrow way to measure success as some properties ended up achieving most of their lasting success on home video, things like Austin Powers that probably doesn't get an Austin Powers 2 except for the home video success, or something like Boondock Saints which I don't honestly know a single person who saw that movie in theaters. Yet I know a dozen people who count it among their favorite films because we all saw it later. 

PS: I'll end the laughably silly "legs" argument real fast. The Blair Witch Project has some of the best legs in modern cinema history and managed most of its incredible gross after opening weekend. Yet I think MOST moviegoers agree that it was an enormous pile of crap. I don't know anyone who defends that film. I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen that went to theaters. But I guess its "amazing legs" indicate the incredible word of mouth that it was the greatest film of all time. OR, maybe they just indicated it was a curiosity and that people had to see for themselves. 

While I hated it, TBWP was beloved by movie critics of its time with 87% and a 7.7...audiences were way more on point with 56% and a 2.6 (should have been a 0% with a 0...but I digress)...