FantasticBeasts

POLL: Most Surprising BO run of 2017.

Most Surprising BO run of 2017  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following movies' BO performance was the most positively surprising one throughout 2017?

• Get Out
    • Split
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • It
    • Wonder Woman
    • Wonder
    • Daddy's Home 2
    • Murder on the Orient Express
    • Baby Driver
    • The Boss Baby
    • Annabelle:Creation
    • Girls Trip
    • Dunkirk
    • Jumanji
    • The Greatest Showman
    • Other

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Dunkirk in the UK sort of makes sense as Dunkirk is a landmark moment in the nation's history.

In hindsight it makes sense but then again the same can be said with wonder woman (feminism had a massive peak this year) and IT (massively iconic character not been put to the big screen in years.

While Get Out's run was amazing in a nobody-could-have-predicted way, it is almost expected now that at least a couple of low-budget horror movies will break out every year. So Wonder Woman was a bigger surprise to me, doubling my "optimistic" prediction and burying the idea that female superhero films would always flop.

11 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

Lets not forget wolf warrior 2. The film made more than Guardians 2 and ive never even heard of it.

That is true, it might be the most significant too. It won't be long before a Chinese movie tops the year WW.

And it will be the most surprising BO run ever to 99% of this forum. :sparta:

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Why would anyone vote for anything other than Get Out?

Why would be GO more surprising than IT? Yeah, the legs were great, but in the end it was an R-rated horror movie that made 175m and IT doubled that. I remember people on this forum debating whether IT would end up grossing more than GO or not and it made almost 330m. How is that not surprising. Plus, it also did extraordinarily well OS, making more than most blockbusters WW. GO did decent OS, but nothing more. 

• Like 3

Writing was on the wall for It with those huge trailer views and popularity of the miniseries. Still blew past most peoples expectations, but it didn't come out of absolutely nowhere like Get Out did. I don't think anyone expected Get Out to do what it did. 

• Like 5

re: It v Get Out

It is at least a major and beloved* Steven King tale.  It might not be the Beauty and the Beast of the King canon, but it's easily one of his most well known and popular works.

* as much as anything horror related can be 'beloved'

Get Out was made by one half of Key and Peele.

C'mon guys.  This isn't even close.

• Like 1

Let me put it to you this way.

I start a club in 2016 and say:  New Movie Based on bestselling Steven King novel > 300m DOM

I start a club in 2016 and say:  New non-parody R-rated Horror Movie by Jordan Peele > 150 DOM

Which one gets laughed at more?  Hell, which one is in danger of being locked for trolling?

Sure, both get laughed at.  The idea of an R-rated horror movie doing more than 300 DOM is insane.

I still say the Jordan Peele one gets laughed at more.  Especially when it comes out that it isn't a parody comedy but a straight horror-comedy made on a 5m budget.

It's like saying: Which box office run was more surprising The Blair Witch Project or The Sixth Sense back in 1999.  BOTH are surprising.  But one is more than the other.  The comparison isn't perfect due to the lack of Shyamalan's name at the time.  But it had big name stars in it with big name producers behind it. 

• Like 3

There Tele’s club for over 400m for WW, there was My IT over Gravity club, plenty of people had 500m predicts for Beauty, That One Guy has a Jumanji over 300m post in the Bold 2017 prediction thread but nobody saw Get Out coming till it happened.

So Get Out was definitely the most surprising.

Edited by New Year New Panda
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

get out but also wonder's gross was an impressive surprise because i'm not sure it's a real movie.

Wonder would also be up there, as really nobody predicted that either.

Im judging surprising by meaning literally nobody saw it coming.  I believe Wonder and Get Out were the only two where nobody predicted that level of a break out.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Wonder would also be up there, as really nobody predicted that either.

Im judging surprising by meaning literally nobody saw it coming.  I believe Wonder and Get Out were the only two where nobody predicted that level of a break out.

But at least someone stanned for Wonder before it opened:)...(even if I stanned all 3 movies that weekend and only 1 really broke out:)...

9 hours ago, aabattery said:

Writing was on the wall for It with those huge trailer views and popularity of the miniseries. Still blew past most peoples expectations, but it didn't come out of absolutely nowhere like Get Out did. I don't think anyone expected Get Out to do what it did. 

Trailer views certainly made it appear that it was going to be big, but if you don't go by trailer views, if you just go by historical comparisons, what IT did doesn't make any sense.  There's no other horror film, with the exception of perhaps Sixth Sense and the Exorcist, that had this kind of impact world wide.

• Like 2

If I was going to go with most impressive, I’d probably choose IT because an opening and total like it did was entirely unprecedented.  Everything else had some precedent to it.

However I couldn’t say surprising because there were a few of us that predicted it.