a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

8 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

R1 dropped 32.4% on the same day (20th Day) and TLJ is ahead of R1 by 20.36% for the day.

I don't think TLJ will increase over 55% on Friday or Saturday like Rogue One did. Holiday boost is artificially inflating TLJ compared to R1 right now.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't think TLJ will increase over 55% on Friday or Saturday like Rogue One did. Holiday boost is artificially inflating TLJ compared to R1 right now.

It seems like people don't understand this lesson from last weekend.

It will get another large drop this weekend and then the box office starting on Monday will slow down to a crawl. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Which is a stellar number. 

A massive success. 

Just because people had outrageous expectations doesn't mean the film has done poorly as some would have you think.

I dont think 700 million after a 220 million rather backloaded opening was an outrageous expectation. 

• Like 7

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I dont think 700 million after a 220 million rather backloaded opening was an outrageous expectation. 

BOM article was very confident in 750+.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4354&p=.htm

Projecting Last Jedi's future prospects using the multipliers for previous $200+ million openers, as well as Rogue One, gives us the following possibilities based on the film's estimated $220 million debut:

• Force Awakens (3.8x multiplier) - $831.2 M
  • Rogue One (3.4x multiplier) - $755.11 M
  • Jurassic World (3.1x multiplier) - $687.38 M
  • Avengers (3x multiplier) - $661.25 M

Using these numbers as a starting point, a domestic performance anywhere from $750-830 million feels a safe bet and it will be interesting to see where it ends up, especially considering some of these early responses from moviegoers. Of course, Last Jedi's performance doesn't end at the domestic box office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If the delayed Winter Break does help TLJ during the weekedays, does it also mean that the weekend drop will be a bit harsher?? R1 dropped 55.5% and TFA dropped 53.1% on their respective 4th weekends. So TLJ should drop closer to 60% if we take the weekday holiday boost into account, right?? Also, is the weather in the US likely to play a part during next weekend?? Will it hurt the BO??

• Like 2

With the current blizzard forecast, this is how I expect the next few days at the box office to behave:

Thursday: I will be SHOCKED if anything drops less than 7% today, and some drops could be approaching 15%. In 2007, older skewing movies dropped very little (1.9% or less save for The Holiday) while family films dropped between 4.1-8.9%. Movies losing showings to previews like Downsizing and Father Figures will be affected the most.

Friday: The only movies increasing over 100% will be limited expansions. Back in 2007, the only movies in the top 15 to increase over 100% were Children of Men (expansion), NATM (108.5), Happyness (117.7), Dreamgirls (104.4), and We are Marshall (109.9). 80-85% should be the most any movie increases tomorrow, and some movies might be in the 60s.

Saturday: As the weather starts clearing up, expect bigger increases. Outside of Dreamgirls and the openers, older skewing movies were in the 20s and 30s in 2007 while family movies were a bit higher. NATM increased 47.5%, so Jumanji and Showman could be in for a 60% increase.

Sunday: I'm expecting somewhat average decreases. Any gains from the storm being over will be cancelled out by many schools going back the next day. Using last year as a comparison,  the top 12 dropped between 28.2-38.5% with most movies landing in the low-30s. Older skewing movies should be O/U 30%, but I'd expect the younger skewing stuff to be in the mid to high 30s and POTENTIALLY low-40s.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think what needs to be read by the analysts is the fact that drops are bigger when your OWs are that front loaded.

We've seen it from Avengers to Age of Ultron.

We are seeing it with Ep 7 to Ep 8

I fully expect to see it this summer with JW to JW:FK

Infinity War may or may not be an outlier but we'll see. 

1 minute ago, MaxAggressor said:

If the delayed Winter Break does help TLJ during the weekedays, does it also mean that the weekend drop will be a bit harsher?? R1 dropped 55.5% and TFA dropped 53.1% on their respective 4th weekends. So TLJ should drop closer to 60% if we take the weekday holiday boost into account, right?? Also, is the weather in the US likely to play a part during next weekend?? Will it hurt the BO??

Yeah, if the weather is bad I would not be surprised by a 60% weekend drop.

Looking at the Tuesday numbers...when you exclude Star Wars weekly drop each year (2016 and 2017), the average was 53% drop from Tuesday to Tuesday for the other Top 11 movies last year and 40% average drop from Tuesday to Tuesday for the other Top 11 movies this year.

Rogue One and Last Jedi both dropped 72% from Tuesday to Tuesday. Rogue's drop was 19% worse than the other 2016 movies, whereas Last Jedi's drop was 32% worse than the other 2017 movies. If you took 40% plus 19%, you end up with a 59% weekly drop which would have been a gross of $11.37m on Tuesday instead of the $7.88m actual Tuesday gross.

Even with much more holiday boost for Tuesday-Thursday compared to Rogue One at the same point, TLJ is simply not performing at the level we would have thought. A few days ago looking at the 2006 weekly drops for this same Tuesday-Thursday period, one would think Last Jedi should earn 100% more than Rogue One every day during this period. It's running 20-25% ahead.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I think what needs to be read by the analysts is the fact that drops are bigger when your OWs are that front loaded.

We've seen it from Avengers to Age of Ultron.

We are seeing it with Ep 7 to Ep 8

I fully expect to see it this summer with JW to JW:FK

Infinity War may or may not be an outlier but we'll see. 

Or maybe WOM had an effect? 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Or maybe WOM had an effect? 

Only on the internet do I hear complaints. The multiple people I've spoken to wholly enjoy the film AND they knew of the RT score. They couldn't relate. 

I'd be more likely to say there is a camp that still blindly trusts RT too much vs actual WOM.

• Like 1